Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When going from a 392 to 426. What are the clearance issues? Rod to block, rod to cam? or is it a straight drop in and run? Looking at Molnar crank and rods with Mahle forged pistons.

·
Premium Member
2014 100th Annivesary R/T
517 Posts
Should always send the block and rotating assembly to be clearance checked and balanced to ensure the smoothest long lasting assembly available. I am sure you can probably drop it in there and do a visual check but for the cost to have the work done its well worth it.

-Kenny

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not the type of clearances I'm talking about. IE when you build a 383 Chevy you have to cut into the block so that the rods will clear the side of the block and the lower portion of the bore. 350 chevy was never designed to go to 3.75 stroke so you have to cut into the block and bore. was wondering if the new hemis where the same?. Balancing the rotating assembly is common fair. I haven't broken in to these new hemis yet. I use to be a Chevy guy and have built a couple hundred motor. But I can find very little info on the Gen III hemi. I was hoping some one here could talk to technically on block clearance (Not bearing clearance) if any.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The Gen III hemis have a very long cylinder, there shouldn't be any need to clearance the bores, just maybe minor grinding on certain sections of the block, depending on what year the block is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just installed a molar crank, rods, and weisco pistons with no clearance issues on the block (426 Ci). I haven’t checked the clearance on the windage tray yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts