Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the next 4 months I will be starting to buy my parts to put a 671 on my 5.7 challenger. I'm starting at the manifold and building up. Would like input from more experienced like minded people.
This is my parts list so far
Indy ModMan Intake Manifold,
Dyers 6-71& custom Drive Kit with ATI to Blower adapter,
ATI Balancer/Serpentine Pulley,
Hydrolic Camshaft,
6-71 E.F.I. total Blower System,
DUI Ignition System,
Colder Spark Plugs,
Forged drop in Internals/crakshaft,
Blower Camshaft/ low duration,

What all am I missing or do I have parts listed I wont need. I realize not many ppl do this type of setup but any input would be welcome. Also I have 9.6.1 compresion kn my 5.7 engine should I stay under 4psi to keep it around 12.1? I ask because turbos are normally ran higher that this. I do realize they are two different beasts but thought the compresion ratios would have to stay the same?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also must list this wont be a drag racer just my street machine with a little extra umph and a lot more style!

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
You're not making a lot of sense in your direction. Why use a blower with only 4PSI? If you have EFI, why would use you a Davis ignition (which I wouldn't use on anything anyway)? Any new 'forged internals' won't be 'drop in'.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mention 4 psi because weiand states that you shouldn't run over 12.1 on their compresion ratio charts. And I'm not sure lol I'm pretty new to this supercharger scene and still trying to figure everything out. I'm still learning a lot. That's why I have came here looking for help and input on this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also do realize the forged internals wont be drop in parts. But that's a precautionary measure I have been suggested to take when doing this type of a setup.

·
Registered
582 Posts
WHAT ARE YOU MISSING ?....so much I don't where to start.. The cars PCM,BCM,TCM all talk to each other.. with what you propose they will no longer have info from the engine among other things.. . what's your plan for that ? disable all and rewire the car ? what about ABS ,TPMS, Air bags ? all required by law.. hire an automotive engineer maybe ? no offense intended... you're having a fantasy and not thinking clearly.. put a modern supercharger on it like normal people do..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not looked into the wiring of this whole ordeal nor have I got that far in my plans. I have read and kept up with others that have done builds almost exactly like the one I will most likely be attempting on new generation vehicles and successfully pulling them off. I have also read the comments from those builds of ppl shooting down the build from the get go like you are on my post. So no I'm not offended at all, i expected that. But how about some help, constructive advice! I have been talking to other people from indys and dyers so far all have said with a couple of custom parts this is all possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Besides a great tune (wich isn't wiring) I wasn't aware that you had to change any wiring except to deal with maybe the efi setup for any supercharger turbo procharger ect....

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,811 Posts
I don't know much about the 5.7 l Hemi, but for the 392 Hemi, they are drop-ins. They require no boring or honing or re-balancing. That's why they call them drop-ins.

I think what the Guys were talking about, is that you lose quite a few sensors. Where would your IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor go? Where would your throttle body be? Where is your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) mounted?

Without all of these things, your EFI setup won't work, especially since you have to go with a SD (speed density setup since there is no place for a MAF sensor).

If you're going to run a pair of Holley Snipers or a twin FAST setup or something like that in place of the carbs, then Please disregard my questions.

Unless you're going to stroke the motor, changing the crank probably won't be necessary because they're plenty strong from the factory, especially with the low amount of boost that you're going to be running. If anything, pistons for sure, and probably rods too since you're in the motor already, but at the power level that you're looking at, I don't think that the crank would be necessary.

I'm looking forward to seeing you do this because I've never seen it done on an EFI Challenger!

Good Luck and Please keep us posted. :cheers:

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
You can run more boost, you can run it up to 10 psi, the 6-71 does a pretty good job making power up to this point (10 lbs of boost) without an intercooler. get beyond 10 lbs then the heat of the case starts to really come into play. typically you can run up to 8lbs of boost on a single keyway on the balancer, after 8lbs of boost should really double key the crank/balancer. Don't worry to much about the boost level run what ever up to 10 lbs of boost and double key the crank, with the computer controls and fuel injection, the tune will be adjusted for total timing, I would imagine you will have around 15 degrees of total timing running this much boost (10 lbs) total timing will go up if you bring down boost.

It's best to run low compression like 7.5 to 8.0 to 1 when boosting, but look at todays cars, I boosted my v6 challenger with 15 lbs of boost and the compression ratio in a 3.6 is something like 10 - 11 to 1, not the best way to boost an engine, but it's done now all the time with the new cars. So my total timing was around 18 degrees at best at times it was knocked down to 8 or so at worse if the engine heard knock, so the computer adjusted the total timing as needed.

Car will be awesome looking with a 6-71 sticking out of the hood, you won't make killer power, but you will have a nice gain in power, even with high compression and 10 lbs of boost. As far as boosting an engine I can't think of a way that would be even less efficient than using a 6-71, the 6-71 will work, it uses more power to turn, it's pretty inefficient, you would make more power boosting with one of the newer after market kits for your car, you will probably spend twice the money for half the power gain.

I did a low budget blower build from scratch and I spent 3k on all the parts and I already had two carbs and an ignition system and this was on an older car with no electronics on a big block chevy.

Installing the blower on your car will be the easy part, getting all the proper computer controls installed and getting them to talk to each other I think will be the hard part and getting the tuned dialed in. Maybe look at some of the ready made kits that are on the market for your car and see what sensors they are using and find a way to get them mounted in your car in the proper places.

Keep us posted of this adventure and show us pictures too I think it will look awesome.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Why in the world would you put a dinosaur on your Challenger? Anyone who knows anything about the car would know you were not making the power a modern blower would have made...for less money. Buy the correct blower kit for your motor. It works. If all you want is a blower sticking out of the hood, who are you doing it for?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes they are "drop in" pistons on the 5.7 also but you still have to go into the engine and I would also do the rods if I had the pistons done. But for the efi setup. I'm not to sure about the IAT, I take air temperature sensor. But for the throttle position sensor, and the MAP/MAF sensor, I have found two products on Alkydiggers.com here they are, let me know what you think.

https://www.alkydigger.net/proddetail.php?prod=EFIConvkit-Blown

And

https://www.alkydigger.net/proddetail.php?prod=EFI-BUG-KIT

Do you the the throttlebody/carb setup would be easier to pull off?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking running more boost would be possible, but I want it to last a while and don't want to wear it down to fast. And the fact ppl typically run higher compressions with new blowers had me double thinking that maybe there was a big difference in doing that between the two? I know this would be the least effective way to make boost out of all the options now a days. I guess I'm going through a phase in my life where I want to fulfill a couple of childhood dreams haha. I was looking at procharger today they advertise like 160 hp 110 tq gains to the wheels after install. Do you know if that is something that would be easily accomplished with the 6-71 ? And I have been doing a lot of searching for parts, I believe I have found some sensors but if they will work that's the part I get lost in at times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The reason why is like I stated above, more of a childhood dream so its definitely more for me than anyone else. And I don't want real big power just trying to see how well this would work out. If I could get an extra 130 hp tq to the wheels i would be happy. And it would look awesome here's a couple of modern day vehicles with old school superchargers. Not mine just inspiration.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
It's your car. There is no practical reason to put that type of blower on anything not on a drag strip, and even then it should be huffing nitro or alcohol. Unless of course it's an older motor and car design not covered by the newer blowers and EFI setups.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not for the drag strip, just strictly a street car for my pleasure and enjoyment. Like I said before nothing real heavy duty, but a nos setup on it later down the road would be fun, but that's really not for street cars is it lol.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The first challenger you posted is Cult Motorsports challenger build. That is not built on the 5.7, instead, a built 440.

However, I do want to follow this build. I give you props if you can reasonably pull it off.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I was thinking running more boost would be possible, but I want it to last a while and don't want to wear it down to fast. And the fact ppl typically run higher compressions with new blowers had me double thinking that maybe there was a big difference in doing that between the two? I know this would be the least effective way to make boost out of all the options now a days. I guess I'm going through a phase in my life where I want to fulfill a couple of childhood dreams haha. I was looking at procharger today they advertise like 160 hp 110 tq gains to the wheels after install. Do you know if that is something that would be easily accomplished with the 6-71 ? And I have been doing a lot of searching for parts, I believe I have found some sensors but if they will work that's the part I get lost in at times.

Your first couple lbs of boost is lost to turning the blower and as the blower is turned harder more is lost, just to kind to give you an idea, 3 or 4 lbs of boost would get you about 60 hp and about the same in torque, the bottom end will really wake up. You will notice a difference even with 3 or 4 lbs of boost, it will be there. I did this at first on my 6-71 build, just went with some low boost numbers at first to make sure all was good and it really did make a difference in power, so after that you can turn up the boost just changing the pulley/pulleys. Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Glad to know it's not a crazy idea to start low on boost and work my way up with it. What kind of numbers are you running on your build, hp and torque wise and engine? So it seems it's possible to be able to get up to the 480- 500 hp range with the set up I'm wanting to do with the 6-71?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts