Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a exhaust for my new Black on Black 392 and was really disappointed. The pricing on every exhaust I found was through the roof, and was limited availability also. There were plenty of exhaust systems of all brands available for the 6.1, for way less money, but hardly any for the 392. As I was looking at product pictures, I noticed how similar the exhaust looks for the 392 compared to my old MBRP exhaust I had laying around that came off my previous 09 6.1 SRT. So, with nothing else to do today, I pulled my stock exhaust off to see if it was even close or could be modified to fit. As it turns out, it was a perfect match! All the mounts, placement, and location for everything was in exactly the same spot, including the location and sizing where the pipes meet at the front. There was no modification needed for anything. It was a no mod bolt-on. Start to finish took less than 2 hours, and I was rocking a badass sounding exhaust for free.
Yes, it would seem that virtually any bolt-on cat-back exhaust of probably any brand made for the 6.1 should bolt right on the 392, for a heck of a lot less money. Just thought it might open up a few options to let you guys know what I found. I will post a couple of installed pics if anyone wants to see it.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,083 Posts
Thanks for the news that 6.1 exhaust options should fit the 392! Funny you're the first person to say so when surely all of the vendors here should have known this by now?:scratchhead: How do you like the new sound vs. stock?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
They are pretty much a direct bolt on from the 6.1L BUT if you have an auto 392 you will get a ton of drone with the 6.1L exhaust. The auto 392 exhaust has the antidrone tech in it and the 6.1L does not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just purchased a Zoomers cat back today, and Frank with Zoomers had said the same thing -- the exhausts for the 6.1 will work for the 392.

I'll let you know about any drone issues (as mine is an auto) once I have it installed...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would guess that the dreaded drone will vary from exhaust type and brand. The manufacturers would probably incorporate additional tuning or resonators to try to cure that in the 392 exhaust considering it now has MDS in the automatic, so that makes sense. It wont make a difference to the 6 speed guys though, as their cars do not have MDS.
However, anyone who has had a MBRP exhaust pretty much knows that they are a little obnoxious anyway. My version does have resonators and mufflers, but my drone issues are not related to when the MDS kicks in. It sounds pretty much normal then. I do have a decent drone on mine when at low speed in second gear ( my car is an automatic). At that particular spot it is louder than I like. That being said, if I wanted it quiet I would have just left the stock exhaust on there. I really like the throaty sound, and living with the one spot I don't like is not a problem for me.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would guess that the dreaded drone will vary from exhaust type and brand. The manufacturers would probably incorporate additional tuning or resonators to try to cure that in the 392 exhaust considering it now has MDS in the automatic, so that makes sense. It wont make a difference to the 6 speed guys though, as their cars do not have MDS.
However, anyone who has had a MBRP exhaust pretty much knows that they are a little obnoxious anyway. My version does have resonators and mufflers, but my drone issues are not related to when the MDS kicks in. It sounds pretty much normal then. I do have a decent drone on mine when at low speed in second gear ( my car is an automatic). At that particular spot it is louder than I like. That being said, if I wanted it quiet I would have just left the stock exhaust on there. I really like the throaty sound, and living with the one spot I don't like is not a problem for me.

Glad to hear that you like your 6.1 MBRP on your auto 392. I had the MBRP exhaust on my 09 RT auto and loved it. It had a little drone when MDS kicked in, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I called MBRP about a 392 system and they told me it was still 3-4 moths out (end of summer). At that point I was very dissapointed that I had another long wait involving the 392. I think I will do the same thing and get the 6.1 system, the stock is too quiet IMO.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just purchased a Zoomers cat back today, and Frank with Zoomers had said the same thing -- the exhausts for the 6.1 will work for the 392.

I'll let you know about any drone issues (as mine is an auto) once I have it installed...
I just put Zoomers on my 392 manual and I love them! I did a long write up in the bolt on section under performance (where this thread will probably get moved to by the moderators). Basically totally badass and no drone! Awesome system. I think you will love them Velvet. If the MDS turns out to be a problem you can always disable it. They have really transformed this already amazing to car to absolute perfection.

Firehawk, unless you are a diehard MBRP fan I suggest you look into Zoomers. I've also heard good things about Solo.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thingfish - can't wait for them to show up. I've heard them on a '08 SRT8 challenger, and it sounds very mean. Good video, BTW, I think it captured the sound for the most part.

I had a MBRP on my '09 R/T, and it was definitely a good sounding exhaust as well...it was a bit quiet cruising around, but was louder than the Corsa, and sounded great when accelerating...When the MDS kicked in it was more pronounced and was somewhat drone like above 2300-2400 RPM, but with a tap of the gas or putting it into autostick mode would get rid of it. I'm thinking that it should be fine if the Zoomers do the same. Same strategy -- more gas or stick or just crank up the radio and all will be well...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hmm.. I thought the exhaust pipe diameter was larger on the 392 3"?
Yes, the Zoomers are 3" for the 392.

Thanks Velvet! So far it's all been music to my ears. I'm thinking you're gonna love them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've also heard good things about Solo.
I went with the Corsa Extreme on my 392 and am happy but went to Skyrunner's house on sunday to have a listen to his 392 with a full Solo exhaust including the Solo high flow cats. Totally bad-a$$ sound. It definately had me considering those cats. Skyrunner has posted pics of the install in the Solo Vendor forum. I kind of wish i'd have been aware of the group buy they had on the cats.

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had an SLP Loudmouth (can't recall I or II, but it was the louder of the two) on my R/T and absolutely loved them after I disabled MDS. I am dying to hear what they sound like a WOT on this massive engine!

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
. . . The auto 392 exhaust has the antidrone tech in it and the 6.1L does not.
What is the anti-drone tech in the 392 exhaust?

·
Premium Member
11,800 Posts
Yup, any 6.1L exhaust will bolt up and work on a 392 just fine. Main thing that holds back the manufacturers is how it would sound on 1. Bigger Motor and 2. On MDS Bigger Motor.

If you could get a video of yours that would be fantastic!

Love the MBRP sound!!!

Mikey

·
Registered
55 Posts
So both cars have same diameter exhaust pipes? Like I said thought the 392 had larger pipes on it. I dont get it. Why put 6.1 pipes on the 392? I wouldn't do it. I'd spend the money and get ones designed for the car. Drone it up!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So both cars have same diameter exhaust pipes? Like I said thought the 392 had larger pipes on it. I dont get it. Why put 6.1 pipes on the 392? I wouldn't do it. I'd spend the money and get ones designed for the car. Drone it up!!
As it turns out, there is no difference in the pipe design from the 6.1 to the 6.4. The pipes are the exact same size, in the same location, as are all the mounts and hangers. The pipes "designed" for the 392 do not flow more, make more power, look cooler or make your girlfriend like you better. The only difference would be the addition of resonators from some manufacturers that did not already include them anyway (my MBRP already had them )
- but that only applies to the people running automatics anyway. ( the 6-speeds do not have MDS) By the way, this MBRP that I am running does not drone at all when the MDS kicks in.
The 6.1 exhausts won't flow less, they only cost less, and are available now. At least there are options now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've been thinking about high flows. If you get serious about switching systems you owe it to yourself to listen to Zoomers too. IMO even meatier than the solos, but everyone has their preference.

Here's an entertaining thread on the comparison. I'd never try to make you regret your Corsa, but since you're already tipping after hearing the Solo....

Zoomers vs Solo Performance Mach X-3 vs Corsa Extreme - Lx Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum
Not regretting the Corsa Extreme at all, love the sound and especially that at full throttle it sounds great yet at cruising speed I get zero drone. Read the comparison and I'm happy to report that I had no fitment issues that the reviewer had with the Corsa. Mine was a simple install with zero fitment issues. I still am very interested however in the Solo cats.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yup, any 6.1L exhaust will bolt up and work on a 392 just fine. Main thing that holds back the manufacturers is how it would sound on 1. Bigger Motor and 2. On MDS Bigger Motor.

If you could get a video of yours that would be fantastic!

Love the MBRP sound!!!

Mikey
I put the MBRP 6.1 system on last night and I can tell the vedors... Sounds fantastic on the bigger motor and the MDS doesn't cause any drone when it kicks in. Man I love the MBRP sound too!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.