Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been noticing on occasion that under my tach that 6 boxes will appear. The 4 boxes on the left are always just empty boxes. The 2 boxes on the right however will display the numbers 3 and 9. What the hell is my baby trying to tell me! It does not have EVIC. Enlightenment please! Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Those are the boxes used for automatic cars; P - R - D (which don't light up on six speed cars). If you look at them in certain light, you can see which letter. I believe the 39 is lit (last two digits) when the computer senses a voltage drop. If the computer didn't light the MIL, then don't worry.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only time that they display is immediately upon start up and then for only a second or two. How can there be a voltage drop at this point? I'm confused. :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
The only time that they display is immediately upon start up and then for only a second or two. How can there be a voltage drop at this point? I'm confused. :scratchhead:
If the other poster is correct about these numbers indicating low voltage.
That would explain why you will see it upon startup.

Starting any vehicle takes a lot of current. This is what the battery stores. Upon starting your vehicle a lot of current is pulled from the battery, this causes a dip in voltage available until the alternator can start replenishing the battery. So you will see this indication.
Older vehicles used to have a red light that would come on under the same condition, flicker at startup.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It does not display every time I start the car. It is random, only once maybe in seven to ten starts average and only when it is first started, cold. It always cranks fine, no problem.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Checked with the Dealer

It does not display every time I start the car. It is random, only once maybe in seven to ten starts average and only when it is first started, cold. It always cranks fine, no problem.
FYI, Mine has done this several times. The post about low voltage makes sense since at the same time my outside temp display will reset to the full odometer. I checked with the dealership and, of course, got the same old "we've never seen that before" line. However, he contacted Chrysler engineers and they told him that "We've seen this concern, replace the instrument cluster". Dealer wants to schedule that but I'm not sure I want them tearing into the dash especially if it does not go beyond an occasional annoyance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts