Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find some wide (wider than stock) 18" black 5 spoke rims. You'd think that there would be a ton of selection out there ... turns out not so much.

Pretty much the only black 5 spoke option in 18" with a 5x115 bolt pattern are the boss 338's. Not a terrible option, but I really like these Zinik Z32 Black w/Mach Lip and the American Racing Torque thrust M's. Both the Zinik's and American racing's are 5X114 bolt pattern. I found some threads on LX forums where guys have said that 5X114.3 work on our cars - but can't find anything on 5X114. I'm guessing that being a mm off put's things just too far out of whack to line up / tighten the studs correctly but I'm wondering if anyone has a definitive answer.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I'm trying to find some wide (wider than stock) 18" black 5 spoke rims. You'd think that there would be a ton of selection out there ... turns out not so much.

Pretty much the only black 5 spoke option in 18" with a 5x115 bolt pattern are the boss 338's. Not a terrible option, but I really like these Zinik Z32 Black w/Mach Lip and the American Racing Torque thrust M's. Both the Zinik's and American racing's are 5X114 bolt pattern. I found some threads on LX forums where guys have said that 5X114.3 work on our cars - but can't find anything on 5X114. I'm guessing that being a mm off put's things just too far out of whack to line up / tighten the studs correctly but I'm wondering if anyone has a definitive answer.
Even with the 114.3 mm wheels you need to run hubcentric rings to center the wheel, so with a 114 mm wheel it is doubtful you'd be able to properly even bolt on/torque the wheels. Some guys are able to run a 114.3 mm wheel with no apparent problems, but not everyone, including me, as I am currently running the 114.3 mm wheels and having all kinds of balance issues about 70 mph. Went so far as to buy a new set of tires and still have issues. My advice is to NOT run the 114 mm wheels.

·
Banned
675 Posts
5x4.5 will fit on our lugs, but I've read a lot about members having vibrating issues, because the lugs aren't evenly center balanced on a 5x4.5

Just what I heard though, I have no actual experience.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback guys. Reading your personal experience bacdocmiller, I think it's gonna be 18" boss 338's in black or 20's for me. I hope you get your vibration issues worked out!

I'm just hesitant to go to the 20's as I have the 3.73 rear end that came as part of getting 18's. Not sure how much of a difference going to 20's would make, but there's gotta be some difference or dodge wouldn't have put the 3.92 rear end in the cars that came with 20's.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Here is what I got for my RT, they fit fine with the hopnot kit and are plenty wide enough for the 275/45/18 MH drag radials, I probably could have went with a wider tire. I just wanted a cheap black rim the would look good with the spare rims (already had one as a spare). I got 2 rear rims for 300 and one spare front for 100. For just less than 1300 shipped I have drag radials, front runners, and 3 rims. Some people pay more than that just for 4 rims!!

NASCAR 614
18x8.5
5x115MM
12MM offset

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I run knock off Cobra R wheels at the track with my M&H DRs.

They're 114.3 bolt pattern. I had them balanced at Discount tire.

I had no vibration problems at 120MPH at the track Saturday.

I wouldn't use them for everyday driving though. I did use hub centric rings to make sure the lugs were centered.

·
Banned
557 Posts
thanks for the feedback guys. Reading your personal experience bacdocmiller, I think it's gonna be 18" boss 338's in black or 20's for me. I hope you get your vibration issues worked out!

I'm just hesitant to go to the 20's as I have the 3.73 rear end that came as part of getting 18's. Not sure how much of a difference going to 20's would make, but there's gotta be some difference or dodge wouldn't have put the 3.92 rear end in the cars that came with 20's.
There is very little difference between the 18" and 20" wheels, assuming tire sizes are adjusted so overall diameter is the same and wheels weigh as close to each other as possible. Sadly, most after market wheels weigh more than stockers.

Anyhow, I asked this awhile back and found some good info thanks to a link that Speedy posted. Here is a link:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/3-73-vs-3-92-gears-49955/

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the link nolimits! Not to be a total noob but - what the heck are hub-centric rings?

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Wheel Hub Centric Rings are designed to fill in the gap between the hub of the car and the center bore of the wheel. Most wheel manufacturers design their wheels with a centerbore large enough to fit on most cars. Therefore, since wheel manufactures make their center bore large enough to fit most cars, most wheel fitments have a gap between the hub and the centerbore. This gap usually doesn't allow for the wheel to fit hubcentric but rather lugcentric which causes vibration. Therefore, to fill the gap and ensure the fitment is hubcentric, hub rings are used.

That's why when you bolt your rims on, you do it in a cris-cross pattern so your rim will be bolted on properly, if you don't have hub centric rings.

·
Registered
18 Posts

You should look at the Weld RT-S wheels. Black 5 spoke, with the correct bolt pattern and offsets to clear stock brakes and go as wide as 10 inch on the rear. FYI.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should look at the Weld RT-S wheels. Black 5 spoke, with the correct bolt pattern and offsets to clear stock brakes and go as wide as 10 inch on the rear. FYI.
thanks - looked good until I saw $600 per wheel!!

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Check out Jim's racing tires. Weld RT-S wheels 483.00 + lugs and valve stems and free shipping. Or you can go cheap with the cobra R's and become an accident just waiting to happen. But just think you saved some money on wheels that you put on your $40,000 car. And then theres the chance that you may injure someone in the other lane when your lugs break and your wheel or car enters the lane next to you. The 115 mm wheels are high because their made in the USA and we haven't created demand because we'll settle and buy cheap chinese wheels. Sorry guys but these are just my thoughts. Run what you want but don't pull up beside me with unsafe vehicle. I'll just back out and run someone else. I've seen wheels and axles come into lanes and cars going end over end with no drive shaft loop. Oh, I have been battling with wheel MFG's to lower their price. They say we don't create a demand.
Iron6

thanks - looked good until I saw $600 per wheel!!

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Well, lots of 9 sec LX cars run Cobra Rs as well as several 10 second cars on this site.

I'm not worried, but if you wanna buy me some $900 wheels I'll PM you my address LOL! My Cobra Rs were $105 including lugs and stems. I'm not sure how it would break the lugs. The hub centric rings center the wheel on the hub and once 110ftlbs is on them they ain't budging.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First of all, I guess I should have been clear - I'm looking for street wheels not track wheels.

Iron6, I get you're trying to make a living and keep things made in your own backyard and I'm all for that. However, I'm talking what I think are reputable brands like American Racing, etc which are in the low 200's or even high 100's per wheel. I love my $40,000 car but I don't have $2500 to put into wheels only.

I really don't have any technical knowledge of how well different rims handle stress but I'm with Speedy on the fact that lots of guys are definitely running the Cobra R's at the track. Maybe with something like rubbel's 1000hp+ monster I can see rim strength coming in to play, but even though our cars are powerful I'm pretty confident any rim out there is going to hold up. I'm not quite following the lugs thing either - wouldn't that have to do with the studs?

Bottom line is I don't begrudge you for making a good product (I'm sure it is) domestically but I personally can't afford the price difference is all.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ If you're looking for street wheels get the proper bolt pattern. There are lots of reasonably priced examples to choose from.

The only reason I went with the Cobra Rs for my track wheels is because:

A) The proper bolt pattern wheels are only made by two places and they're $500 each.

B) I'll probably only use them 6-8 times a year.

If either A or B were different I'd have gone another route.

For every day driving wheels get the right ones.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^^^^^^^ If you're looking for street wheels get the proper bolt pattern. There are lots of reasonably priced examples to choose from.

The only reason I went with the Cobra Rs for my track wheels is because:

A) The proper bolt pattern wheels are only made by two places and they're $500 each.

B) I'll probably only use them 6-8 times a year.

If either A or B were different I'd have gone another route.

For every day driving wheels get the right ones.
yup, for sure going to. It just sucks that there's really only one choice in 18" black 5 spoke with the right bolt pattern (Boss 338's ). I like the style of the 338's but I was really wanting something with a black lip instead of the chrome. Ah well, looks like beggars can't be choosers in this case :(

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I run knock off Cobra R wheels at the track with my M&H DRs.

They're 114.3 bolt pattern. I had them balanced at Discount tire.

I had no vibration problems at 120MPH at the track Saturday.

I wouldn't use them for everyday driving though. I did use hub centric rings to make sure the lugs were centered.
Speedy did Discount tire actually mount your wheels up for you or just put the tires on the wheels? They told me they wouldn't mount the tires to the car because of the different pattern.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Speedy did Discount tire actually mount your wheels up for you or just put the tires on the wheels? They told me they wouldn't mount the tires to the car because of the different pattern.
They did a mount and test fit, but I drove home with my Boss 338s.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts