Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please anything will help . I have a 09 challenger SRT8 , 126k on it . I did buy it used but did all the back ground on it and was a clean car . I am having what feels like a misfire or rough running but only on acceleration. It is an automatic and runs very strong . I have gone thru and installed OEM plugs , all were in good shape when I pulled them , and there are no codes coming up at all . I have a Blue Driver reader , pulls up recalls even , but there are no codes . I have been leaning towards a Cat issue because when I get into the pedal I get the smell along with the rough running. Is there a firmware update to fix or is it probably the Cat issue ? The car has only had 8k in miles since I got it a yearn half ago . in the garage more than anything because at my age I plan to keep . The car is all Stock which is what I wanted no Mods at all ……. And it idles fine no roughness just nice

I probably posted this in the wrong place but was following up on a search issue and it brought me here

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,702 Posts
Please anything will help . I have a 09 challenger SRT8 , 126k on it . I did buy it used but did all the back ground on it and was a clean car . I am having what feels like a misfire or rough running but only on acceleration. It is an automatic and runs very strong . I have gone thru and installed OEM plugs , all were in good shape when I pulled them , and there are no codes coming up at all . I have a Blue Driver reader , pulls up recalls even , but there are no codes . I have been leaning towards a Cat issue because when I get into the pedal I get the smell along with the rough running. Is there a firmware update to fix or is it probably the Cat issue ? The car has only had 8k in miles since I got it a yearn half ago . in the garage more than anything because at my age I plan to keep . The car is all Stock which is what I wanted no Mods at all ……. And it idles fine no roughness just nice

I probably posted this in the wrong place but was following up on a search issue and it brought me here
No CEL?

Hard to say what's going on.

I can recall one time with another car the engine manifesting what can be described as a "misfire, more like a mild hesitation at part throttle but since I was on the freeway and at this particular part throttle position just happened to be where I wanted the throttle to be to maintain speed I was forced to deal with it. Long story short the problem turns out to have been a loose coil wire on a plug. (Approx. 1000 miles previously I had the car in for among other things new plugs and I guess the tech left one coil wire loose.)

The spark from the loose coil wire connector had eroded the plug tip enough the wire no longer snapped into place. I bought a set of pliers and squeezed the the connector a bit and afterwards it snapped on to the plug connector. As soon as I could I bought a spare set of plug wires but never installed them.

You sure all the plugs and their respective coils are securely connected and the coils are all plugged into the engine wiring harness securely?

Have to wonder about gasoline freshness. My limited experience was with a car after 6 months of very limited use and with the same gasoline in the gas tank while the engine started up and idled ok and ran ok -- at least it did not manifest any real signs of trouble -- the engine felt quite flat and I thought this was normal being unfamiliar with the car. But after I had need to fill up the gas tank afterwards the engine was quite peppy. It was then clear that in fact the gasoline had gone stale.

I do not know any way of resurrecting stale gasoline. If as in the case of my experience the gasoline isn't too bad that the engine is not manifesting signs of distress just driving the car enough to use up the stale gasoine and to make sufficient room to add fresh gasoline can work a minor miracle. If the gasoline is too stale to the point it causes the engine to well misfire, stumble, it might be prudent to remove enough of the gasoline to make room for enough fresh gasoline. Afterwards I would not let this sit around but drive the car and use up a considerable amount of gasoline to require the tank be filled. Then you have to make it a habit to use the car enough to get the engine up to full working temperature, keep it there a while and to use up the gasoline at some rate that has it used up before it goes too stale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2009 challenger srt8 and was wondering if anyone might have had the same problem I am having my car has been having a cly #5 misfire so I swapped #3 to #5 and still have the same problem put a set of new spark plugs and same problem check engine Compression and its good all across and its always #5 and only that one maybe a bad fuel injection but was wondering if anyone has had the same problem thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts

My first gut reaction is a coil pack breaking down under a load. Cheap and easy to fix....but which one? Put on a set of coil Packs? Or pay the dealer or shop to diagnose?

Make sure a squirrel or rat hasn't chewed any of the wires around the fuel injectors or coil wire harnesses.

With it sitting a lot......you could have bad gas. Add a good fuel treatment (Gumout Regane, Sea Foam, Techron) and top her off with high quality premium fresh gas and take a good highway run for a few hours. Make sure you are in "sport mode" so all the cylinders are firing. (not sure if this applies to your year)

Good luck and keep us posted.....Gene.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most likely it will be a broken piston or two depends. Just pull out the spark plugs and check for bent ones. I Just had the same issue it's pretty common

P.s. start from driver side of the engine it's probably the first one or two.

Gud luck :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for the info well do that and see
I was addressing the OP of this post. But yours...let's hope it's not a broken piston as Big Mo just stated.

My question for you is....you stated that you swapped #3 to #5. You swapped what??

Did you notice and problems with old plugs? If the top of the piston land beaks off the piece will normally hit the plug electrode and close the gap.

Plugs look good? Then possible valve, fuel injector or piston damage. Good luck and please keep us posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts