Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to change the 5.7-L engine in my 2010 RT, to a 6.4-L crate engine?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Might actually be easier to trade your 2010 R/T in on a Scat Pack. These questions are asked all the time. It would also be easier since your 2010 is paid off by now to build the 5.7l into something that smokes a 6.4l equipped car.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,170 Posts
There is a guy on HP tuners that appears to be doing this. Problem is PCM. I don't think you can just take a 6.4L PCM, write a 5.7 VIN on it and install it in a 5.7 car. A 5.7L PCM can work with a 6.4L engine (copy over all settings from a stock 6.4 tune to a 5.7 PCM), however the VVT cam setting would need to be offset by 10 degrees to account for the difference in cam LSA. To get the intake runner valve to work you can use an MSD switch but I think if you have the 6.4 harness you might be able to enable it through the PCM.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,728 Posts
Since I’ve owned a 2010 R/T and 2011 SRT at the same time, I can understand the desire to go with the 392 engine. After the 2015 refresh, the new 8 spd transmission and styling changes were enough to entice me to change out my car once again. Not sure if you’ve got a manual or auto currently, but the A8 has it over the A5 by leaps and bounds.
Personally, I’d take a good look at a Scat Pack with the current $10/HP discount as well as end of the year sales and be done with it. It will save you a lot of headache in the end, and you won’t be throwing money at a 9 year old vehicle. It’s something to consider if you can swing it.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,196 Posts
You could do what I'm doing and stroke it to a 392...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised that none of you would be willing to swap in a 6.4..... With that said, I'm in the process of doing just that with my 2013 5.7 6spd R/T..... I have a 2013 6.4 that I'm stroking to a 426 setup with boost. There are many reasons to keep the 2010 you have the most obvious is how easy it is to change gears in your vehicle vs the 15 and later models.... Maybe you like the styling of the 08-14 Cars. Either way the swap isn't hard at all, and using your vehicles current PCM so long as it is VVT capable (which 2010 5.7's are) makes it very easy...... I use HPT for tuning my vehicle so it's quite easy to copy/modify 6.4 settings into a 5.7 PCM. For me it is cheaper to swap out a 6.4 block than to buy another vehicle unless it is a Hellcat.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,170 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised that none of you would be willing to swap in a 6.4..... With that said, I'm in the process of doing just that with my 2013 5.7 6spd R/T..... I have a 2013 6.4 that I'm stroking to a 426 setup with boost. There are many reasons to keep the 2010 you have the most obvious is how easy it is to change gears in your vehicle vs the 15 and later models.... Maybe you like the styling of the 08-14 Cars. Either way the swap isn't hard at all, and using your vehicles current PCM so long as it is VVT capable (which 2010 5.7's are) makes it very easy...... I use HPT for tuning my vehicle so it's quite easy to copy/modify 6.4 settings into a 5.7 PCM. For me it is cheaper to swap out a 6.4 block than to buy another vehicle unless it is a Hellcat.
If I blew my 5.7L I would definetly consider swapping a 6.4 if I can get the long block cheap enough although would rather prefer going with a 6.2 long block.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,170 Posts
So apparently a 6.4 PCM will work in a 5.7 vehicle. There is a guy on HP tuners forum that seems to have done this...just have the PCM written with the VIN, and have the tune modified so the ABS/ESP is configured for tha 5.7 engine instead of 6.4.

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
you dont need to swap pcm, you simply reconfigure it with a later calibration and then tune using HP tuner software, its actually not a very difficult swap

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
just swapped a 5.7 for a 6.4 in a 2013 Ram 1500

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts

old 5.7L coming out

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,170 Posts
you dont need to swap pcm, you simply reconfigure it with a later calibration and then tune using HP tuner software, its actually not a very difficult swap
Yes the 5.7 PCM will work but then you have to offset the VVT tables as the 5.7 and 6.4 have different full advance baseline. I know this because I installed a 6.2 cam in a 5.7 and the PCM kept reading 125 for full advance but the cam is actually at 135. I had to offset all my tables by 10 degrees.

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes they do but it’s not very hard to copy the tables. Because you posted everything for us. And I saved the tunes. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,170 Posts
Just remember those stock tunes were for a GPEC2A controller (2015 challengers). Pre-2015 used GPEC2 but only difference I have seen is the 2A has a few more tables available.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just remember those stock tunes were for a GPEC2A controller (2015 challengers). Pre-2015 used GPEC2 but only difference I have seen is the 2A has a few more tables available.
For my 6.4 Swap my intentions are to take the tables I need/want from a 6.4 tune & Then modify what I need from a Hellcat tune, and go from there dialing in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
What if you wanted to make the active exhaust functional? Which path would be better then?

My understanding is that my 2015 has the wiring already, so maybe swapping in pipes with the active exhaust valves and changing the PCM could mean that could be added as well?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,170 Posts
What if you wanted to make the active exhaust functional? Which path would be better then?

My understanding is that my 2015 has the wiring already, so maybe swapping in pipes with the active exhaust valves and changing the PCM could mean that could be added as well?
HP tuners has the tables available but are you sure the wiring exists? If it does there should be a white/tan stripe wire leading out of pin 8.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
152 Posts
HP tuners has the tables available but are you sure the wiring exists? If it does there should be a white/tan stripe wire leading out of pin 8.
I can't say for sure the wiring is there, not even sure where I heard that it was.

When I get my car back, if I can figure out where that plug is, I will take a look.

Only asking because the Active Exhaust has been one the options I have want pretty bad, and it would be one more reason to think about modding my car instead of trading it on an SP. I can dream, right?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts