Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2015 Challenger Scat Pack with DS1 Pro Charger running 6 lbs of boost. I removed the 6.4 intake and replaced with a 6.1 intake. I removed the PCV valve and added a fitting.

I drove the car a few miles and checked my catch can. The catch can was over half way full. So I removed the throttle body and looked in the intake and it was full of oil. If someone has this set up could you steer me in the right direction?

Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive design Automotive super charger part
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
You said you removed the pcv valve and added a fitting, so to be clear is there a pcv valve on the car? Also, is the pcv valve stuck open?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2015 Challenger Scat Pack with DS1 Pro Charger running 6 lbs of boost. I removed the 6.4 intake and replaced with a 6.1 intake. I removed the PCV valve and added a fitting.

I drove the car a few miles and checked my catch can. The catch can was over half way full. So I removed the throttle body and looked in the intake and it was full of oil. If someone has this set up could you steer me in the right direction?

View attachment 1018352 View attachment 1018353
You said you removed the pcv valve and added a fitting, so to be clear is there a pcv valve on the car? Also, is the pcv valve stuck open?
I removed the PCV valve completely.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
the PCV valve is present to meter air flow through the crankcase - under WOT / low vacuum conditions the valve closes as the spring holds valve closed and manifold vacuum makes the valve open in proportion to vacuum levels.

you want PCV ventilation as this gets blowby gasses, condensation out of the crankcase which helps prevent sludge build up.

your setup - its pulling full manifold vacuum all the time through the lines and any blow-by you have (exacerbated by forced induction) results in what you're seeing.

under boost / WOT the valve would close if it was installed

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
440 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
As Hal stated, you need the pcv valve. Without it you basically have a oil line running from the pcv back to the manifold since it will never close.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the PCV valve is present to meter air flow through the crankcase - under WOT / low vacuum conditions the valve closes as the spring holds valve closed and manifold vacuum makes the valve open in proportion to vacuum levels.

you want PCV ventilation as this gets blowby gasses, condensation out of the crankcase which helps prevent sludge build up.

your setup - its pulling full manifold vacuum all the time through the lines and any blow-by you have (exacerbated by forced induction) results in what you're seeing.

under boost / WOT the valve would close if it was installed
I appreciate your input. One question I have is if I plug the top side of the intake by the throttle body and add a filter breather to the catch can from the PCV line would that work and still not run a PCV valve? If not I will add the PCV valve back in the system. Thanks again

·
Registered
224 Posts
The PCV system requires the vacuum to function correctly. Not sure if you can just run an inline valve similar to LS1 engines.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The PCV system requires the vacuum to function correctly. Not sure if you can just run an inline valve similar to LS1 engines.
Thanks. I put the PCV back in and machined a an 90 fitting to mate with it. I will know today if I’m back up and running properly.

Is that because the 6.4 has an SRV dual-runner intake?
Yes the 6.1 only has long runners and is better for boosted applications.

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
Here's an interesting fact about the SRV intake on the 6.4 engine. Initially, Dodge was pretty confident that it could get 500 hp. from it, but the prototype was strong up high, but as you accelerated, it didn't feel as strong as the numbers said it should be. So the engineers took a look at the SRV dual-runner intake that's was being used in Dodge trucks. This intake allowed for the short runner to be used for power and the long runner for torque. So they made up some manifolds and ran them in a car and it felt a lot better. Not as much horsepower, but the area under the torque curve was far bigger. Mission accomplished.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well with the pcv back in no more oil in the intake or full catch can. Thanks again for the help guys greatly appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts