Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so you’re all going to think I have mental issues but.... has anyone swapped out the factory 5 lug x 144.3 to a 6 lug 114.3.

I have a 2012 Srt8 Challenger.
Stroked to 427, Apache heads, KB 3.6LC, DSS 9” conversion and a bunch of other stuff. Once I get it to run right (having some tuning issues) I’ll be doing a direct injection meth system from alky controls. Right now Making a little over 1k @ the wheels.

I have a set of 08 viper wheels and tires I’m want to put on my car. Before you say it, I know the rears won’t fit as is. I’m bringing car to chassis shop that did my cage. I’m going to cut until they do fit.

What I’m trying to find out is, if I buy a set of viper wheel hubs, will they bolt up to my spindle knuckles. I will get Someone to make me half shaft stubs with the correct spline if they’re different. I think factory spline on the 08 viper was 28? Or am I going to be machining my own custom wheel hubs...

Any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
To my knowledge no. The viper had 6 lugs because Chrysler went to the Dakota parts bin for hubs.
Sounds like a lot of work and $$ to bolt up some Viper wheels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, its not so much that they are viper wheels and i want to use them because of that, I want to put big sneakers on the rear no matter what lug pattern i have. I'm cutting it apart. I want to fit a 335/30 in the rear. I just figured since i have the viper wheels and tires it would be cheaper for hubs and half shafts then new wheels and tires... I'm gonna buy a challenger and viper wheel hub to compare and see what i can make work.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us posted. The older Vipers derived many of it's suspension parts from the Dakota parts bin, as was mentioned above. I've built and continue to build Dakotas. Wish I had answers but most of us try to get away from the 6 lug pattern as there aren't many wheel options out there in that configuration.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
I actually went the opposite way on my buddies dakota, it was not a cheap endeavor. The new rear axles and custom machined front hubs. The swap ultimately cost over $1200. My recommendation is to buy wheels for the car, not make car fit the wheels you have.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
Same here - for the $$$, just get Viper replicas in the correct 5 x 115mm bolt circle for the width you want and the offset for the proper fit.

You're going to need to add flares / modify bodywork as you can only go so far inward. The rear cradle mounting points won't allow "tubbing" like the old cars, as those mounting points are on the inboard side of the wheel well.

Like others mentioned, Chrysler didn't have anything at the time with that kind of torque / hp in the days when the Viper came along, so they raided the Dakota parts bin for the hubs and designed wheels around that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts