Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,987 Posts
You are probably better buying new lifters. The lifter faces of used lifters have taken a "set" with the cam lobes of the engine from which they were removed. There is some risk all lifters and cam lobes will adapt properly. If not a lifter face may wear or the lobe may wear and the lifter/lobe will be noisy (tick) or a cylinder will be down on power.

Even with new lifters and a "used" cam the proper adaptation may not happen with all lifters/lobes but the odds are better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are probably better buying new lifters. The lifter faces of used lifters have taken a "set" with the cam lobes of the engine from which they were removed. There is some risk all lifters and cam lobes will adapt properly. If not a lifter face may wear or the lobe may wear and the lifter/lobe will be noisy (tick) or a cylinder will be down on power.

Even with new lifters and a "used" cam the proper adaptation may not happen with all lifters/lobes but the odds are better.

Never heard of that with roller lifters. With flat tappets that’s the consensus.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,987 Posts
You're right. I keep forgetting the lifters in the Dodge high performance engines are roller lifters. (The last I don't know many years all engines of my cars have had flat lifters.)

There's still a bit of risk with used lifters. Why were they removed?

But if you are willing to run the (admittedly probably small) risk of getting one or more bad ones and would not consider it the end of the world to have to go back in the engine and replace any bad lifters, well, used ones it is.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts