Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its becoming apparent that the 6.4 hemi is not underrated. What are the differences between it and the 6.1 to increase its specific output (hp/liter)?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its becoming apparent that the 6.4 hemi is not underrated. What are the differences between it and the 6.1 to increase its specific output (hp/liter)?

My bad. Meant to say "is not overrated". Always have trouble with double negatives.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Well, there is the increase in displacement, the new intake manifold, the higher compression to name a few offset by an increase in weight.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I wanna find out what blower we can put on it. :bigthumb:
Good friend, Dodge mechanic, called me yesterday, said the 5.7 and 392 auto intake gaskets have the same part number.

·
Registered
714 Posts
hp per litre is a silly measurement of no usefulness whatsoever

Now how many pounds of gasoline does it burn per horsepower-hour, or how many grams per kWh now THAT is interesting :)

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Good friend, Dodge mechanic, called me yesterday, said the 5.7 and 392 auto intake gaskets have the same part number.
Good to know, I did not do some looking to see what parts are up on star parts as of yet.

Hopefully people start getting them soon so the performance shops can get there hands on them, If I could I would have one on mine before spring time then get it forged once that fun stuff is all released.:bigthumb: Did you find out Goehner what that new supercharger was that they were 'releasing' a couple weeks back?

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Good to know, I did not do some looking to see what parts are up on star parts as of yet.

Hopefully people start getting them soon so the performance shops can get there hands on them, If I could I would have one on mine before spring time then get it forged once that fun stuff is all released.:bigthumb: Did you find out Goehner what that new supercharger was that they were 'releasing' a couple weeks back?
Over on LX forum, A.J. said Arrington has a 392 they are working on, so the process has begun.

I think Edelbrock has one they are getting ready to release for the Hemi, not sure if that is the one you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Over on LX forum, A.J. said Arrington has a 392 they are working on, so the process has begun.

I think Edelbrock has one they are getting ready to release for the Hemi, not sure if that is the one you are talking about.
Nice I really want to get some goodies for it ASAP.:bigthumb: This is really all that is holding me back from being 100% sold on the 392 vs my current 6.1 is the ability to modify but it looks that will be here soon enough so its less of a worry!
That is what some thought that it was the Edelbrock then someone from Arringtion chimed in saying its bigger...:scratchhead:

EDIT: We should ask AJ if he could give us some updates here on CT aswell.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Here are some of the differences, per Car & Driver:

• The 6.4 has a plastic intake is a two-stage plenum with air flaps that effectively vary the intake ram length based on engine speed.
  • In the block, the camshaft timing is now variable, stretching out the duration of the intake-valve opening for better cylinder filling. The two systems work together to give the 6.4 much greater punch in the 2000-to-4000-rpm range.
  • Cylinder deactivation on automatic-equipped cars, a fuel-saving feature not offered on the 6.1.
  • A rerouted intake that was heavily worked over by computational fluid dynamics software to be straighter and more efficient.
  • The compression ratio changes from 10.3:1 to 10.9:1.
  • A straighter dual-exhaust system that ends in quad tips “just barely passes” the legal noise-level limit.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Will the 392 require a catch can? Will any of the 5.7/6.1L cans fit it?

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Here are some of the differences, per Car & Driver:

• The 6.4 has a plastic intake is a two-stage plenum with air flaps that effectively vary the intake ram length based on engine speed.
And the intake gasket is the same part # as the 5.7... Very interesting. Does anyone know if the air-flaps are under ECM control, or are they run by vacuum?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would buy a catch can for a 392. I assume that the catch can for a 5.7 will work. To be sure, check with one of the vendors.
Thanks, I'll look into it when the car gets here. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts