Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lil stash that I want to put into my car. My buddy has a new stingray and he gets me off the line and pulls me just a bit after that. I have a 2013 core.
I know I need tires, but I have been considering a super charger or head work and a cam. I have also thought about just doing some suspension work to get it to hook. I'm ready to hear any advice!! I want a low 12 second car!! The best I ran was 13.2 on stock tires. I'm sure I can learn to drive a lil better but I have ran at the track in several vehicles and I run consistent in this car at 13.2

1,931 Posts
With a $5K budget...tuner with custom tune, ported heads, custom grind cam from Modern Muscle, drag radials.............this would get an auto into the mid/high 11s depending on track.....stick would be high 11s to low 12s....again depending on track and you can launch and shift..

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I met with ARD in houston. Looks like headwork and a cam is gonna happen.
Nice. Keep us posted. Think you can do a dyno run before and after? Please post results even if you don't dyno. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
540 Posts
For $5K you can do a DIY custom turbo setup. I personally wouldn't go that direction though. I try to take the approach of high leverage for the cost. If I had your setup and $5K I'd do in this order:
  1. Tires, wide and sticky.
  2. Tuner
  3. CAI
  4. Nitrous
  5. Cam
  6. Heads

·
Registered
50 Posts
I mean this with the greatest respect.... before dumping money into a car to get more power.... spend time learning to drive.

We all think we are good drivers but practice is key.

The only mod I have on my SRT is a cold air kit. I've been practicing and it gets quicker and quicker. I think I've got a little bit more in the car (at most 0.1) but there is more.... and the key is practice

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Driving

I mean this with the greatest respect.... before dumping money into a car to get more power.... spend time learning to drive.

We all think we are good drivers but practice is key.

The only mod I have on my SRT is a cold air kit. I've been practicing and it gets quicker and quicker. I think I've got a little bit more in the car (at most 0.1) but there is more.... and the key is practice
I hear ya, I know I can drive the car faster/ tires will help tremendously. But John force isn't gonna get in my car and smoke the new stingray. The heads and cam should open her up a bit . Plus I love the sound of a canned car. I wouldn't consider it dumping money- the car is my hobby.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Not sure if exhaust headers would be needed to help move air created by reworked heads. Something else that may need consideration.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Practicing isn't going to spend the $5K for you. Better use it on the car before the wife/gf/whatever gets any strange ideas.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
For 5k here is my 2 cents:

headers
cats
exhaust
cam
tune

with a stock 6.4 i think those things combined should bring ya ~500 to the wheels no? if not a tad more...

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
For 5k here is my 2 cents:

headers
cats
exhaust
cam
tune

with a stock 6.4 i think those things combined should bring ya ~500 to the wheels no? if not a tad more...
With those headers you mention above being long tubes, then yes, I would agree 5 to the wheels would be more than a fair guesstimate.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
With those headers you mention above being long tubes, then yes, I would agree 5 to the wheels would be more than a fair guesstimate.

Absolutely long tubes ;) I wouldn't waste shorty headers on any build. Throwing money away on those IMO

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
spend some on the driver mod. go to the track a few more times to get used to the car and cut your time down

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I put a mild cam on my 392 with headers. I got about 50whp or so from stock.

Get the 274 comp cam, headers and ported heads and you will be so close to 500whp. Whole new beast. Plus you will gaine it on the top end(perfect for drag strip). If you have any extra $$$ HIGHLY recommend you get 17in cobra R wheels and throw some hoosier 28x10s on them. Then smoke the vette:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts