Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling everyone with a 6.4 cam in a 5.7. So I recently have been in communication with a tuner that says that he recommends staying with a stock cam over the 6.4 cam. Stating that it looses so much power down low it doesn’t make up for it in the power gained up higher.

Everything I have read and the dyno sheets that I have looked at seem to say otherwise.... but I’m not a tuner who has experience also.

I just want to know if I’m trying to be sold on a cam that they sell, so I want it all the good the bad the ugly.

Setup is 6.4 intake manifold, 6.4 mids/headers, 3.7 rear end.
Was planning to do the non mds 6.4 cam (Mopar apringswith hellcat lifters.
Thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have a very similar setup and have the cam sitting waiting for install myself

My advice? Find a dyno tuner or street tuner. Tuning over email may be efficient however when it comes to cams there is a lot to be looked over and can be tedious. It is true you may lose a little power down low, but from my research people have gained about 50-60 wheel horse. Same cam in the 6.4 makes almost 500 crank horse, and keeps your vvt working ....

Oh and did i mention its not a $1,000 custom grind?

Im taking my chances

Dont forget to get pushrods

Also it will keep you smog legal

·
Registered
54 Posts
You will loose a little bottom end but will pick up 30 hp ish up top. Don’t believe the 60 hp gains. My car picked up 2 tenths and 3 mph in the quarter.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
573 Posts
Pretty sure one of the moderators (Hal H?) made a comment some time ago that he did this and it made everything better. No loss down low and a decent bump up top. “Didn’t have to downshift to pass anymore“ is how I remember him describing it.

Maybe talk to some other tuners? Perhaps they have different experiences?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I swapped out heads, added shorty headers and high flow cats. So I don’t not have before and after numbers for you on the cam alone. But I can tell you that the torque curve smoothed out, and it pulls all the way to 6,000 rpm. It’s a different feel for sure than the stock cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just FYI I’ve read tons of threads on the power gains I’m just trying to find the guys “who lost power”. Time to find another tuner it seems.

·
Super Moderator
15,798 Posts

read the above link - for the OP > find another tuner.

That guy is talking out his (other body part than mouth)...

·
Registered
33 Posts
The only people I've seen dissatisfied with the 392 cam used a phase limiter. It doesn't need one and almost negates the power gains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

read the above link - for the OP > find another tuner.

That guy is talking out his (other body part than mouth)...
What’s surprising is that he’s a well known tuner, seems like he was trying to sell me a cam. It’s a color..... if you catch my hint at who it is.
Hell Cat lifters are the same lifters used in the 5.7, and 6.4.

Got those already based off your post!

·
Registered
2010 Challenger R/T Classic
156 Posts
What’s surprising is that he’s a well known tuner, seems like he was trying to sell me a cam. It’s a color..... if you catch my hint at who it is.
Well yea, he sells his own cams. He wants to sell one of his own and tune it as well. Technically he’s not wrong that his would work better in terms of power, but it’s also much more expensive.

·
Registered
801 Posts
How much total was the quote for a custom cam, lifters instal and tune??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much total was the quote for a custom cam, lifters instal and tune??
It wasn’t like that, I have everything I need for the 392 cam install. So I was asking about a tune started talking to me about it saying how I should leave the stock cam and how I’ll loose power. I’m about $900 for everything took advantage of the Black Friday deals, I’m talking gaskets, cam, non mds lifters and so on.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,375 Posts
Lose power with a 6.4 cam swap in a 5.7? Nope, you will gain power...if you don't use a phase locker/limiter. It won't lope like other aggressive aftermarket cam grinds but it is easy to tune and does not require a different torque converter.

If you want proof that you will not lose power just look at the dyno chart below.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just finished the swap, Non mds lifters, 6.4 cam (valve springs recommended above) & 6.4 exhaust manifold. Already had the 6.4 intake manifold & hellcat airbox, I’m impressed I wasn’t expecting this much of an improvement. This combo with a 3.7 rear end is impressive for what it is.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,375 Posts
When I swapped in the 6.2 cam I noticed it really woke the engine. I have yet to get it dyno tuned so I am sure it will only get better.

·
Super Moderator
15,798 Posts
Just finished the swap, Non mds lifters, 6.4 cam (valve springs recommended above) & 6.4 exhaust manifold. Already had the 6.4 intake manifold & hellcat airbox, I’m impressed I wasn’t expecting this much of an improvement. This combo with a 3.7 rear end is impressive for what it is.
it makes you ask the question - why doesn't FCA offer a 'Magnum 5.7' as extra cost option?
it shows the potential of the 5.7 when you give it better breathing...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it makes you ask the question - why doesn't FCA offer a 'Magnum 5.7' as extra cost option?
it shows the potential of the 5.7 when you give it better breathing...
I agree, I’m more then Happy with where this thing sits right now. The 3.7 gears at this power level make it very twitchy on the street.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts