Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 6.1 with the standard procharger kit and tune @6lbs. I also have an aftermarket exhaust on the car. I plan on doing some mods soon but I am not sure where to start. I eventually would like to stroke/forge the internals. I am trying to build the car in stages though since I cannot do all at once. Here is my question would it be better to forge the internals and use the stock top end or start at the top end and work towards the internals. I hate to forge the engine if I would not be able to get power to them due to flow restrictions on stock heads/cam? I would like some opinions where the best/cheapest HP gains are with my current set up?

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I have the 6.1 with the standard procharger kit and tune @6lbs. I also have an aftermarket exhaust on the car. I plan on doing some mods soon but I am not sure where to start. I eventually would like to stroke/forge the internals. I am trying to build the car in stages though since I cannot do all at once. Here is my question would it be better to forge the internals and use the stock top end or start at the top end and work towards the internals. I hate to forge the engine if I would not be able to get power to them due to flow restrictions on stock heads/cam? I would like some opinions where the best/cheapest HP gains are with my current set up?
Get some headers. That will open you up some too for not that much. When you do forge do the rods and pistons at the same time. Then after that mess with the heads and cam.

·
Registered
326 Posts
hello sickboy my 2 cents is this if your going to be running 12lbs of boost or less(which will be more than enough for 99 percent of people)..... then you have the best starting point. The flow numbers on the 6.1 heads ar excellent and more than enough for what you will want i suggest leaving them alone. Stock headers are also great ...... i am running 9lbs of boost on my stock headers with the same unit you have and i have not had any issues and making great hp. IMO aftermarket headers cause to much heat ouside the engine, inside the engine cabin and may contribute to premature catalytic convertor failure( no definite evidence of this but this topic has been brought up more than once on this site. Keep your motor and get the drop in forged pistons from modern muscle ....i have them and i have not had any issues yet.............Better yet check with them and see if they have the drop in piston/rods sets. for added insurance i would have bought this if they had them back when i was upgrading. Finally while you have the engine open get you a custom blower cam of your liking to compliment everything else. I purchased mine from inertia. Most builders will do the cam for you at no additional labor costs when they are doing the drop in pistons. Mine did. So do them at the same time. Finally find you a reputable tuner to tune your motor. Dont cut corners here you get what you pay for. Johan over at diablo tuned mine and he is the best IMO. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
stock rods are good for 600hp.. i would only do rods if you are looking for a 800 plus hp motor. Drop in pistons are a good choice i think they are about 700ish for pistons..
headers are up in the air.. lots of money.. more heat than shorties.. they do breath better lots of work to put in. and if you are gonna go long tubes. i would most defiantly do catless mids for sure. unless you live in one of those states that have sniffer laws every yr.

but that is just me. that is my plan sometime.. upgrade with some arp bolts on the rods new pistons and call it a day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. This is the kind of things I was looking for. Since I am supercharged I know that the hidden HP's will be in different places. So I wasn't sure which ones would give me the best gains to start with? What CR does the drop in pistons give you? I did not think it was much lower than stock. Would this be the time to bring CR low to 8.5 or 9? One other thing if the stock heads flow well enough for 12lbs at what point does the 80mm throttle body start restricting air flow?

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
With the drop in comp will be about 10.0-1 and that is fine for the boost level you are at.
Give us a call and we can go over your build with you to make sure you have everything covered.

·
Registered
368 Posts
.02 here since I just went through upgrading the motor after popping two pistons.

If you go drop-in pistons (highly recommended), you might as well do a custom cam (biggest bang for the buck) at the same time. Otherwise, if you aren't doing the work yourself, you will be paying a lot in just labor for them to dig into it twice.

However, if you are looking to push the limits of what you can get out of the motor, then porting the intake and heads + adding LT headers, bigger injectors, upgrading the fuel system is in your future. But, it all depends on what your goals are and if it's a daily driver etc...

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm making 642hp to the tires, so that's well over 700hp at the flywheel on a stock bottom end. But it's a gambling thing. At this level of power once I have a fuel issue you can pretty much bet either a ring or pistion will go bye byes. But iv had this setup for like two years now and I sure don't run it easy. Haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts