Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided eventually I'm going to build out my 2009 SRT 6-SPD to a 426 as I want to go naturally aspirated for consistent smooth power, the 426 part is obvious! So I have a few questions. When young I had a 340 with a 284 duration 484 lift Mopar Performance Purple Shaft cam (if I remember the combo correctly) and loved the way it sounded with some turbo mufflers, lumpily-lumpity-lumpity! I'd like to build my 426 to achieve something resembling the following:

1. Safe consistent power that can still be a daily driver (well weekend daily anyway) but also capable of driving long distance without worry, like multi state road trip without worry.
2. Want it to sound like a lumpy cam'd out muscle car without being finicky to keep running smoothly or temperamental to drive, other than the keeping her straight when the pedals mashed!
3. Must run on premium pump gas without octane boosters.
4. Would like to keep the stock fuel system if possible. If not what is recommended and why?
5. Torque is as important if not more so than the peak HP #, looking for a good combo not something that just looks the best in a post somewhere.
6. Anything to upgrade on the Tremec other than a clutch?
7. Presuming new half shafts will be needed as well but would like to skip the need for a new driveline if possible/safe to do so.
8. Anything needed inside the rear end?
9. What am I missing or not asking?

If you have any recommendations for the above (vendors chime in as well) and who'd be a good choice near Seattle to do it please chime in. Not sure paying to ship my motor across the country to have the work done is the best use of my build money but would consider it if necessary.
Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
2009 Challenger SRT8
146 Posts
I have an Arrington 11/1 N/A 426 that runs and drives great. It is a little lopey with the ST3A cam. You need to consider that the PCM needs to deal with the cam and mine seems to work just fine. If the cam is too lopey the PCM won't like it. AJ at Arrington nailed the tune spot on driveability wise and was real close at WOT. I use a wide-band 02 to fine tune the WOT fuel.
I could have used the stock injectors I suspect but opted for the 50 pounders. I also use straight methanol injection for a little octane and cooling at WOT to protect against inferior fuel that I may encounter and therefore my fuel pump is not taxed as much at WOT. I try to run 93 Shell which around here has 10% alcohol and works well as long as it is reasonably fresh.
On the drivetrain, I use a Paramount 8.8 and can't advise you much on the stock setup other than some have reported breaking axles and a couple folks have reported splitting the differential case in 2 pieces or more when launching hard with traction and a manual trans.
A few vendors sell a heavier clutch pack and springs for the stock Getrag if you opt to stay with that.
Good luck,
Steve

·
Registered
2009 Challenger SRT8
146 Posts
I should add that with good 93 octane fuel and no methanol injection the one time I ran it like that it didn't show any detonation at WOT. The guys at Arrington commented that with ported heads I should make 490-495 at the wheel. I don't know, never had it on a dyno. I pull about 9% fuel 4000 rpm on up with the methanol going and shoot for 12.2 to 12.5 FA ratio on the wide-band at WOT.
I do have ported Arrington stage 4 heads, intake, and no cats.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have a buddy with an order from pwr for a 393, they are supposed to be good butengine was promised 2 weeks and is going on 9 weeks. Was supposed to ship a week ago but hasnt. Sooo just saying if your in a hurry when it comes time make sure they can deliver. I am sure the engine will be great but he has now missed most of the season and still no engine to be heard of.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip on that one, I'd probably do it as a winter project to avoid that sort of disappointment. They would however be expected to maintain some sort of schedule though.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Order a engine from ArrIngton or HHP.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Like I said, ordered from HPP and guess what, Bruce called this morning and the engine is done!!!!! Whooo Hoooo!!!! All aluminum 419 w/ Thiteks. Total time was 2.5 weeks. Super pumped.

·
Vendor
13,306 Posts
we have a very nice high boost balance rotating assembly available for $2995.00

h-beam billet rods with arp2000 bolts
4340 crank
ross's custom pistons
clevite main and rod bearings
reluctor ring
fully balanced assembly, high boost design for 10+ boost of force inductions

Luke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts