1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quite! Horrible resale value!!! This was over $100K not that long ago....
That's kinda my point. This is a ton of HP for $23K, in a fine German automobile. Not sure why the resale is so low, unless this one's been crashed or something. I wonder what this thing does at a stop light. Would be fun to smoke a Mustang or a Camaro with this thing. Another candidate for a "sleeper".

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Gonna be a bang to your bank account once shit starts failing.

Probably another bang when your head hits your desk in frustration.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
That's kinda my point. This is a ton of HP for $23K, in a fine German automobile. Not sure why the resale is so low, unless this one's been crashed or something. I wonder what this thing does at a stop light. Would be fun to smoke a Mustang or a Camaro with this thing. Another candidate for a "sleeper".

I never miss the Mecum auto auction. Those are the best bargain going today. That is right around selling price. Yeah, check it out. I would!!! Great deal. Unless there is some history or extreme miles. You are right about what you said!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Gonna be a bang to your bank account once shit starts failing.

Probably another bang when your head hits your desk in frustration.
That's one of the main reasons why those cars value drop so much after just a few years. Maintenance is high $$$$ and getting someone that works or wants to work on them is also a pain. They don't see a $25k car when you bring it in to repair, they see a $100k and charge accordingly. One of the main reasons why I stay from higher end imports. I'm a huge BMW fan but I constantly hear my friends complain about how much it cost to maintain.

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
Resale drops a lot on these large German makes (S Class, 7 Series, A8...) -

Many of these start $100K (MB) before options - they don't sell in high quantities ~ 2k / year and with the small market as New, the demand as used is pretty similar.

Like anything - how it was maintained is very important. No service history = no sale.

And checking for leaks or deferred maintenance. Having someone with the "trade every 3 years" mindset that skimps on maintenance is another one to get away from.

Anything V12 powered is going to be more expensive than the V8 counterparts for maintenance.

V12 S Class isn't going to be a hot rod. More like turbine-smooth torque and power that keeps coming on; these are effortless highway cruisers.
-they're solid cars - bank vault solid and quiet. You can't even compare a Lincoln Town Car against it - and the features in the S Class are more than whatever turned up in a Lincoln or Caddy DTS or CT6.

I test drove a SL600 for friends that were looking for one - that had the smoothest power delivery and seemingly endless torque. That version cost $20K new over the V8 powered SL500 as an example.

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
The major "look out" item on S-Class would be the suspension strut / hydraulic unit.

These have Automatic Body Control (ABC) that use hydraulics in lieu of conventional springs. They not only control the ride height, but ride control as well.

Each corner is $2k for those units. If a strut unit failed and debris wasn't flushed out of the system, the pump could be damaged.

That often can be a reason some of these high end models (S Class or SL) might show up with heavily discounted prices as well.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,871 Posts
It doesn't look good...I'll take my measly V6 in a Challenger any day!

A Guy

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
My father in law has a S550 and SL500, and while they are enjoyable to drive, I couldn't imagine paying the $7500 bill he just paid to have the electronic control to the transmission replaced on the S550...and the fu ker still throws codes and wont shift into D or R at times! It's a 2007 and yes it is going back to the dealership when he has time...

I'll keep my Dodge, and it's funny, he's stated he wants my Scat Pack bad and is waiting for me to upgrade to a Hellcat ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
My father in law has a S550 and SL500, and while they are enjoyable to drive, I couldn't imagine paying the $7500 bill he just paid to have the electronic control to the transmission replaced on the S550...and the fu ker still throws codes and wont shift into D or R at times! It's a 2007 and yes it is going back to the dealership when he has time...

I'll keep my Dodge, and it's funny, he's stated he wants my Scat Pack bad and is waiting for me to upgrade to a Hellcat ;)
Initial years of the 7G-tronic (7 speed tranny); I'd wonder if there's issues with the valve body or when they put it back together?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Now that's eye opening!!!! They suddenly don't look so attractive anymore.......

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Yep, I have a buddy who drives nothing but BMW's and MB's.

Yes, you can buy a killer car, several years old, for "cheap" until you have to bring it to a shop. And you will need a GOOD shop on a regular basis

Cost to maintain these types of cars is crazy high. Makes a Dodge look like the deal of a lifetime, repair cost wise. He always says "never again", and then ends up buying another one.

Several years back, one of his "big" BMW's needed a new battery. It was trunk mounted with a special shape to fit next to the inner fender. IIRC, the cost was north of $500 back then, and no aftermarket alternatives.

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
Yep, I have a buddy who drives nothing but BMW's and MB's.

Yes, you can buy a killer car, several years old, for "cheap" until you have to bring it to a shop. And you will need a GOOD shop on a regular basis

Cost to maintain these types of cars is crazy high. Makes a Dodge look like the deal of a lifetime, repair cost wise. He always says "never again", and then ends up buying another one.

Several years back, one of his "big" BMW's needed a new battery. It was trunk mounted with a special shape to fit next to the inner fender. IIRC, the cost was north of $500 back then, and no aftermarket alternatives.
Wait and see what it will cost for a major service to repair a ZF 8 speed - BMW owners know what this is like (early units had their share of issues) when this is years down the road out of warranty.

This isn't like rebuilding a THM 350 tranny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts