Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really thinking about putting a 6.1 intake on my 5.7, but I've heard that you lose some low end torque with it. My question is how much? If it just moves further up into the RPM range, how much further up? If I'm gonna lose power, I'd rather not do it.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
It will raise the power band - so if you have an automatic with low numerical gears, probably not a good idea. If you have a 6 speed with 3.92 gears and don't mind the slight low-end loss (which would really only affect you at highway cruise) then it may be worthwhile - considering it's basically a $1000 swap. I'd do long tubes and a tune before doing an intake, but that's just me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will raise the power band - so if you have an automatic with low numerical gears, probably not a good idea. If you have a 6 speed with 3.92 gears and don't mind the slight low-end loss (which would really only affect you at highway cruise) then it may be worthwhile - considering it's basically a $1000 swap. I'd do long tubes and a tune before doing an intake, but that's just me.

It's a 6-speed, and even though I don't have long tubes, I have catless mid pipes, a K&N CAI, Dynomax Race Bullets with reso delete, 180 degree thermostat, and an 87mm throttle body, along with a Hemifever tune. So except for the long tubes, I guess we agree, Lol!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm really thinking about putting a 6.1 intake on my 5.7, but I've heard that you lose some low end torque with it. My question is how much? If it just moves further up into the RPM range, how much further up? If I'm gonna lose power, I'd rather not do it.
Fixed

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
The 6.1 SRT's cast aluminum intake manifold has shorter, larger-diameter and tapered runners for high-speed tuning. The internal runners are core-dipped to smooth the runner finish and improve air flow. It is designed for top end power. Great for auto crossing but not ideal for the street, if more low end power is desired.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe a Edelbrock would work for you, It should have more low end then the 6.1.
The Edelbrock won't work. checked into it first. The 6.1 would be better on the 5.7 with the few mods that I have.........maybe.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Why not put a 6.4l intake? People on here that have done it like it. I guess you need a "window switch" or whatever to make it work.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I bit the bullet and placed a bid on a new 6.1 manifold on eBay. I’m gonna need rails, a map sensor, and injectors for it now. Debating on weather or not I want to paint it the same color as the car.
Question: what size are the stock injectors on the 5.7?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well, I bit the bullet and placed a bid on a new 6.1 manifold on eBay. I’m gonna need rails, a map sensor, and injectors for it now. Debating on whether or not I want to paint it the same color as the car.
Question: what size are the stock injectors on the 5.7?
"Whether" not "weather"

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, I bit the bullet on a 6.1 intake, that I plan to use on my 5.7 eagle headed engine. I've to a Comp 270, 4.29 gears, CAI, SRT8 Shorties, Corsa Exhaust and Custom tune. I'm also running N20 at the track. I want to set mine up with a plate system, and run an 87MM Tb on it. I'm hoping this will net me a few tenths at the track. I need to figure out what injectors I'm going with, and pick up some new rails and such. Out of curiosity does anyone know if the 6.1 intakes use manifold gaskets, or are they o-ringed like the 5.7's.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm sorry I can't be more help, however, I'd love if you keep us posted on this. I, for one, am looking into this and learning about what is needed and to see if its worth it!

Bumping to the top!!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's ok. You're not the only person watching this thread though. Someone has to know. I'll find out one way or another.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts