Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 392 Owner here. Just looking thru owners manual. I see it calls for 5W40 oil. I've always used Mobil1 5W30 in my C5 Vette. Guess Big Hemi is different. Weird thing is Mobil1...& Castrol Syntec doesn't even manufacture a 5W40. I like to do fluid changes myself. What do you guys use??

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I use Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic. I'll alternate between Mobil 1 an K&N filters. I'll do royale purple if it is on sale.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic. I'll alternate between Mobil 1 an K&N filters. I'll do royale purple if it is on sale.
Thanks for that.
Yes, Mobil1 makes great filters. What size for the 392?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mobil actually produces 2 different 5W-40 oils. One is more geared toward diesels. The other, with an ESP designation, is supposedly for many European manufactured vehicles. The latter is the 5W-40 to be used in the Hemi. In addition, Castrol's website lists a 5W-40 Syntec oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_ESP_Formula_M_5W-40.aspx

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=6006933

Finding either at your local auto parts "quickie mart" (AutoZone, etc.) will most likely be problematic at best.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mobil actually produces 2 different 5W-40 oils. One is more geared toward diesels. The other, with an ESP designation, is supposedly for many European manufactured vehicles. The latter is the 5W-40 to be used in the Hemi. In addition, Castrol's website lists a 5W-40 Syntec oil.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40

Castrol USA - Grades

Finding either at your local auto parts "quickie mart" (AutoZone, etc.) will most likely be problematic at best.
I THINK MY HEAD IS GONNA EXPLODE!:notallthere:
Never had such probs with my Chevy's.
Now I'm dealing with 5w40 oil....that's NOT 5w40 for gas engines...only for diesels....unless it says 0w40.
And then there's the search for the correct size filter...which from what I've seen...doesn't exist!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I THINK MY HEAD IS GONNA EXPLODE!:notallthere:
Never had such probs with my Chevy's.
Now I'm dealing with 5w40 oil....that's NOT 5w40 for gas engines...only for diesels....unless it says 0w40.
And then there's the search for the correct size filter...which from what I've seen...doesn't exist!
your local service dept should have an oil filter number for you. If it is the same as for the 6.1L Hemi, then that means you can use any filter that fits the 6.1L. If not, then just use mopar filters from the parts counter at Dodge until the filter companies get on board...chill Dude. And just put Mobil 1 0W-40 in it, no biggie...problem solved!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Anybody using Amsoil?

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
It's honestly not that big of a deal.

I talked to the SRT Engineers about oil viscocity last year in one of their chat sessions.

They told me I could run 5W20, 10W30, or even 15W50 while at the track in my R/T 6 speed. That was with the stock motor.

There's a readily available 10W40 Mobil 1. It says "high mileage" on it, but I called M1 and asked about that and they said it made no "real" difference and was just marketing.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It's honestly not that big of a deal.

I talked to the SRT Engineers about oil viscocity last year in one of their chat sessions.

They told me I could run 5W20, 10W30, or even 15W50 while at the track in my R/T 6 speed. That was with the stock motor.

There's a readily available 10W40 Mobil 1. It says "high mileage" on it, but I called M1 and asked about that and they said it made no "real" difference and was just marketing.
Interesting Speedy.
Since we are on an SRT specific thread however, I wonder if it does matter more on the higher demands,(if true), of the 6.1L engine...hence the demand for 0-40 and now 5-40 synthetics,(which is only due to the oil manufacturer sponsor change/weight availability).

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Interesting Speedy.
Since we are on an SRT specific thread however, I wonder if it does matter more on the higher demands,(if true), of the 6.1L engine...hence the demand for 0-40 and now 5-40 synthetics,(which is only due to the oil manufacturer sponsor change/weight availability).
No it doesn't matter. If it did, they couldn't go to a 5W40 just willy nilly because a contract wasn't renewed.

In the SRT's case it has a gas guzzler tax (or did), so they can specify a heavier oil (0W40). The new SRT Auto has MDS so that makes me wonder about the 40W designation if that is infact what is called for in 2011 models. They may have made the ports a bit larger so 40W works fine with the MDS system.

Bottom line, 40W oils are a European thing for the most part. That's because they have different fuel mileage requirements. As an example, my Honda Accord owner's manual says 5W20. If you look at the exact same vehicle owner's manual for Europe it says 10W40. Interesting since it's the exact same car and motor.

I'd use 10W40 in the SRT no problem. There's likely nothing wrong with 0W40 or 5W40 either, but for me personally that's a bit of a stretch viscosity wise, but I have no real data to say it's too much of a stretch.

If you want to see how those wide viscosity range oils hold up to sheer, you can find loads of oil analysis reports on various oils and types at www.bobistheoilguy.com. I read till I nearly went blind over there last year.

Based on all the data I saw, Royal Purple is over priced for what it is. Amsoil is the best, but also pricey for 6 month oil change intervals. Penzoil Platinum is one of the favorites with Mobil1 a close second.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts