Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do a camp swap and valvetrain reinforcement with springs, pushrods, lifters, etc. Can you pull the heads on these motors without pulling the motor from the car? My concern is being able to meet torque requirements On reinstall because of how to take these engine bays are.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Getting ready to do a camp swap and valvetrain reinforcement with springs, pushrods, lifters, etc. Can you pull the heads on these motors without pulling the motor from the car? My concern is being able to meet torque requirements On reinstall because of how to take these engine bays are.
You can R & I heads on the engine without removing it. With the stock shortys, you unbolt the headpipe and leave them attached to the heads.

The head bolts are single-use (stretch bolts). Anytime you have a bolt the specs a torque figure, then a final # of degrees - that's a stretch bolt. There's two sizes of bolts used - there are sets of replacement bolts for that type of job.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can R & I heads on the engine without removing it. With the stock shortys, you unbolt the headpipe and leave them attached to the heads.

The head bolts are single-use (stretch bolts). Anytime you have a bolt the specs a torque figure, then a final # of degrees - that's a stretch bolt. There's two sizes of bolts used - there are sets of replacement bolts for that type of job.
Awesome thank you for the insight and quick response. Before I go looking I wanted to use ARP studs, which I used on my cummins build. Are u aware if they have the bolt kit for these late models? Or do you suggest a better option?

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Awesome thank you for the insight and quick response. Before I go looking I wanted to use ARP studs, which I used on my cummins build. Are u aware if they have the bolt kit for these late models? Or do you suggest a better option?
there are ARP stud kits for the 6.4s - don't know if its worth $350 ~ 500 for that. Haven't heard of issues with the stock bolts having issues.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
Head bolts may also make it a pain to service the heads in the car.

There was a time where I was a fan of head bolts, but that time has passed.

Head STUDS, meant to say STUDS! DOH!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts