Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropping my 2009 SRT 6spd off at Arrington Performance for a 6.1L stroker 440cu build.

Going to have them install new McLeod RST twin disc clutch while engine is out.

Staying N/A on the 440. Keeping the full Magnaflow exhaust and the SRT factory headers, and even the factory air-box which has a K&N drop in air filter.

Considering having the factory intake port matched to the throttle body and intake ports on the soon to be ported factory heads.

Car already has a BBK 85mm throttle body and has a super-tune by Johan, of course Arrington will dyno and retune for the 440...

I bought his car new, have had no issues, has 102K miles and still has original clutch which is now starting to show it's age.

Going to have Arrington replace the accessory belt, tensioner, and water pump while engine is being assembled, everything else will be new.

Anyone have any other suggestions for parts consideration while Arrington has the car?

Bear in mind this is my daily driver...

:smoker:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
440 stroker Update

I had Arrington rebuild my 6.1L (370cu) engine. I bought the car new in 2009, it's a six speed, and it had 101,000 trouble free miles when I sent it to them.

This is my daily driver for a 150 mile round-trip daily commute, so it had to be reliable, and not too bad on gas. I figured at 101K miles the engine would be close to needing a rebuild (even though it still ran great and used zero oil), so no point in just adding a super-charger. Might as well just go with a rebuild, and go big for the extra power...

The clutch was just starting to feel like it was going to need work, so I figured this was a good time to have everything done at one time.

I am in Miami, Florida. So it was not worth driving the car to Arrington in Virginia (would take two cars, food, gas, and a hotel room), so I had it shipped to them, close to a thousand miles one way, cheaper to ship it!

I asked them for the 440 stroker kit. I wanted to keep my factory air-box, factory shorty headers, and keep the full Magnaflow exhaust I had installed.

When the engine and trans were taken out Arrington found that the pilot bearing was shot, and had damaged the input shaft on the six speed. So I asked them to have the trans pulled apart and repaired.

Engine was fully rebuilt to their 440 specs, and the new McLeod RST clutch kit installed.

I also had them port the stock intake.

I asked them to use the BBK throttle body I had already installed on the 6.1L engine.

I had Arrington replace the drop in K&N air filter with a new one, in the factory air-box.

I also asked them to replace the water pump, belt and tensioner for added reliability.

I also had them replace the factory drive-shaft with a DSS custom shaft, which is re-buildable and practically indestructible on a street car like mine.

It took Arrington close to two months but this was due to the trans, and drive-shaft waiting time, plus I told them to take their time, no hurry...

I had the car shipped back to me here in Miami last week. No sales tax needed to be paid as I did not pick up in person, this savings paid for the car to be shipped in one direction right there!

I have been driving the car all week back and forth to work about 75 miles in each direction. Mostly cruising at around 60-70 mph, at around 1500-2000 rpms. Car has lots of very useable torque, and of course plenty of horsepower. Sounds great too!:laugh2:

I will change the oil this weekend and keep driving it!

I would recommend Jonathon Wyatt and Arrington for their excellent customer service, and for providing me exactly what they said they would!

Dynoed at 510 HP and 525 TQ, with a really flat curve, lot's of fun to drive!:laugh2:

It's the black 2009 Challenger 440 on Youtube if you want to see the dyno run...

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
arrington has gotten a bad rap over the yrs.. some may be justified.. i know they are turning things around and doing great things.. they have helped me out a ton..

nice set up hope you enjoy it :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
How has this 440 motor held up for you? I want to get something like this for my 2019 ram 1500. I tow a lot, and need the TQ it provides. Reliability is my main concern.

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
Arrington has closed and restarted by new owner in MI

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would probably go through A2 since they have been the ones to recommend this for my truck. I am wanting 650-700rwhp, but I tow a lot, and need a strong bottom end. I know the 440 by itself will need boost to get there, but I can spend $10k for now, and low boost later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The motor has held up very well, uses no oil, runs cool in the Florida heat. Lots of torque and plenty of horse power. I have over 40K miles on it now. Sounds like operation has moved to MI now?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts