Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do the 6.2 cam swap into a 5.7. I know most say go aftermarket but that usually means VVT lock/limiter and a significant increase in cost. Not looking for maximum power but instead a budget swap as the NA 5.7 camshaft is not ideal for boost. Other than the cam, springs and retainers it is not clear to me which push rods need to be purchased? I think the 6.2 cam has larger base diameter than the 5.7 but I am not sure if I just need to get 6.2 push rods or if I need to go custom length?

cam - 5038761AA
valve springs - PSI LS1515ML
retainers - Manley 23629-16
intake push rods - ???
exhaust push rods - ???

Has anyone done this swap that can point me to the correct push rods? I believe Luke mentioned they have done a couple and it is a good bang for your buck, especially if you don't have to swap out MDS lifters.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would think that the cams are fairly similar given that they are both VVT grinds. With that being said the best bet for identifying the push rod length is to get the push rod checking tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hellcats don’t have MDS .. and you have an M6 right ? . where does your MDS comment fit in ?
measure for pushrod length . it sucks when you think stock will work and they don’t .

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hellcats don’t have MDS .. and you have an M6 right ? . where does your MDS comment fit in ?
measure for pushrod length . it sucks when you think stock will work and they don’t .
Yes but if I had an auto I would have to swap out the MDS lifters. If that were the case I would not waste time on an OEM cam. Fortunately I an M6...no MDS = easy cam swap.

I was hoping someone already went through this swap and can state which push rods were used otherwise I will need to measure myself once the cam is installed like Dakbuilder eluded to.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
No MDS with Hellcats. So you are good either way. Just make the swap and measure for rod length.

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would think that the cams are fairly similar given that they are both VVT grinds. With that being said the best bet for identifying the push rod length is to get the push rod checking tool

Yeah, from what I know the 6.2 cam is more similar to the 6.4 grind (a little milder) but compared to a 5.7 it has more lift and duration.
https://www.racingjunk.com/news/2015/01/02/inside-the-hellcat/

I also recall Luke saying it was a great addition to FI applications.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f176/hellcat-cam-info-504530/

·
Registered
596 Posts
A guy I know with a 6.4 and a Maggie who picked up 40 whp with a HC cam over the stock 6.4 cam. RPM was raised 3-400 after the swap.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
This is good information. With that said I thought I saw on the forums someone out a Hellcat Cam in a boosted 5.7. Please chime in if this has been done for sure.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A guy I know with a 6.4 and a Maggie who picked up 40 whp with a HC cam over the stock 6.4 cam. RPM was raised 3-400 after the swap.
On paper the 6.4 is slightly more aggressive than the 6.2 (has more duration, less lift). I wouldn't have guessed that the extra duration was capable of squeezing out that much more power. I can find threads where guys (mostly the Ram owners) say they are going to swap in a 6.2 cam in a 5.7 but rarely do the threads have a follow-up or provide details on the swap.

·
Registered
596 Posts
On paper the 6.4 is slightly more aggressive than the 6.2 (has more duration, less lift). I wouldn't have guessed that the extra duration was capable of squeezing out that much more power. I can find threads where guys (mostly the Ram owners) say they are going to swap in a 6.2 cam in a 5.7 but rarely do the threads have a follow-up or provide details on the swap.[/QU

More info. He’s telling me the first tune was not great. HC cam and retune were done by Tim Barth and he tends to make more power with the Gen 3’s than most .so hard to truly say what the HC cam netted hp wise .

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On paper the 6.4 is slightly more aggressive than the 6.2 (has more duration, less lift). I wouldn't have guessed that the extra duration was capable of squeezing out that much more power. I can find threads where guys (mostly the Ram owners) say they are going to swap in a 6.2 cam in a 5.7 but rarely do the threads have a follow-up or provide details on the swap.[/QU

More info. He’s telling me the first tune was not great. HC cam and retune were done by Tim Barth and he tends to make more power with the Gen 3’s than most .so hard to truly say what the HC cam netted hp wise .
Ah Barth, they are not too far from me. I was tempted to get a dyno tune from them but saw a post on HP tuners where they were looking for a tuner proficient in tuning mopars. Kind of made be shy away.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ah Barth, they are not too far from me. I was tempted to get a dyno tune from them but saw a post on HP tuners where they were looking for a tuner proficient in tuning mopars. Kind of made be shy away.[/QUOTE
That was probably for his new shop which he has sold to Jeremy Satera
who is an excellent Mopar tuner .( Jeremy just did the TCM tune for my Hell Raiser HP 70 )
Barth is back on his own but only tunes Demons, RE’s ,Hellcats and builds race cars now.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So after doing some part number look-ups, the only differences in valve train (not looking at the valves) is the springs and cams. So it looks like all I need is the 6.2 cam and 6.2/6.4 valve springs (just don't need to install shims). Can it really be that simple? (well that and a tune is required)

Update: looks like stock length pushrods can be used when swapping a 6.4/6.2 cam into a 5.7 (from modern mopar forum).
http://****************.com/topic/11030-ok-392-cam-in-57-or-not/

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
799 Posts
Anyone know the difference between 5038787AC (specifically listed for HC) and 5038784AC (for 5.7/6.4/6.2...even MMX lists it as good for HC motors) lifters?

https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p-282-hellcat-hemi-lifters-by-mopar-set-of-16.aspx

On a side note, Snap-on has the valve compressor tool at $143.50.
https://store.snapon.com/Valve-Spring-Tools-Dodge-reg-Chrysler-reg-Valve-Spring-Compressor-P927629.aspx
5038787AC shows discontinued. Maybe that one is just lifters, the other contains the bridge and 4 lifters?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is some more info regarding the springs.

Apparently the 6.4 springs (same as 6.2) will fit on the 5.7 eagle heads despite the 5.7 having an install height of 1.810" int.&exh. and the 6.4/6.2 having an install height of 2.051" int./2.016" exh. Apparently the install height difference means the 6.4/6.2 springs will apply slightly more force on the valves. I guess the non-eagle 5.7 heads required more work to get the 6.4 springs to fit.
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/6-4-valve-springs-on-a-5-7.406176/

However, Mopar makes springs for a 5.7 which is designed to be used with stock seats and retainers. Apparently it is good for big lift cams...up to 0.625". It's only ~$6 more expensive than going with 6.4/6.2 springs. What is frustrating is it only shows it working for 2017 models but works with all engines...3.6/5.7/6.2/6.4. And shims are only required for 6.4 applications but the 6.2 and 6.4 have identical valve install heights. :huh: I wish information was correct and reliable, but like I see from the FSM you have to double check everything.
https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-valve-springs-p5160074

This puts me at the crossroads...do I keep the 6.4 springs or should I update the order for the P5160074 springs which I know will work without issue on the 5.7 eagle head?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got off the phone with one of the guys at Steve White and he confirmed the 6.4/6.2 springs will fit on the 5.7 eagle heads but the P5160074 spring are the better route to go with as they are designed to handle more lift and produce more force than the 6.4/6.2 springs. So basically, if you are going to swap a 6.4 or 6.2 cam into a 5.7 (eagle engine) then all you really need is the cam and P5160074 springs. Although if you are going through the trouble it is best to upgrade the pushrods as well. Like I showed in one of my early posts, the stock pushrods are not the best quality. Can't wait to get the parts. I will post up measurements of the cam journal diameters and base circle of the 6.2 cam and eventually of the 5.7 when it get's pulled.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts