Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Don't quote me but I seem to remember that I read somewhere, but cannot find it on the Diablosport website so obviously it was not them, that the average tune with a Predator would gain you about 30 - 40 more hp on a 6.1 6 speed.

I have been doing a bunch of research as I want to add a CAI and Predator tune at some point this year. The CAI will get you about a 5 hp increase but then couple it with a Predator tune and you should see much more.............. :burnout:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I loaded up the 91 octane tune on mine couple weeks ago, and didn't notice much of a difference. A bit better throttle response down low. I'd say it's worth 10 hp, at most.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I installed the 91 CAI tune after I put on the AFR Shaker hood. I noticed a difference, but it was not huge. The biggest difference from the stock tune was the shift points. Driving the same speed on the same roads for my commute I ended up using a different gear as the RPM was lower. Overall, I think the Predator was worth it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've talked to a local tuner shop, by the sounds of it these cars are pretty much maxed at from factory. stock exhaust flows pretty well and not much out of programming. sounds like the camaros and 5.0 mustangs are much more user friendly and they get more power out of them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i've talked to a local tuner shop, by the sounds of it these cars are pretty much maxed at from factory. stock exhaust flows pretty well and not much out of programming. sounds like the camaros and 5.0 mustangs are much more user friendly and they get more power out of them.
Owens, the exhaust on the srt8 are close to max on flow, if you want more flow, you have to eliminate the cats and or go with long tube headers. But I don't agree with your local tune shop, the canned tunes do make a difference, all cars are different, some gain more then others. but if you have acces to a good hemi tuner, then you can get some good power gains, a cmr tune is recommended to get the most gains. My 07' srt8 charger gained 28 rwhp with a custom cmr tune. Couldn't tell where exactly the gains were because I did cai, catback n tune all the same day, with just a stock base tune n after mods. Now on My 10' srt8 challenger , I did a baseline, installed mufflers, reso delete, and cai and redynoed and gained 8 rwhp from my baseline run. then after installed canned tune and gained 15 rwhp so up 7 more. Did custom cmr and gained 24 rwhp total. So 16 total rwhp gained from just the tune. All on the same dyne. There have been others that have made more and even less.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Owens, the exhaust on the srt8 are close to max on flow, if you want more flow, you have to eliminate the cats and or go with long tube headers. But I don't agree with your local tune shop, the canned tunes do make a difference, all cars are different, some gain more then others. but if you have acces to a good hemi tuner, then you can get some good power gains, a cmr tune is recommended to get the most gains. My 07' srt8 charger gained 28 rwhp with a custom cmr tune. Couldn't tell where exactly the gains were because I did cai, catback n tune all the same day, with just a stock base tune n after mods. Now on My 10' srt8 challenger , I did a baseline, installed mufflers, reso delete, and cai and redynoed and gained 8 rwhp from my baseline run. then after installed canned tune and gained 15 rwhp so up 7 more. Did custom cmr and gained 24 rwhp total. So 16 total rwhp gained from just the tune. All on the same dyne. There have been others that have made more and even less.

jamaya, the shop i did talk to does mostly gm vehicles. and another shop does mustangs only. don/t know of any dodge tuners in my area. what is a cmr tune? would you think i would feel much of a difference in just buying hand held tuner and dumping one of the loaded tunes in?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Guys using the predator stock tunes. Try this. Remove the #2 fuse for about 10 mins and then replace. See if that does not wake up the car and the tune. Also may want to try and set the throttle boost feature to 15 setting. I learned from others on this site and uto trans 6.1L is now a beast. Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts