Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I new to the forum so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I have what may be a very simple question.

I have been a GM guy my whole life, but when I was looking for a new car I was blown away by the Challenger and picked myself up a 2012 SRT8 392 Challenger in Redline Pearl. I couldn't be happier with my decision and love it to death.

My question is about the engine cover though. On every other SRT8 I looked at, they had engine covers that read 392 Hemi. The engine covers on my 2012 read 6.4L Hemi. I don't mind much that they don't say 392, but am curious why I haven't seen this on any other ride. I know the Jeep's had these on them when they first came out, but this car is bone stock with nothing done to it. A dealer bought it, drove it two months and then just parked it. I bought it with just over 1,000 miles.

Here is a pic so you can see what mine look like:

Let me know if you have info about this.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've never seen those! I like them though. Congrats on the car!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, man. I love the car! I was really surprised by the Challenger SRT8's in general. Tried driving the Camaros, the Mustangs, Genesis Coupes, and the Challengers, but only the SRT8 Challenger stood out. Nothing else like it out there in my opinion.

I tried the R/T Challengers, but just couldn't do it. There is something about that 392 that is just so perfect! It is a great club to be joining!

Anyway, I haven't been able to find any information about these engine covers. If they are something rare I would like to know, but they seem to be some sort of anomaly.

·
Registered
228 Posts
usually you see those on the chargers but I have seen them on a few challengers as well I have an extra set of 6.4 l covers sitting in my shed as spares incase something happens to my 392 hemi ones

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,117 Posts
There was some type of mix up on the assembly line, those covers I believe, are for a Canadian version Challenger.
There was a forum member here not long ago that had 6.4 liter one side and 392 on the other side.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do have the 392 badges on the fenders though right?
Yeah, I do have the 392 badges on the fenders. It is for sure a 392, has everything that one should plus the VIN checks out with SRT and Chrysler.

The engine covers were never swapped out though. I talked to the dealer and he knows the guy who owned the car. He ordered it as it sits, got it, ordered a Viper the same day, then traded the Challenger for the Viper when it came in.

Interesting that a guy on here had one that had one 392 cover and one 6.4L cover. Maybe it was a mess up at the factory... Is there any documentation anywhere that shows some cars came with the wrong covers? Mine has a build date of 11/11 so it is a pretty early 2012 SRT8.

·
Registered
254 Posts
There was some type of mix up on the assembly line, those covers I believe, are for a Canadian version Challenger.
There was a forum member here not long ago that had 6.4 liter one side and 392 on the other side.

Is it weird that I want one of each?

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Wrong, my car is Canadian and it has 392 hemi on them. There must be a mix up at the factory like someone suggested or they are from a charger.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,117 Posts
Ok, seems the Charger covers got on there somehow.
Where's the member who just got a plum 392 Charger? He could verify our theory!
SRT8tech where are u?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I worked at a Chrysler- Plymouth dealer in the early eighties. We often got in Plymouths with Dodge tailights or steering wheels. The owner told us that was done to keep the assembly line moving when they ran out of certain parts. Most likely this is why there are 6.4 covers instead of the usual 392 ones.

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
They'd rather correct it later than stop the line. My friend saw a Chevy with different fabric on the back seat than the front ones.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Is there any documentation anywhere that shows some cars came with the wrong covers?
I highly doubt it. Chrysler would never admit to it.

If I were you, I'd document this myself. Take plenty of pictures of the car the way it sits (and maybe get an affidavit from the original owner stating that he didn't change anything). Use that as your proof...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It was just a mix up at the factory probably. The only Chargers to have "392 Hemi" on the fenders and half covers were the Super Bee's and the SRT Chargers with the 392 appearance package (the 392 appearance package was way after your build date - '14 MY). The regular SRT Chargers have "6.4L Hemi" on the fenders and half covers.

So more than likely they mixed your half covers with a regular SRT Charger.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I had to double check under the hood after reading this thread. I like my Cubic Inches in the Land of Metric.

There is a Charger SRT8 Bumble Bee parked across from me and he has the 6.4L emblem on the fender.

Regardless, the garage is well appointed with Detonator Yellow and Stinger Yellow Dodges sporting Red fender Emblems - makes the resident black Camaros look pretty bland by comparison.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
381 Posts
FYI 300 and Grand Cherokee SRTs have the 6.4L covers too. 300, Charger and Challenger all come from the same plant, so I too suspect it was a "keep the line moving" and give you a set of 6.4L covers, and it didn't get corrected prior to leaving the final assembly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
FWIW I have the 6.4L covers on my Yellow Jacket also. I bought the car with 3k miles so I'm not 100% tht they weren't swapped, but interesting to see someone slse in the same situation.

·
Super Moderator
16,322 Posts
I wonder of the 6.4 Hemi covers were intended for Canadian market models and 392 for the US versions?

It certainly seems plausible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts