Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I know this is going to be a dumb question to most of you guys.... But looking at a 6.4L V8 Scat Pack vs an RT 5.7L V8. As far as the motor goes, what is going to be the main difference when it comes to performance? Is acceleration going to be that different? Is the 6.4L only going to have a higher top speed? What can you guys teach the newbie? Haha

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Google is your friend, I bet you can even find exact specs side by side.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why I am asking... I know that the 6.4L has more horses, but I don't know enough about cars to know how much difference I am going to feel with about 100 horsepower.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Perhaps go test drive the two? I can tell you a lot but it doesnt mean anything until you feel it.

A 6.4 will accelerate somewhat faster than the 5.7 because the power/torque curves are not the same but its not like you will feel all 100 more hp right from a dead stop and mashing the gas. Dont get me wrong, the 6.4 is NOTICEABLY "faster" and more aggressive feeling. The 6.4 will be able to "achieve" a higher top speed than the 5.7 simply because of the extra power but it depends on the exact combination of components that will determine the top speed.

I would not care about top speed when making my decision. Chances are you will never see it and if you are crazy enough to try and succeed, its honestly not that exciting, in my opinion.

Reactions: RATCHET

·
Registered
77 Posts
No expert here, I have to say in the experience of driving both engines in same year Challengers. The 6.4, sat you back in the seat more. Tires spun quicker and would have been fun to own. The 5.7 does it well too, I love this motor. Either engine is a ton of fun to drive. I couldn't afford the SRT.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Something to think about other than speed is comfort. IMO I would rather have a loaded R/T than a stripped Scat Pack for the same money. If you are comparing the 2 and they are close in price, the R/T is going to be nicer in my opinion than a stripped Scat. I gave the same advice to a gentleman on here comparing an SXT to an R/T. Loaded SXT better than a stripped R/T IMO.
FWIW I have an R/T plus... 5.7l

·
Registered
111 Posts
Stripped 6.4 over loaded 5.7. Rings and bells can be added over the time when budget allows. Also stripped scatpack is decently equipped over stripped 5.7 if you don't care about heated and vented seats.
Lot of left over 2016 and 2017 out there.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I've owned a 5.7L R/T, 6.4L Scat and now 6.2L Hellcat all with 6spd manuals.

I don't care much for bells and whistles but the Scat pack is very well equipped in my opinion unless you want the high end leather heated / cooled seats. Power difference between the 5.7 and 6.4 is huge in my opinion. 6.4 and 6.2 is huge as well but in a wow that impressive to wow that's really impressive kind of way.

The power of the 5.7 is a yeah that's okay compared to a wow that's impressive in my opinion when comparing to the 6.4L.

If you're at all into the drag strip the 6.4 is typically in a fun competitive area to its competition ... the 5.7 not so much.

If you just want a comfy cool cruiser with power that is typical by today's standards I think the 5.7 is a great car.

Like several have said - it's all about what you want to do with it and what's important to you ! No matter what you pick it'll be a good choice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: PSM450

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I owned a 2010 R/T 6 speed manual and now own a 2015 Scat Pack 8 speed automatic. Heres my take:

The 5.7L has plenty of power, it sounds awesome, has great low end and feels strong around town, and will run 13's all day long and break into the 12's with some mods. It gets pretty good gas mileage considering it's a V8. I think it's a great all around engine. Perfect for cruising around and having some fun.

The 6.4L has TONS of power, it sounds awesome, has awesome low end and pulls like a freight train right up to 6000-6200RPM when it shifts, will run 12's all day long in stock form, and will break into the 11's with some basic mods. It gets noticeably worse gas mileage than the 5.7L. This engine is a real monster, especially when tuned. On the stock tires this car can get away from you if you're not careful. I drive around most of the time with 20" drag radials on the back so I can actually hook up and not get sideways.

If you're not really after 1/4 mile times and speed, then the loaded 5.7L might be the way to go. If you think you'll race the car some and like performance and power, then get the stripped down 6.4L You really need to test drive both to see how it feels to you though.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My personal take:

Go with the biggest engine you can afford COMFORTABLY. Consider increased fuel consumption of the 6.4L (lower range for that matter), higher cost of the vehicle (cash or monthly payments), and higher insurance cost and then make a decision that you feel comfortable with.

just my $.02 ;)

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
My personal take:

Go with the biggest engine you can afford COMFORTABLY. Consider increased fuel consumption of the 6.4L (lower range for that matter), higher cost of the vehicle (cash or monthly payments), and higher insurance cost and then make a decision that you feel comfortable with.

just my $.02 ;)
Yep, worth it! >:)

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
The OP's question made me wonder what if any weight difference there is between the two? As far as I am aware they are physically the same size so I would imagine a weight difference would be negligible... but if the 5.7 were lighter it would therefore handle better which could negate a power difference in some circumstances bringing us back to the question; What is your overall intended use for your car.

I chose the 6.4 because this will be my last "enthusiast" car and I could afford what I desired (SRT), even if I don't use the full potential of the engine I like that it can do the same job as any other engine, just with a lot less effort!

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
The OP's question made me wonder what if any weight difference there is between the two? As far as I am aware they are physically the same size so I would imagine a weight difference would be negligible.
Only about 40 lbs, the 5.7L car about 4200 lbs published curb weight and the Scat Pack about 4240.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
I love ice cream. It makes me smile.
And a sundae with all the bells and whistles: oh yeah.
But when you add none other than hot fudge or brownies to it
You can hear angels sing with every bite.

I'd be happy with just the ice cream.
But I decided that just this once,
I'd spring for the hot fudge.

You'll never know
If the difference is worth the dollars
Until you taste and see.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sorry, I know this is going to be a dumb question to most of you guys.... But looking at a 6.4L V8 Scat Pack vs an RT 5.7L V8. As far as the motor goes, what is going to be the main difference when it comes to performance? Is acceleration going to be that different? Is the 6.4L only going to have a higher top speed? What can you guys teach the newbie? Haha
There's a lot of good advice and wisdom in the other responses especially "drive both and see for yourself how it feels". I would suggest that you also consider a loaded V6. You may find that it satisfies your needs and it will be much less expensive to buy initially and less expensive to own and operate. I have a '16 SRT 392 6M and a Jeep GC with the 5.7l. The SRT is a beast, not my daily driver and it burns premium gas (read expensive gas). The Jeep 5.7l burns mid-grade gas to avoid spark knock and is very impressive in a 2 1/2 ton vehicle but no where near the snap you get from the 6.4l.
So in the end analysis, it's your choice and you really can't go wrong with any of these.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I don't know about the 5.7L but the 6.4L is a good engine...that said, I never get these comments about how it makes TONS of power or will flatten your eyeballs etc. I find it to be a fairly typical 'modern' engine. Which is to say it will make good power and the car goes fast once it revs up. But not an especially torquey engine and not gonna frighten the socks off ya.

My dream challenger? 1000lbs less weight and gobs of just-cracked-open-throttle response.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,067 Posts
I had a 2010 R/T and now have a 2014 SRT, so I've owned and driven both the 5.7 and 392 versions extensively. My conclusion is if it's in the budget I'd go for the 392 Hemi, as far as performance goes you are looking at about a second in the quarter mile difference, which in drag racing terms is significant. Now if hard accelerating performance isn't that important to you then it wouldn't probably be worth it, but for me it was definitely the right way to go. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2015 R/T
520 Posts
I test drove both and in the end I went with the 5.7 mainly because I'm not going to drag race it at a track and the 5.7 makes for a great cruiser drive both and then decide either way your making a great choice in the car. Also I might add go with Torred it's a great color on the Challenger but I'm biased.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 156 Posts