Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anyone out there that has put a 6.4 can in a VVT 5.7. Did you reuse the 5.7 valve springs or did you use the 6.4 springs as well? I’m trying to figure out if the 6.4 springs can be used for this cam swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Don't use the 6.4 springs get the mopar performance spring set. The individual springs are cheaper though.

There is a risk that the 6.4 springs in a 5.7 will bind (different install heights). The mopar performance springs are good up to 0.625" lift...more than enough for the 6.4 cam.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just completed the 6.4 cam swap using the Mopar springs Challytatum referenced. I stuck with the mds cam to keep costs low. Makes lots more mid-range and upper torque and power.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool thanks everyone for the insight. I will grab the Mopar Performance Springs. This is a Non MDS cam going in a Non MDS Block.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Always thx Chally. I’m doing this for a friend and needed to know which way to go. I certainly appreciate all of the help from everyone.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup those springs I used for the 6.2 cam into the 5.7. I regularly hit 6400 (first winds out way too fast) and have yet to have any issues.
Challytatum when you installed these into your 5.7 do you recall if you needed to shim them at all. I just picked up a set from my stealership. Right around what you quoted. Ended up paying $4.96 a piece plus MD tax of coarse. Total cost ended up being $84 and some change. Thanks again for the advice on these.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Challytatum when you installed these into your 5.7 do you recall if you needed to shim them at all. I just picked up a set from my stealership. Right around what you quoted. Ended up paying $4.96 a piece plus MD tax of coarse. Total cost ended up being $84 and some change. Thanks again for the advice on these.

No shims are needed on the 5.7. The 5.7 has a shorter install height than the 6.4 which is why shims are needed on the 6.4.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
213 Posts
You mean your springs are sitting on the bare aluminum head? Ik for sure mine have some kind of steel washer under the spring, I just had them off a few weeks ago to fix some stem seals. Maybe it's just a difference between years but obv neither of us have had problems.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
213 Posts
Now just to clarify, i didn't add a shim. There was already a thin steel "washer" under my OEM springs. You guys didn't have this?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Now just to clarify, i didn't add a shim. There was already a thin steel "washer" under my OEM springs. You guys didn't have this?
It was part of the valve stem seal..no washer/shim...kind of looked like this if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
213 Posts
I attached a picture of the shim on mine from when I found the bad valve seals. That thin shim is what came from OEM and I found an old convo with Mopar support and they actually told me to use that shim for these springs. So I assume it's just a difference between years, mines 2010 and you're both 2015+

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Like I said, no shim on mine just a valve stem seal that looked to have an integrated washer. Like in the vid I posted.

Kind of like this.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
213 Posts
Gotcha, I wish mine used that style, would've kept my valve stem seals from popping up like they did.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
213 Posts
Here's some info for the OP. Since 2013 uses the same seal as my 2010, as long as you have the 1mm shim and not the 2mm that some cars came with you can just reuse them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts