Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
It was mentioned in one of my books but does seems to only talk about pre-VVT. But like the FSM says it is the valve stem seals are one piece. Although the caption in the book on the right hand side mentions the 5.7 has a flat valve seat with a seal on top.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mine has a factory 1mm shim. I was referring to additional shims. Sorry for the confusion. With that said it did generate more quality information for others, so thank you kindly to everyone who posted up info in this thread. I’ve already installed the springs. Went off without a hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,564 Posts
My '09 R/T (built 10/2008) and my friend's '14 R/T (built 10/2013) had the separate valve stem seal and the separate steel spring seat / shim.

I recall this as I removed those when doing the new springs for the cam swap. I had new spring locator / seat cups that were being installed just as I had done on my '09.

In both cases the engines were low miles (the '14 had 3,400mi on it) so I didn't touch the valve stem seals.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Side note the guy in this video is a BOSS. I have all of those tools and would never attempt to replace a valve seal with the head still on the car. Props to that guy for taking on that pain in the tail feather task.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
All I got to say is removing the springs while the heads are still on the car is a PITA on challengers. It's putting the keepers back on that is the most difficult...especially near the firewall. In the end, a dab of grease really did the trick. Did not help that it was like +100 degrees in the garage.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
Another thing to note is for all those who plan on doing this is you might be better off with the crane cam version of the spring compressor tool as it gives pretty much full access to the keepers.

BTW the tool is on sale for $100.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That is the version of the tool I picked up. But I paid $154 for it which was so worth the price. But for $100 that’s a freaking steal for sure.

·
Super Moderator
15,564 Posts
Another thing to note is for all those who plan on doing this is you might be better off with the crane cam version of the spring compressor tool as it gives pretty much full access to the keepers.

BTW the tool is on sale for $100.

View attachment 993808 View attachment 993809
yes on both items - I have the Crane style compressor and a small dab of grease makes those stem locks / keepers stay on - was told that trick by a mechanic friend before I ever did my first cam swap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have done a few spring swaps in car and the Challenger was no worse than any other in that regards. That oil pump pickup tube bolt though, that was the hardest part of the cam swap for my sausage fingers. Lol. Challytatum's 6.2 cam swap thread helped me tons in the swap.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,962 Posts
It was mentioned in one of my books but does seems to only talk about pre-VVT. But like the FSM says it is the valve stem seals are one piece. Although the caption in the book on the right hand side mentions the 5.7 has a flat valve seat with a seal on top.
View attachment 993796
Looks like this book, the FSM and my memory are wrong. The eagle motors do not appear to have shims integrated with the seals like the pre-eagle 5.7s. My bad.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts