Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hello, so ive had my WB Scat Pack for a while now and it has just under 1900miles - ever since i started checking the engine oil after getting gas ive grown exceedingly paranoid. The damned dipstick is so retarded i cant even.. it has a very dull mesh pattern where it says "SAFE" inside. At the bottom of the pattern there is an arrow pointing up and the letters "ADD". Ever since i started checking the oil, (5min after shutoff on level surface) its extremely hard to tell where the oil level is at accurately. Like i seriously need to squint my eyes and angle the dipstick to be able to tell anything at all.

https://imgur.com/kTAyQXU
Here is a picture the first time i checked it. Yellow arrow shows it within the SAFE area.
However, after that every time i have checked, the oil has been at the blue mark, just above the ADD arrow, and then when i tilt and angle the dipstick i can see faintly oil where i marked with the RED line. Rest of the dipstick is dry. What gives? Oil life is at 70ish %

What are your experiences owning these cars? Have you guys/gals needed to add oil before the first oil change? Note that i just drive it to work and back, occasionally cruise around and drive it a bit harder on saturdays and sundays... nothing that would call for more oil at this mileage..
You're not alone my friend! That dipstick earned its name "dipstick." I hate that thing as well. The first time I changed oil I could hardly tell where the oil level was and after checking it twice, it would still read over the full mark. I thought it was something wrong with the dipstick or the owner's manual was a misprint for the oil specs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks for all the contributors, glad to see I'm not the only experienced car guy that has trouble checking oil level in their MOPAR's. Both the 5.7 Ram and the 6.4 Scat Pack are difficult. Many factors appear to contribute to the difficulty including oil temperature, length of time engine has been off, incline where vehicle is parked (even an almost unnoticeable incline appears to have a significant affect), poor visibility of dipstick, etc.

Last oil change on the Scat Pack was the first I did myself, previous changes were complimentary from the dealer, the oil level on the dipstick appeared to be approximately 1/2 quart over full after dealer oil changes. Last oil change on both vehicles the oil was allowed to drain for an extended period, don't recall exactly how long but it was over an hour. When refilled with 7 quarts the Scat Pack dipstick appeared to indicate approximately 1/2 quart over full while the Ram appeared to indicate approximately 1/2 quart under full. Both dipsticks were scored with a line indicating level after oil change.

I'm now mostly convinced the largest source of oil usage is (wait for it) checking the oil as it takes many dips to get a confident reading.

Slightly off topic, the Ram does appear to have an oil consumption issue but only with O'reilly store brand fully synthetic oil. Ram now has 160k on the clock. On a recent 900 mile trip 2 quarts disappeared. They were replaced with a similar Pennzoil product, there was no oil usage on the return trip. Under normal driving the Ram uses between 1/2 and 1 quart of the O'reilly oil in 3k miles. Fortunately the stash of that oil has been used and the Ram is using little if any Pennzoil. In any case the difficult to read dipstick made it even more difficult to understand an already confusing situation.

·
Registered
251 Posts
FWIW:

CRANKCASE OIL LEVEL INSPECTION

CAUTION:
Do not overfill crankcase with engine oil, pressure loss or oil foaming can result.

Unless the engine has exhibited loss of oil pressure, run the engine for about ten minutes before checking oil level. Checking engine oil level on a cold engine is not accurate.
To ensure proper lubrication of an engine, the engine oil must be maintained at an acceptable level. The acceptable levels are indicated between the ADD and SAFE marks on the engine oil dipstick.
It is recommended that the engine oil level should be checked when the engine is at operating temperature.
Position vehicle on level surface.
With engine OFF, allow approximately five minutes for oil to settle to bottom of crankcase, remove engine oil dipstick.
Wipe dipstick clean.
Install dipstick and verify it is seated in the tube.
Remove dipstick, with handle held above the tip, take oil level reading.
Verify the oil level to be at the top of the "SAFE" range +/- 1/4 of the total distance of the range.

Add oil only if level is below the ADD mark on dipstick.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for all the contributors, glad to see I'm not the only experienced car guy that has trouble checking oil level in their MOPAR's. Both the 5.7 Ram and the 6.4 Scat Pack are difficult. Many factors appear to contribute to the difficulty including oil temperature, length of time engine has been off, incline where vehicle is parked (even an almost unnoticeable incline appears to have a significant affect), poor visibility of dipstick, etc.

Last oil change on the Scat Pack was the first I did myself, previous changes were complimentary from the dealer, the oil level on the dipstick appeared to be approximately 1/2 quart over full after dealer oil changes. Last oil change on both vehicles the oil was allowed to drain for an extended period, don't recall exactly how long but it was over an hour. When refilled with 7 quarts the Scat Pack dipstick appeared to indicate approximately 1/2 quart over full while the Ram appeared to indicate approximately 1/2 quart under full. Both dipsticks were scored with a line indicating level after oil change.

I'm now mostly convinced the largest source of oil usage is (wait for it) checking the oil as it takes many dips to get a confident reading.

Slightly off topic, the Ram does appear to have an oil consumption issue but only with O'reilly store brand fully synthetic oil. Ram now has 160k on the clock. On a recent 900 mile trip 2 quarts disappeared. They were replaced with a similar Pennzoil product, there was no oil usage on the return trip. Under normal driving the Ram uses between 1/2 and 1 quart of the O'reilly oil in 3k miles. Fortunately the stash of that oil has been used and the Ram is using little if any Pennzoil. In any case the difficult to read dipstick made it even more difficult to understand an already confusing situation.
Very well said, I have never seen any oil usage in my newer vehicles.
I thought I wanted the eco-diesel Ram until I went and looked at a used one and the seller told me he had to top off the oil occasionally.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've only seen a couple of dipsticks that read right in 50'ish years that I've been playing with cars. When I get a new car to me, the first oil change I always leave 1qt low. Start it up, check for leaks, put stuff away etc. At least 10 mins later I check the oil. I mark in my book where 1 qt low is on the dipstick. Add 1 qt, now its got the correct amount of oil in it. I mark where "full" is. I check the oil cold after it sits all night. It's thicker, you can see it easier. I've rebuilt engines before and never seen a oil reading be different after it was put together and the oil changed. Yes there is some oil left over but not enough for me to put less oil in this current oil change.
If you take a white paper towel, fold it over and lay it flat on a table etc. Lay the dipstick flat on it, you will see exactly where the oil line is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Haha, with all this dipping and wiping, i will end up wasting more oil than the engine does!
I might check the oil level in the mornings also, just to compare how it is vs warm oil. But wow, alot of good and informative answers and good to know others are experiencing the same with this dipstick.
I see some of you have never had to add oil, id still like to hear from more of you if you have had to add a bit of oil in between regular oil changes (with mostly normal-ish driving, no track usage) - So far im at ~66% Oil life.

·
Registered
375 Posts
so take a dremel or a etcher and make two marks, as long as the oil is between those lines, you're golden......and for those that mention, putting the specified amount of oil in, it reads over full, well I certainly hope you're not putting less in to reach the full mark you put the factory recommended amount, if it puts it over the full mark, take a picture for future reference, that's your full level, this isn't rocket science

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I feel weird that I don't find it too hard to check my oil?

I do 6.6 quart oil changes so the dipstick is actually useful though too. The SRT engineers have said in their chats to trust your dipstick, so this notion of marking it yourself isn't necessarily something I agree with.

I don't check it very often though because as others have noted, my car hardly uses any oil between changes, like almost zero...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Another tip, pull, wipe, (and wipe the whole stick including o-ring and handle, so it doesn't get nasty and you mess up your hands next time)
then insert, and pull out leaving the tip in (yes, I know, that's what she said)
and read the stick then drop it back in, easier/quicker than a full pull, look pro. Back in the day, I worked pumping gas with full serve, check oil, batteries, brake fluid, tires, sometimes coolant. All during the fillup and required front and rear window cleaning, with cars waiting in line. Every second counted.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 392's dipstick is the same way. My previous 5.7 was almost as bad.

One observation on both, you will get a different reading on each side of the stick.

Several years back in a SRT Chat Session, the engineers commented that the Hemi can safely run on 6 to 8 quarts of oil. The factory states to put in 7 with a filter change.

That's what I've always done with no issues, other than that damn sticks reading.

I seem to get the best (?) reading after the car has set all night and is "cold". It still reads over/ high, but stays there between changes.

I'll keep putting in 7 at oil/filter changes and call it good.
Same here John. I saw that post and had seen some stuff on YouTube as well. I thought it would best to go according to the OM with 7 quarts with the filter so if a warranty issue came up, the dealer couldn't give me any grief over the oil level.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have no problem with the dipstick at all. Unlike the "cranky" one in my old car, which had to be turned slightly to get it to go in all the way. Same thing on my '08 Charger's 5.7. I have no trouble at all reading it as long as it's daylight out. I check it cold or hot when I get gas, it only changes a little bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
definitely check when car is cold. all fluids expand with heat meaning you wont get an accurate reading when its hot. And yes you'll have to dip and whip the dipstick 2-3 times to get the best reading. as far as running low oil between 5,000 mile oil changes you should never really be in the unsafe zone maybe on the lower end depending on how hard/aggressive you drive but for the most part your oil should stay in the safe zone between your oil changes. just watch any oli catch can video and youll see how much oil they catch when you drive around not to mention when you drive it hard just between 5,000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Man, the dipstick on my '19 Scat Pack drives me nuts. I have to turn it edgeways and use reading glasses to see it. I even had my neighbor pull it and read it with a magnifying glass. The 'Safe' spot on the stick is only about a half to five eights of an inch long and, too me, barely visible. I thought very seriously about taking my little engraving tool to make the lines more visible. It's a little jewelers engraver I use on models and such. Haven't had enough nerve to do that yet though.

I check it almost every time I start it and shut it off, and have been getting very close to the same reading after waiting ten or fifteen minutes after shutting it off. The good news is, after a little over 2 thou, it hasn't moved. She hasn't used a drop of oil from what I can see, but I haven't run it up over 5 grand but a few times. I'm slowly getting to know her, truth be known I've never owned anything with this much hp.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Unless you just get crazy with the engraving, I don't see how you could hurt it. It's not like it is a stressed part or anything. I don't have any problems with the dipstick, but after a year I don't worry much about the oil. I check it about once a month when I empty out the catch can. I haven't even seen the oil level go down, and the catch can has maybe fully filled one time if I added up all the oil I got out of it for the year The first time I emptied it would count for over half of what I got out of it so far.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gentlemen, & ladies, be very happy you have a 'real' dipstick in and up to 2019 models.
My 2016 Jeep with Pentastar, has the cable type dipstick, with the little 'dingle' on the end. They must have got that idea from Volkswagen. I had a beetle with that type. I hope the 'dingle never comes off in the motor:oops:

We also have a 2017 Mini Cooper Countryman. No dipstick. It uses the BMW internal sensors to measure level of oil and pressure. Its a BMW 2.0 turbo engine. Runs good, but very annoying there is no dipstick. You maybe able to cobble together one from parts of a 2016 BMW X3, but I glaze over when they start arguing over parts on the Bimmer-world forum, and life's to short to argue with horse's (beep) .

The Mini has no spare tire either but is equipped with run-flats. More annoying. I digress,

I wouldn't be aggravated with Mini, if it allowed you to choose and display various 'widgets' (items) to display like oil temp & oil pressure, like our Challengers do. Our Challengers are very well equipped with technology.
Our Mini really comes up short on technology compared to the Challenger. If they ever send me a survey from Mini asking what they could do to improve the product , -> WIDGETS ! and then say, Dipsticks : )

I like the real dipstick, in the Challenger, and count it a blessing everyday (y)
Because there is worse out there,,

The flat repair kit, eh not so much, better than nothing !
Have a good one !

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Gentlemen, & ladies, be very happy you have a 'real' dipstick in and up to 2019 models.
My 2016 Jeep with Pentastar, has the cable type dipstick, with the little 'dingle' on the end. They must have got that idea from Volkswagen. I had a beetle with that type. I hope the 'dingle never comes off in the motor:oops:

We also have a 2017 Mini Cooper Countryman. No dipstick. It uses the BMW internal sensors to measure level of oil and pressure. Its a BMW 2.0 turbo engine. Runs good, but very annoying there is no dipstick. You maybe able to cobble together one from parts of a 2016 BMW X3, but I glaze over when they start arguing over parts on the Bimmer-world forum, and life's to short to argue with horse's (beep) .

The Mini has no spare tire either but is equipped with run-flats. More annoying. I digress,

I wouldn't be aggravated with Mini, if it allowed you to choose and display various 'widgets' (items) to display like oil temp & oil pressure, like our Challengers do. Our Challengers are very well equipped with technology.
Our Mini really comes up short on technology compared to the Challenger. If they ever send me a survey from Mini asking what they could do to improve the product , -> WIDGETS ! and then say, Dipsticks : )

I like the real dipstick, in the Challenger, and count it a blessing everyday (y)
Because there is worse out there,,

The flat repair kit, eh not so much, better than nothing !
Have a good one !
My Hellcat has the "dingle" on the end of a cable. Hate it.

My 2018 Mini JCW has no dipstick. To check the oil requires the engine be idling, up to temperature, and takes a minute with the engine idle slightly elevated. Believe it or not I really like this. Both my Porsche 996 Turbo and Boxster had a way to check the oil level from inside the car. The Boxster had a dipstick and I only used after changing the oil mainly because it was "there" but the Turbo had no dipstick. When changing the Turbo oil I counted the empty bottles. Twice.

Also, the Turbo having a dry sump oil system required the engine be up to temperature, idling, and the car reasonably level. The check didn't take 60 seconds though more like 5 seconds.

To have to get out and check the oil level in my Hellcat via that God awful dipstick/cable... Geesh what an outdated system.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My Hellcat has the "dingle" on the end of a cable. Hate it.

My 2018 Mini JCW has no dipstick. To check the oil requires the engine be idling, up to temperature, and takes a minute with the engine idle slightly elevated. Believe it or not I really like this. Both my Porsche 996 Turbo and Boxster had a way to check the oil level from inside the car. The Boxster had a dipstick and I only used after changing the oil mainly because it was "there" but the Turbo had no dipstick. When changing the Turbo oil I counted the empty bottles. Twice.

Also, the Turbo having a dry sump oil system required the engine be up to temperature, idling, and the car reasonably level. The check didn't take 60 seconds though more like 5 seconds.

To have to get out and check the oil level in my Hellcat via that God awful dipstick/cable... Geesh what an outdated system.
Yeah that's it exactly for the Mini, Rockster! I'm not comfortable with the non-dipstick. I don't trust technology as easily.
That is the process, level ground, engine warmed up, the little 'bar' advance across the LCD screen and 'voila' oil is checked. ( or is it?) :alien:
For the Mini, it would be cool if I could trust the electronics but verify : )
I also count the empty plastic oil bottles twice ! (maybe three times as I carry out to the shed to completely drain! ) LOL
That's weird the Hellcat doesn't get the 'real' dipstick ? 🤔

I tell you , the dipstick on my Dodge Ram w/ CTD, that one is as long as your leg ! Its easy to see, the oil is black as coal if you run the engine any time after an oil change !

Have a good one,
👍

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yeah that's it exactly for the Mini, Rockster! I'm not comfortable with the non-dipstick. I don't trust technology as easily.
That is the process, level ground, engine warmed up, the little 'bar' advance across the LCD screen and 'voila' oil is checked. ( or is it?) :alien:
For the Mini, it would be cool if I could trust the electronics but verify : )
I also count the empty plastic oil bottles twice ! (maybe three times as I carry out to the shed to completely drain! ) LOL
That's weird the Hellcat doesn't get the 'real' dipstick ? 🤔

I tell you , the dipstick on my Dodge Ram w/ CTD, that one is as long as your leg ! Its easy to see, the oil is black as coal if you run the engine any time after an oil change !

Have a good one,
👍
As with the Porsche cars, same with the Mini. The electronic oil level system is checked as part of the oil change process.

The way this works, supposed to work, but many DIYers didn't do it right, is with the engine up to temperature drain the oil. For Porsche the oil drain time was for my two cars 20 minutes. But the newer DFI engines require a one hour drain.

After the correct drain interval then the tech added to correct amount of oil to the engine. The correct amount was not necessarily the publicized amount -- in the owners manual -- but was tied to the car's VIN. (This was to note a change in a component -- say with the Turbo a change in the oil tank with the new tank having a change in shape and volume -- which required the 1st car and all subsequent cars to have a "custom" oil refill amount noted.)

I might also note the oil nozzle in the service bay displayed the amount of oil dispensed to 0.01 liters so if the oil refill amount was 8.25l the could add 8.25l of oil and know it from the nozzle reading.

After the specified amount of oil was added to the engine the engine was started and an oil level check made. Starting with a hot engine this didn't take hardly any time. Then the tech would check the oil level via the electronic oil level system and confirm its reading agreed with the known and correct amount of oil in the engine.

DIYers would use the electronic system to "measure" the oil to determine when the engine had the "right" amount of oil in it, and that's risky.

The black as coal dipstick is normal.

My 2002 VW Golf TDi had an oil dipstick and while it wasn't very long it too was black as coal even right after an oil change. Diesel engines really load the oil with soot and an oil change leaves enough residual oil in the engine that the fresh oil is discolored right away. Didn't seem to have any negative effect. That 1.9l engine ran as strong at 150K miles as it did a 5K miles. The engine felt indestructible.

·
Super Moderator
12,563 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's just proof to me that dipsticks aren't as accurate as one would think. Manual says 7qts with filter. Change oil add "6" qts. Start it, let it sit 10 mins. See where 1 qt low is exactly now. Mark it. Add 1 qt. Let sit. See where full is. Done.
I find it odd that people say "Go by the manual"........unless it doesn't suit their needs. Once I change oil/oil filter on a vehicle and know where the 1qt low/full marks are, and get used to the engine needing or NOT needing oil, I hardly ever check it. Never had a problem.
Note: If you take some 00 steel wool and scruff up the dipstick it makes it a whole lot easier to read!!!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
26 Participants
Solidman
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing