Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and have a question. I have read a lot about oil filters in the forum as to which is prefferd. Does anyone know of a full size oil filter that holds a quart instead of the shorty filter like NAPA's 7899?

Tom

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7 qts. is what I keep hearing but mine shows over full if I put the last 1/2 qt. in.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I just went through this with the mecanic that did the last oil change on my car. The book says 7 Qts, however in Canada we go by Liters, and if you put in 7 Liters you WILL overfill by 1/2 Liter.
Dont ask me the details about Qts Vs Liters, I'm still trying to figure out Mph Vs Km/h.
I simply know that from my last 2 oil changes, that 7 Liters will overfill by 1/2 Liter because thats what happened, and the last time we put in 6.5 Liters and the dip stick was reading full.
Just MHO...

·
Registered
940 Posts
I would rather run my car a little low on oil instead of over filling it. Why not make it exactly what the dipstick says.
Just make sure and run the eng. and then make sure to let it set so the oil drains back to the oilpan before you check it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When you drain your engine you will never completely remove all the oil, there is oil stick up on the heads etc.

A brand new engine takes 7 quarts the first time it is filled, from my experience with these 6.1's and I have had 3 of them I put in 6 quarts crank the engine for 5 seconds let the oil filter fill up and shut down, wait 5-10 minutes let the oil drop into the pan and usuall it will take anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of that last quart to get you to the top of the full line.

Just drop in 7 quarts and you go over that full like by more then a 1/4 " which is about 1/4 to 1/2 a quart.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
I have read a lot of threads about the quality and performance of various oil filters. One of the best and most reasonably priced full-size filters for the 6.1 is the Purolator Pure One- Part No. PL24651. Some of the features are:

• Exclusive Micronic media which traps microscopic contaminants (99.9% efficient)
  • PTFE treated sealing gasket for easy installation and removal
  • Silicone anti-drainback valve to protect against engine dry start
PureONE Oil Filters

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
I have the R/T and put in 7 quarts exactly each oil change (seven changes now). The oil level is always right up to the full mark on the dip stick.

I use the standard Mopar OEM filter.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The Mopar Performance filter is a little longer than stock OEM filter.

#P4452890, a little over $8 at MSC.

#5038041AA is the SRT Viper filter also fits (per MSC) and available at MSC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts