Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a (used) 6.1 TCM for my 5.7 Challenger R/T.

MTCM is the P5155177 part number.

Here’s what I’m hoping to do:
Install the TCM
Install Precision Industries 2800 stall converter
Later on, do 392 cam swap with dyno tune

What is the proper process in doing this? I’ve read as much as I can about it, and now I’m just more confused. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
8,909 Posts
I installed that TCM in my old 2010 R/T, at the time I was running a 3,200 rpm FTI converter and felt it was a very worth while mod. It gave me good precise shifts at 6,200 rpms and worked well with the converter. From the guys that I know that have installed the 2,800 rpm converters they haven't had much (if any) in the way of drive ability issues. However, with the 3,200 converter there was a good bit of slipping and by adding the TCM I got good lock up in all gears except first and as I said previously good quick shifts right at 6,200 rpms.

I did a write up on this mod a number of years ago, but on another forum, I've copy and pasted most of that write up here.

The install is relatively simple and by taking my time I think I did it in about 45 minutes. The second time I did it I’m sure I was faster but didn’t really track my time as I was trying to get some pictures. There are people that claim they can do it in 15 minutes, but hey I probably can’t even assemble the necessary tools and appropriate beverage in 15 minutes LOL. Speaking of tools about all you need to do this job is a torx screwdriver T25, a 10 mm socket, a few trim pry tools and a Philips screwdriver.

The first thing you need to do before starting the swap, if you have any kind of non-stock tune in the car is to reload your stock tune. Failure to do so leads to bad things happening, or so I’ve been informed. They can be corrected but will no doubt cost you time and money, so step one put your car back to the stock tune.

Next pull the negative battery cable (it’s in your trunk); I don’t know that this is absolutely necessary and I almost didn’t bother but hey the instructions call for it so I went ahead and did it.

You will then have to remove the trim panels along the left hand side of the car’s interior, followed by the steering column cover. There is a screw on the underside of the cover, so don’t forget to remove that.

That brings you to a metal plate held by four 10mm bolts that can be quickly removed. Now you have fairly good access to the TCM. Now unscrew the torx head screws pull the TCM out, and switch the plugs from the stock unit to the MTCM and reassemble everything.

Now the fun part and peoples opinion seem to vary greatly as to its necessity. The instructions come with a long TCM adaptation procedure. I have been told by several people that race that they just put the MTCM in their car and went to the race track. I have been told by someone that sells these things that the only necessary thing one has to do is make sure they program 3.06 gear ratio in with their programmer. Many talk of bricking the MTCM if all procedures aren’t performed exactly correctly and that it won’t work right if you mess anything up. This all seems to create a certain sense of paranoia about this swap that seems quite contradictory to the experiences of several people I know that just set the gear ratio to 3.06 with their predator and then went racing; they apparently didn’t brick their TCMs.

In any event I attempted to perform the adaptation procedure which requires getting the transmission up to normal temperature that must be greater than 140 degrees F but less than 158 degrees F.

Once you are at the right temp you are to drive the car and perform four to five coast downs from 5th to 4th gear and then 4th to 3rd gear. Then from a stop, you will moderately accelerate the vehicle and obtain all forward gear ranges while keeping the engine rpm below 1,800 rpms, repeating this procedure four to five times (this is a bigger PIA than it sound, as is the drift down). You will need lots of open road with no one on it to perform this. There is a bit more to the procedure than this but the details are in the instructions (for example the TCM will store adaptives every 10 minutes, so after completion of the procedure you must make sure the vehicle stays running for 10 minutes). I will readily admit although I attempted to follow these procedures my attempts were not particularly exact and my car still worked LOL.

After doing all that nonsense, I loaded in my Diablo 91CAI tune and headed out for a drive. I skipped one step though; I didn’t load the 3.06 ratio into my Diablo Predator. I figured my car already has the 3.06 gears and being as that’s the default setting I shouldn’t have to bother. Well I don’t know for sure if that was the reason or not but I didn’t even get up to 45mph and my car dumped into limp mode. I turned around went back to the house and reloaded the tune but this time set my gear ratio at 3.06 and never had another problem with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the detailed response! What do you think I should do about my torque converter? Should install it before or after the TCM?

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
8,909 Posts
I'd probably go ahead and install it first. You can then see how it works with the stock TCM, most likely it will work fairly well, but the MTCM should still improve things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts