Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one out there that prefers the NA 6.4L over the SC 6.2L? I prefer NA over a power adder. I know I might be in the minority here, but I am in love with my car and have no desire to someday go to the Hellcat.

Let me know if any of you feel the same way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is no such thing as enough horsepower. I have a 6.4 and love it every day i get to drive it... But I will be forging the bottom end and throwing a supercharger on it in due time.. Along with a hellcat clutch setup

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,040 Posts
Am I the only one out there that prefers the NA 6.4L over the SC 6.2L? I prefer NA over a power adder. I know I might be in the minority here, but I am in love with my car and have no desire to someday go to the Hellcat.

Partially. Have to say upfront you can have my Hellcat when you pry the steering wheel from my cold dead fingers.

But a NA engine has some attraction. Low end is better because the compression ratio can be higher with a NA engine and high compression really gives the piston a good push off once the piston is over TDC and on its way down the cylinder on its power stroke. The engine gets back almost all it put into compressing the intake charge and the total result is an engine that pulls good down low, is very tractable.

This is more important than you might at first believe. The saying is while we buy HP we drive torque and a high compression NA engine can have lots of torque down low. I really enjoy driving cars fitted with large engines -- although I've owned some cars with some rather small engines too; Boxster (2.7l), and more recently JCW (2.0l); and enjoyed the heck out driving these cars partially because while they are small engines they have some attributes of larger engines thanks to tuning (variable cam timing and an 11.3:1 compression ratio (Boxster) and a two stage turbo-charger (JCW) -- as the big engine with its gobs of low down torque make getting the car moving a breeze and of course once underway acceleration is available at the touch of the gas pedal.

OTOH if you love your car with its 6.4l NA engine don't test drive a Hellcat. Its engine makes around 400ftlbs torque at around 1K RPMs. 'course, the 6.4l engine ain't chopped liver. The 6.4l engine makes around 350ftlbs of torque at around 1200 RPMs.

The HC engine torque curve climbs pretty steeply to a max. of 650ftlbs of torque at around 4500 RPMs while the 6.4l engine's torque curve is much flatter rising to 475ftlbs at around 4K RPMs.

485hp and 475ftlbs of torque (2018 MY 6.4l engine numbers) ain't too shabby though that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Gotta say, I'm in your camp.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Same here. Perfectly contented with my Scat Pack, and I prefer a NA engine for what my needs are.

At 64, there's always faster cars and younger women! LOL

Reactions: 72/340

·
Registered
694 Posts
Same here. Perfectly contented with my Scat Pack, and I prefer a NA engine for what my needs are.

At 64, there's always faster cars and younger women! LOL
well at 71 feel exactly the same, love my sp & since still working & my dd, by far more than i need as my '09 r/t was enough, but fca hit the trifecta & forced me to buy my sp. yellow & black color, like my '71 340 duster, & then the shaker. i don't care that it doesn't add hp. i don't care i spent more money for looks. sure could have spent elsewhere but at my age you start think last this, last that.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
well at 71 feel exactly the same, love my sp & since still working & my dd, by far more than i need as my '09 r/t was enough, but fca hit the trifecta & forced me to buy my sp. yellow & black color, like my '71 340 duster, & then the shaker. i don't care that it doesn't add hp. i don't care i spent more money for looks. sure could have spent elsewhere but at my age you start think last this, last that.
I feel that way now at 60! LOL!! I truly don't know how I did it....

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Let's not get carried away here...I mean I love my 392 as much as the rest of you, but I'd be in a Hellcat right now if I could comfortably afford it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
what he said.......^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

Shit brother I am thinking last this and that and I am 62 lol.....I love that yu are rocking the shaker at 71...buuut...You could rock the kitty just as well. :)

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
There is no such thing as enough horsepower. I have a 6.4 and love it every day i get to drive it... But I will be forging the bottom end and throwing a supercharger on it in due time.. Along with a hellcat clutch setup
Guess I'll disagree here, though it's certainly not the first time. I can (and do) indeed have ENOUGH horsepower. I'm really happy with my 392 and honestly have no desire to drive anything faster. And most of the time, I enjoy just cruising around town with the window down and the oldies blastin'... I rarely push the peddle down much. Typical speed limit around here is only 40 anyway...
For me, I get a kick out of just knowing that I own 485 horses.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Let's not get carried away here...I mean I love my 392 as much as the rest of you, but I'd be in a Hellcat right now if I could comfortably afford it.

Not carried away at all. I have plenty of other hobbies in life, and I fully enjoy and like my SP.

Guess if I were lottery rich, I would add a Demon for the heck of it, but really have no lust for anything more than my SP.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,148 Posts
I know what the OP is talking about with the 392. It's a good, torquey, fun to drive motor that has plenty of power to me. If I ever want more, I can forge and pressurize her and still be under a Hellcat price tag.

I've had cars that were Much faster, quicker, whatever (10 second C5 Vette, 9 second street driven 68 Camaro, etc), but our SRT 392 just makes me feel special when I drive her and is probably my favorite of the cars that I've been Blessed to have. Hellcat power wouldn't change that.

I try not to wish away what I could have and just enjoy what I do have. It might sound kind of stupid, but it's how I feel because I know that quite a few people would be Happy to have a nice, fun car like we have.

Once again, I feel Very Blessed! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Not carried away at all. I have plenty of other hobbies in life, and I fully enjoy and like my SP.

Guess if I were lottery rich, I would add a Demon for the heck of it, but really have no lust for anything more than my SP.
Me too! Well, a lottery....... perhaps SPS. But the engine wouldn't change.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
694 Posts
Shit brother I am thinking last this and that and I am 62 lol.....I love that yu are rocking the shaker at 71...buuut...You could rock the kitty just as well. :)
well as the old saying goes i've got shoes as old as you young kid & i use my sp as a dd when weather is nice as are still working & do get caught in rain or snow & she can be a hand full then especially with those goodyear rsa tires. i have got rid of them on all my other cars but with only 5k on her not going to change them yet. would cut into my baby food budget, you know that's all you can eat over 70. & as another old man hero of mine said in a movie a long time ago "a man has to know his limitations"

·
Registered
4,294 Posts

You're preaching to the choir brother! I find my Scat Pack very satisfying, that's after owning two SRT vehicles before it. It's easy to sit on the sidelines owning this car and watch the automakers go into ludicrous speed developing super great car after super great car. Us lovers of horsepower will have no shortage of hot rods to drive for the next couple decades at least!

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
You're preaching to the choir brother! I find my Scat Pack very satisfying, that's after owning two SRT vehicles before it. It's easy to sit on the sidelines owning this car and watch the automakers go into ludicrous speed developing super great car after super great car. Us lovers of horsepower will have no shortage of hot rods to drive for the next couple decades at least!

Yep, after living through the original muscle car 1.0, and then decades of "why we can't", it's great to see what's going on now.

We're all lucky dogs

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
If I had a bigger paycheck, I'd rather modify my 6.4L and leave it NA.

I'd be happy if I could get ~500whp.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts