Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this Star center case K38556860 concerning the input shaft grease causing the transmission to stick in gear?

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Found the below on another site. Note, I have the transmission sticking issue with my 2010 and the below was applied to it at my request (after letting them attempt to fix it on their own for a week) and the problem still persists. At least it's at a point that it doesn't always happen, but it's enough to annoy me -- but now when I take it in, they can't reproduce it and it will be another week or so before I can reproduce it again.

-------------------------------------

Vehicle Issue Trans is hard to shift into gear.
Year 2009
Model LC - CHALLENGER
Engine 6.1L SRT HEMI (SMPI) V8, 5.7L HEMI VCT, 5.7L HEMI VCT
MDS (EZD)
System or Component;Gear
Driver Input / Vehicle Operation; Shifting

Case Verification; Vehicle affected is the LC Challenger equipped with a manual
transmission. It may be difficult to shift in and out of gear.

Recommendation ;Repair this condition by removing the transmission, cleaning the
transmission input shaft splines and the clutch hub splines, regreasing,
and putting all the same parts back together. No parts need to be replaced because clutch disc wear or shaft/hub spline wear are not contributing factors.
The clutch should be removed from the flywheel to properly clean
the clutch splines, because it is not possible to thoroughly clean
the clutch splines otherwise. Do not use harsh spray solvents
(brake clean, etc.) on the clutch discs... care must be taken to
keep cleaning solvents away from the clutch friction material.
Mineral spirits or similar will get the job done. Both of the clutch
hub splines and transmission input shaft splines must be
carefully cleaned. When applying the grease for reassembly, the
entire exposed length of the clutch hub splines (both discs) and
the entire length of the input shaft should be lightly coated with
the P/N 05083150AA grease, spread evenly on all splines
without excess. The flywheel does not need to be removed for
this repair. New clutch pressure plate to flywheel bolts P/N
06508880AA (quantity 6) must be used.

Modification Date 12/10/09 5:02 PM
Review Approved

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! so for everyone complaining that dealers are not covering this because "grease" is not a stated covered component in their warranty, you can argue the covered component is clearly stated in the texts of the Star Case as "System or Component;
Gear Driver Input"

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
All my re-greases they've done were after the 36k warranty expired (they did three just to be sure) and they told me it was covered under the powertrain warranty. I'm surprised mine has gone as far as they have to try to fix it. But yes, that would be a very good argument point for those dealerships not covering it.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I took mine in for this a WEEK ago and they still refuse to fix it. I have had it in several times for this and they always couldn't reproduce it and finally the tech was with me and it happened. Now the dealership is blaming dodge on not wanting to fix it under warranty and dodge is blaming the dealership. Its a bunch of horse $H!T. Im not going to pay them $450 to do something that has been wrong for the last 40k miles.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree they should fix this and stop the BS with you!

I have to go in next week to have them check my tranny as I cant get the thing in 1st gear or reverse, it also grinds from 1-2 and 2-3. I have only 27K on the car, never took it to the track or ever did a burn out, I know I am lame but my thinking was I didn't want any issues with the driveline. Seems not to matter as I now have an issue with the tranny.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I have a 2011 and it started to stick in gear last fall at around 16,000 miles. Cold weather seems to be worse than warm weather.

I notice it when parked...trying to get it out of gear to put in reverse. Also can feel a lot of drag on the clutch when starting it if it is in gear.

doesn't sound like there is much hope the dealer will do anything about it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 2009 SRT8 6-speed. I wasn't aware of this issue. Although my warranty is up, the car has just over a thousand miles on it. Now I have this to worry about along with the N23 recall that screwed up the LOW range on my 2006 Jeep Commander. (Tons on the web about that). God Damn Chrysler walks away from their customers. They should notify owners and fix these problems! Next time, I'm thinking twice before I shell out my money to that company. I work too hard to take their unappreciative shit time after time. This is ridiculous. What an arrogant company.

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I took mine in for this a WEEK ago and they still refuse to fix it. I have had it in several times for this and they always couldn't reproduce it and finally the tech was with me and it happened. Now the dealership is blaming dodge on not wanting to fix it under warranty and dodge is blaming the dealership. Its a bunch of horse $H!T. Im not going to pay them $450 to do something that has been wrong for the last 40k miles.
I took my 2009 SRT8 for this while it was still under the 3yr/36 and they said it was "normal". He even got it stuck in gear when parking on a incline. He told me, yea that's because you're not using the parking brake first. I was so pissed off. I have only owned manual cars, it's not normal you idiot. THEN he told me it may be being caused by my MOPAR SHIFT KNOB :lol:. At that point I was beyond done with that dealership. 50k and it still sticks on me every now and then. Oh well, love the car and just use the parking brake first. Very rare for it to happen while I'm driving so I don't really notice it anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
First off even if you loaded the weight of the car when parking it once you press the clutch the car is in neutral then an the pre load is gone so it shouldn't be stuck anymore if that was the cause.
I was at Carlisle last weekend and was at the modern muscle booth and saw they were selling new car "take off" clutches, when I asked about them he said if you look at the samples there was a change in the number of splines from the first years and less splines in the more recent ones. The one with more splines would tend to have a greater potential to bind and wonder if they changed the shaft on the trans because if this issue.
Great going Dodge, ignore and PISS OFF the people buying your cars.
Crap customer service will send them elsewhere when they choose to buy a new car.
Something that ALWAYS gets me angry is, if a car isn't doing what the customer is there complaining about WHY WOULD THEY BE STANDING THERE ARGUING WITH THE SERVICE WRITER?
They would be at work, at home, shopping or out enjoying themselves, not having a disagreement with a twit who really couldn't care whether they are made whole or not.
There are a great many car owners who know even more than the "techs" do but they always try and talk down to the customer. In the old days were were and still are proud to be called a mechanic.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yellow Jacket, I couldn't agree with you more.

The service writer I encountered had the freaking balls to tell me a 130.00/hr diagnostic fee was applicable to diagnose my tranny problem which is under warranty. I finally called Chrysler care today because after 10 days and the car sitting still sitting in their overcrowded lot and they haven't even looked at is simply unfathomable to me.

Not to mention the fact that I had to wait two weeks for the privilege of an appointment, like they are doing me a favor. So as of now, I am 24 days into this disaster and they haven't even begun to diagnose the car.

My biggest fear is the condition my car will be returned to me, they have to tear apart the interior to get the shift handle off, remove the after market exhaust, remove the tranny, disassemble, replace probably 1st, 2nd, 3rd, syncros, clutch bearing who knows what else, then they will tell me nothing is under warranty and it will cost 5K or something.

Even if it doesn't cost me anything, say the 100.00 warranty deductible, I fear it will never be the same, it will never shift like it used to, the interior will be ripped or the shifter leather torn or just not put back together correctly, dents in the door because the tech weighted 300lbs and couldn't get his fat smelly ass in there correctly so he opened the door all the way and the door hit the lift. Guess what I am saying here is that they will never treat it they way I would treat it, with kid gloves.

I baby this car, bought new on 12/2009 and only has 27K on it. Haven't even done a burnout yet, I know I know, at least the original tires still have some tread left...lol

I hope the Chrysler Care rep calls me back and tells me the diagnostic fee is NOT applicable and will be waived, the dealer has began to work on the car an everything is under warranty because calling the dealer has lead to one lame excuse after the other.

I don't trust them after the first lie, what makes you think I am going to trust them moving forward?
Really piss poor customer service from the writer to absolutely piss poor management from a tech availability perspective.

I also lodged a complaint with the NHTSA and strongly urge anyone with a 6M Tremec tranny issues to also lodge a complaint. If they receive enough complaints they will launch an investigation and hopefully lead to a recall which would cost Chrysler and Tremec money, then maybe they will finally own up to this disaster of a tranny that is in the Challenger, Camaro SS and GT500.

TREMEC = FAIL

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yellow Jacket, I couldn't agree with you more.

The service writer I encountered had the freaking balls to tell me a 130.00/hr diagnostic fee was applicable to diagnose my tranny problem which is under warranty. I finally called Chrysler care today because after 10 days and the car sitting still sitting in their overcrowded lot and they haven't even looked at is simply unfathomable to me.

Not to mention the fact that I had to wait two weeks for the privilege of an appointment, like they are doing me a favor.

My biggest fear is the condition my car will be returned to me, they have to tear apart the interior to get the shift handle off, remove the after market exhaust, remove the tranny, disassemble, replace probably 1st, 2nd, 3rd, syncros, clutch bearing who knows what else, then they will tell me nothing is under warranty and it will cost 5K or something.

Even if it doesn't cost me anything, say the 100.00 warranty deductible, I fear it will never be the same, it will never shift like it used to, the interior will be ripped or the shifter leather torn, dents in the door because the tech weighted 300lbs and couldn't get his fat smelly ass in there correctly so he opened the door all the way and the door hit the lift. Guess what I am saying here is that they will never treat it they way I would treat it, with kid gloves.

I baby this car, bought new on 12/2009 and only has 27K on it. Haven't even done a burnout yet, I know I know, at least the original tires still have some tread left...lol

I hope the Chrysler Care rep calls me back and tell me the diagnostic fee is NOT applicable and will be waived because calling the dealer has lead to one lame excuse after the other. Really piss poor customer service from the writer to absolutely piss poor management from a tech availability perspective.

I also lodged a complaint to the NHTSA and strongly urge anyone with a 6M Tremec tranny lodge a complaint. If they receive enough complaints they will launch an investigation and hopefully lead to a recall which would cost Chrysler and Tremec money, then maybe they will finally own up to this disaster of a tranny that is in the Challenger, Camaro SS and GT500.

TREMEC = FAIL
That's a little extreme. Not everybody with a 6 speed has had such a horrible experience. It's unfortunate you've had to deal with crappy service at a dealership but that can happen to anyone with any car. Keep in mind people have put over 1000 hp through the stock internals of the TR-6060 without issues, and there is a reason why it's in the Viper. To say it's a "Disaster of a tranny" is a little over the top. I think your problem is just some morons at your dealer who don't care and don't want to own up to a problem properly. If you can't trust them then go somewhere else.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Um, the Viper may have the same designed tranny but certainly has better internals so it is not exactly the same tranny is it?

Just ask around, do some research read the Camaro and GT500 forums.

I stand by my opinion TREMEC = JUNK,

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Um, the Viper may have the same designed tranny but certainly has better internals so it is not exactly the same tranny is it?

Just ask around, do some research read the Camaro and GT500 forums.

I stand by my opinion TREMEC = JUNK,
I've done the research and I've asked around, as well as owned one. I stand by my opinion as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
BlackHemi41, you are entitled to your opinion of course.

But the Viper tranny does not have the same internals as the Challenger, Camaro or GT500 believe what you want.

Tremec and probably Dodge were looking to cut corners, save money instead of building a quality tranny.

As a result many owners of these cars are having all kinds of shifting issues, you cannot deny that fact.

The reason why the Vipers haven't experienced the issues yet is probably because they are not driven everyday.

Fact still remain many of them are failing and no one is stepping to the plate to address the issues, except for maybe GM who halted all deliveries of the Camaro SS until they resolved the issue with Tremec.

Wish Dodge and Ford would do the same, then maybe Tremec will final own up to the problem.

TREMEC = JUNK!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 2010 rt, 6 speed. Within a week I noticed the sticking in gear, stiff shifting, etc. The car is still under the power train warranty. The dealer at first was reluctant to work on it under warranty, but after calling Chrysler care line, and speaking to the area tech rep, they agreed. The pulled the transmission and found the splines to not only be dry but rusty. Cleaned it up, lubed it, and it drives great. As smooth as my 2013. So I think if you push, it will get done. The kicker was the service manager said he had never heard of this problem, so I went to the sales manager I had bought from, and he pointed out a 2011 on their lot with 12000 miles on it with the same problem. Took that news back to the service manager, and he got pretty agreeable.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have a 2013 Blacktop R/T 6sp and have the same issue with the gear hard to shift to first and worst to second. I took it in on Friday and they said they know about the issue. They got me into a rental car yesterday and said it should take about 4 days to complete. My Dodge dealer is awesome. They never give me a hard time and will do what they need to keep clients happy. Chris Leith Dodge in Raleigh, NC ROCKS...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts