Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can a 6.1 match a 302 in performance?

Hello, I have been lurking around the forum for a few months. I am a one of those Euro punk track junkies ;) who drives an Z4 M Coupe at the moment but grew up in a family of 5 siblings that all drove muscle cars. I made the mistake of Driving a '10 SRT8 and nostalgia must have taken over because I fell in love with the beast and all it's swagger and can't quit thinking how much better life would be if I had one in my garage haha.

I have been holding out for the 2011 SRT8 to see what develops but now that I can get such a smoking deal on a 2010 (9k off a loaded SRT8 locally) I am wondering if it is worth dropping the extra coins on the 2011 if I can match it's performance with a 2010.

I have about zero experience with Mopar world so my question to you seasoned Challenger folk is what kind of investment will it take to at least match the 2011 in power and handling. I would be happy with a 4.5 second 0-60 and would like to exceed the handling performance of the 2011. I can get over the weight issue if I can get this car to handle with confidence as I will no doubt throw it around the race track occasionally.

Thanks and enjoy your cars.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm new to Challengers but own a 2007 Charger SRT8... so my advice is slightly skewed.

I've driven BMW's and they are great machines... their overall balance is unmatched, so great choice on your current car!

These cars handle VERY well for 4200+ pound machines. Many folks track their SRT8's. Some have done suspension work, sway bars and strut braces being the primary mods. These simply button-down an already good setup.

The SRT8 will likely never have the balance and road feel of a BMW, but then again, these cars do have poweful, naturally aspirated engines with lots of torque.

As for making a 6.1 into a 6.4 beater... you're gonna need to add about 75 HP and 75 TQ, plus a nice even curve to go along with it. To get that... heads, cam... probably something else to boot. Prices for that? Hard to say as I've never gone that route.

However, the 2011/2012 models have/will have upgraded suspensions, revised steering ratio and placement, settings and setups... camber, dampening, etc. So, compared to a 2010, you're looking at more significant suspension work to equal that of a 2011+.

You could do it all for under $9K I'd think no problem... but then there are warranty conflicts with all the mods... tough call for sure.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you have the coin I would pick the 2011 over the 2010, as there is a considerable power advantage as well as a few other refinements. As far as the 2011 SRT over the 5.0, I would say no contest, the best times I have seen for the 5.0 is 12.9, which incidentally is the slowest times I've seen for the 392. But if you choose the '10 I would say it's a driver's race. You choose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no illusions of turning a 4200 lb Challenger into something that will drive like a 3200 lb Z4 M Coupe. It's not a replacement. I would head to the Boss 302 if I was serious about tracking a muscle car. I don't really care if Joe Mustang is faster than me on the street either but I would like a little more yeehaa factor out of the Challenger. I was a little underwhelmed by the SRT8's power honestly. As I was driving it I was thinking the car makes you feel like a hero, it looks like rock and roll personified and sounds amazing but a car that looks this bad-ass should shoot lava out of the exhaust and shift the earth of it's axis when you drop the pedal. If I could match a 6.4 with around 5k in mods I would be sold on the 6.1. Perhaps I will wait for 6.4s to start showing up on the used car market and pick one up. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i was considering dropping my IE a few weeks ago for a 2010 DY loaded for $9,300 off

yea your saving $9,300, but if you plan on reselling some day it will always be worth less too because of the 6.1 and the fact its 1 year older....plus you wont pay sticker either on a 2011, so its not really 9,300 less....you may get $1,000-$2,000 off on a 2011 (saw one on ebay for $43k today)

so lets say you sell it in 6 years...maybe you'll get $18k for your 2010, but you'd get $22k for your 2011....anyone who wants this car in 6 years will always pay a premium for a 392

everything mechanically is changed on the 2011...thats worth a few grand too...

i decided to keep my IE since i wanted the best...if top performance didnt matter to you then id say yea go for it on the 2010...but since your already wanting to upgrade your 2010 before you bought it i can tell you'd never be happy with anything other than a 392

·
Registered
389 Posts
A lot of the supercharger crowd on the forum have gotten some very impressive and significant power gains off the pre-2011 SRT8 Challengers. Many have good "daily driver" set ups with their SCs as well. Depending on what you want to spend and how much modding you're willing to do, that's always an option.

I've got a 2010 SRT8, but I don't go to the track. Got some great open roads I drive every day - and its a daily driver, so I went with some of the more common mods - cat back exhaust, CAI, Predator, strut tower brace, etc. I'm happy with the subsequent performance over stock. When I get on it, the car moves out like I'd expect a muscle car to do - and handles the twisty back roads I drive a lot with plenty of confidence. You can do that kind of modding for well under $5K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"since your already wanting to upgrade your 2010 before you bought it i can tell you'd never be happy with anything other than a 392."

Yeah, you are probably right on target with that. There is a saying amongst the Porschephiles that if you want performance you buy the newest Porsche you can afford. That being said though I think there is a point in life where you realize that there is always a faster car and it's more important to find a car that you thoroughly enjoy driving every time you get behind the wheel. I have owned and driven a lot of cars and some cars while "fast" are just boring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had to make that same decision and choose to go with the nice discount. I can't say I always side on cost savings but it was just hard to pass up. There will always be a car/someone faster so I'll just enjoy the extra coin in my pocket. I was kind of glad too because additional coin really went to more fuel (had a 2007 G37s) and oddly enough higher insurance for this one. So there goes that coin... :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sid-X;754718 I think there is a point in life where you realize that there is always a faster car and it's more important to find a car that you thoroughly enjoy driving every time you get behind the wheel. [/QUOTE said:
Absolutely - that is so true! The enjoyment factor is what its really all about.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
there's always a faster car, but dont you want to say to yourself for a while 'i have the fastest Challenger and its faster than an SS/5.0 atleast for now'...there's mental value in that...thats why i chose a 392 instead of $9,000 off

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just did the same, waited for 2011 and could not find one, for 10K less I picked up a 2010, now I looking to add a few things to bring up the horse power to compare to the 2011, and i will still save money

1 - 11 of 11 Posts