Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)
Well, Mopar is at it again, and the testing has begun. Mopar has been working on releasing their 6.4L HEMI and decided to do the testing in a Challenger. Thats right, they stuffed the new HEMI into a 71 Challenger drop top for the Hot Rod Power Tour. We are not sure if the car actually made the run, but is was scheduled to. They were still testing the day before and wanted to make sure before the long haul that everything was good to go. They dyno'd this beast and it produced in excess of 525HP. They are going to offer 2 versions of this monster, a carb version, and a fuel injection version. They are also playing around with some new toys for it as well. With the potentially close release of the 6.4L crate motor, a production version may soon follow, IMO

·
Registered
102 Posts
Uhm, can you explain to me how they want to offer the 6.4 in carbureted version as well ? I mean, I am sure such an engine, with carburetors, couldn't pass emissions at all...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Legion681 said:
Uhm, can you explain to me how they want to offer the 6.4 in carbureted version as well ? I mean, I am sure such an engine, with carburetors, couldn't pass emissions at all...
Right now emmissions aren't an issue. It has only been developed as a crate engine, so some guy dropping one in his '70 duster might prefer carbs. What we all hope, pray, dream, and plead is that this becomes a production engine so that when Chevy drops the LS7 in a Camaro SS we can shrugg our shoulders and watch it disappear in our rearviews :D. Not that I ever street race ;). Street racing is wrong and should not be tolerated.

T
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Challenger_Nut said:
That's the car Delaney built and it was not on the Power Tour.:( BTW it's a 70 model.
Darn it, when I was sitting here writing this, I was scratching my head trying to remember if it was a 70, or a 71.
Thanks for the correction.
I was hoping that it made the trip, but the last coversation I had they stated that there were a few more things to tie up before they ventured the long haul. They didn't want to tear anything up by slapping it together and running it, they wanted it done, and done right.
I would sure like to see this beast, as this is putting out as much, if not more power than the 472 HEMI crate motor. I'm sure it is even lighter than that as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
balddude said:
Right now emmissions aren't an issue. It has only been developed as a crate engine, so some guy dropping one in his '70 duster might prefer carbs. What we all hope, pray, dream, and plead is that this becomes a production engine so that when Chevy drops the LS7 in a Camaro SS we can shrugg our shoulders and watch it disappear in our rearviews :D. Not that I ever street race ;). Street racing is wrong and should not be tolerated.

Ah ok, it's a crate engine ! Ok thanks for the explanation !

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would love to see this motor offered as an option on future SRT models. With the high weight that is predicted for the Challenger and the Charger being as big as it is it would be easily justified.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The right gearing will help in the weight dept.,too. I hope we have at least two gear ratios to choose from,but I doubt it. If it only gets the Autobahn cruisin 3.03 ratio that the Viper got stuck with, than they might as well make it a 4-speed cause you'll never use 5 or 6 gear. How about something in the high 3's? Like 3.73's? Happy! Happy!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts