Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure where to look for this info maybe someone could direct me in the right direction, here’s my issue…I’ve got a 2016 SRT 392 I bought the car used 3 years ago no problems at all until this.
My brakes were making noise and causing vibrations when braking so put it on the lift and saw the rotors were worn bad! So got some DBA rings and new pads, switched over the hats all that went well but when I went to reinstall the rotors and new pads calipers wouldn’t fit. Looked closer just thinking the pistons in the calipers weren’t retracted which they weren’t but the issue is they are mushroomed and deff not going back in now that they’re out. Looking for new calipers are stupid expensive and the housings aren’t damaged just the pistons on the inner side of the caliper.

So knowing all that I’m thinking of trying to do a rebuild kit with pistons but I can’t find any that match my year. I have the 6-piston Brembo. I may not be looking in the right place or what but I mostly just find dust covers and the O-rings. There is one kit I have found, but it seems misleading, the listing is for 2016+ SRT 392/Hellcat but once clicked the years change and I’m not sure if they’re the same or not.

Any help, info or better ideas would be greatly appreciated! I’m down my daily and need to get it back up asap. I have never done a rebuild like this so if someone could direct me to a good how to or something that would be awesome as well.

Hopefully this mess makes sense I’m pretty scatterbrained when writing things like this. Any additional info needed to help me out I’ll gladly provide just not sure what else to put at the moment. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack triple nickel 6 speed manual.
240 Posts
I can’t see how the pistons in the calipers could be damaged…I think your just not getting the pistons to fully retract. I know when I put new pads in my 6 piston brembo’s I had to use a big screw driver to wedge against the pads to push the pistons in enough to get them to go back on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can’t see how the pistons in the calipers could be damaged…I think your just not getting the pistons to fully retract. I know when I put new pads in my 6 piston brembo’s I had to use a big screw driver to wedge against the pads to push the pistons in enough to get them to go back on.
Oh trust me there was a lot of wedging attempts and trying different flatheads and other tools to get it back into place. No dice. I wish I knew how it happened! All 5 of the other pistons retracted fine no issues. The inner lower piston on both drivers side and passenger side calipers are blown out. They look like mushroom heads not flat at all. Those are the reason for the uneven wear on the rotors causing me to replace them and find this new fun issue.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,528 Posts
Oh trust me there was a lot of wedging attempts and trying different flatheads and other tools to get it back into place. No dice. I wish I knew how it happened! All 5 of the other pistons retracted fine no issues. The inner lower piston on both drivers side and passenger side calipers are blown out. They look like mushroom heads not flat at all. Those are the reason for the uneven wear on the rotors causing me to replace them and find this new fun issue.
It's tough just trying to pry those back with a screwdriver. Need one of these!

Auto part Fashion accessory Metal Event Titanium

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You could try these guys Products Archive - Cleveland Power & Performance

They seem to have a good supply of wrecked Hellcats and Challengers to choose parts from. I needed a pair of Redeye half shafts which were hard, or impossible, to find. I purchased a set from one of their donor cars and worked out great. They’d be glad to shoot you a price on a pair of used 6 piston calipers I’d think.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Doesn't anybody offer a rebuilt caliper that you just trade your core for like regular cars? Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's tough just trying to pry those back with a screwdriver. Need one of these!

View attachment 1053946
Had something similar still didn’t budge

Doesn't anybody offer a rebuilt caliper that you just trade your core for like regular cars? Good luck!
Not sure that’s why I’m here. I need help, I have no idea where to look or what to do less shell out 1000-1300 per for new calipers (which I’m desperately trying to avoid)
Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Not sure that’s why I’m here. I need help, I have no idea where to look or what to do less shell out 1000-1300 per for new calipers (which I’m desperately trying to avoid)
Fingers crossed!
Might start here.

Or;

Here is a listing of their Challenger brake calipers. A quick call could probably find out if they can help you.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The Brembo calipers are not intended to be disassembled and rebuilt.

• Sad
Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
240 Posts
FYI the bermbo 4 piston front brakes will bolt right up…just giving you a cheaper option for you to consider.

Oh…you will need different rotors, but their not expensive.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have my stock 4 piston (red) front brakes with rotors I’d sell. They are perfect with 3k miles on them.
I replaced the stock Brembo pads with power stop pads at around 1700 miles. The bermbo pads would come with the brakes. (Powerstop pads will remain in the calipers).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have my stock 4 piston (red) front brakes with rotors I’d sell. They are perfect with 3k miles on them.
I replaced the stock Brembo pads with power stop pads at around 1700 miles. The bermbo pads would come with the brakes. (Powerstop pads will remain in the calipers).
I appreciate the offer, if I didn’t just get new rotors and pads I would totally consider this. But I’m still going to try and rebuild these ones and worse come to worse get new calipers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I’ve gotten 2 of the 3 pistons on the problem side out. The mushroomed one won’t budge in or out. It’s really frozen there in that position. I’ll get it out tho one way or another!
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,528 Posts
Is there some kind of adhesive on there? it looks like some type of epoxy.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
That caliper is toast. :(

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
2,206 Posts
Can you put the two other pistons back in? If so, possibly you could put a metal plate across the three good ones and hold them in with a clamp. Do the same across the two that you got out, which would isolate the frozen piston. Hook it back on to the brake line, bleed it and use the master cylinder to push out the piston? That thing is really chewed up, bore may be too corroded to fix. Good luck 👍

1 - 20 of 34 Posts