Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been debating pulling my 392 apart to put forged pistons in it to run a super charger, or take that motor out and save it. Then order up a 426 short block, obviously id be useing heads and cam and such from the 392. Other then that is there anything special involved to do this swap as na for now? Will the fuel system support it, do I need a special tune for the 426?

Kinda wondering what all is involoved.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
So I have been debating pulling my 392 apart to put forged pistons in it to run a super charger, or take that motor out and save it. Then order up a 426 short block, obviously id be useing heads and cam and such from the 392. Other then that is there anything special involved to do this swap as na for now? Will the fuel system support it, do I need a special tune for the 426?

Kinda wondering what all is involoved.

Thanks.
Look up forum member TNCHARGER; he has a 392 based 426.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
627 Posts
Whats cheaper build your motor or buy the new and what would give you more power

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've looked into this myself..
Stroking a 392 to 426 is cheaper than a 426 block..

If the price isn't a factor, which one would be better, an Aluminum Mopar 426 or a 392-stroked?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I've looked into this myself..
Stroking a 392 to 426 is cheaper than a 426 block..

If the price isn't a factor, which one would be better, an Aluminum Mopar 426 or a 392-stroked?
Aluminum block would weigh less by 60-100lbs depending on the setup. This could be considered better if you're racing. Aside, I think from an efficiency standpoint, it would be awesome to see if one of the vendors could pull off a 392 based 426 stroker with 8-4 cylinder deactivation, but I'd imagine the cam and tuning would be a PITA.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts

Kinda wondering what all is involoved. And if it's worth stepping up to the 426 or if I should just put forged pistons in my 392

Thanks.

You would have to use the heads and block from the 392 unless you want to pay cores charges for those items, The cam would have to change as well to get optimal power, You will also need to upgrade the fuel system and have a custom tune done to run it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts