Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 R/T with 6 speed manual. Just bought the car a few weeks ago. 50k miles.

Love the car but I’ve noticed that the 1-2 shift is very firm and “chunky” - requiring a significant pull with a significant “thunk”. (Most pronounced when driving it hard). 2-3 also stiff but to a lesser extent. All of the shifts seem a bit stiff IMO.

Are these shifters/transmissions generally this stiff or is mine a bit out of kilter?

·
Premium Member
9,690 Posts
If you ever get forced from 1st - 4th, we would recommend the skip shift.

Another great option that I added to my 6spd is the Barton short throw shifter:

- Alexis

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2016 R/T felt like that to me - and having never driven an auto other than as rentals in the USA, I've done a lot of gear changes in the last 32 years.

Bit of reading n here . . . swopped to a Barton shifter - better, but still awful compared to the 6-spd in my Caterham for example.

Bit more reading and a day under the Challenger sliding the box back from the bell-housing to get to the input shaft splines - lubricated them - slid it all back together . . . and finally a smooth change. Not lightening quick like the Caterham, but then its a rather more heavy duty transmission.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies - good to hear mine isn’t out of the norm. Since I bought the car used I’ve been keeping an eye/ear/feel out for anything that seems amiss. I guess I don’t mind the stiff shifting much - as long as it is normal for this car. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t in for any $urpri$e$.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the replies - good to hear mine isn’t out of the norm. Since I bought the car used I’ve been keeping an eye/ear/feel out for anything that seems amiss. I guess I don’t mind the stiff shifting much - as long as it is normal for this car. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t in for any $urpri$e$.
I had/have the same problem. I called the tech support at Tremec and was told that the hard shifting and or grinding going from 1st to 2nd was an engineering issue and that there was a service bulletin for this. They have a repair kit that requires the transmission to be removed and the synchronizers be replaced on 1st and 2nd at the minimum. The other option is to shift very easily until the transmission is fully warmed up and then this issue is better but not gone. The dealership will most likely just deny that there is a problem and blame you for not knowing how to drive a stick. They tried this with me but it failed as I was an over the road long haul trucker at the time. Had been for 20 years so I knew how to shift a manual trans. Your issue is one that every Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger have experienced with the 6 speed Tremec. The same transmission was used in all of these cars and to some extent some of the Corvette's as well even though they used a transaxle it had the same basic components. Some people have dropped the transmission and thoroughly cleaned the splines and replaced the fluid with a lighter oil but the success for this much work did not justify the results, might as well have rebuilt the trans while it was out and been done with the problem IMHO. The main issue is with the synchros and some burrs on the splines that cause the hard shifting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Caterhams look like a ton of fun to drive.
:) With double the power to weight ratio of a 5.7 Challenger, a lot less mass to get going, a lot less inertia to overcome when slinging it around, and therefore a lot less momentum to lose under braking, it certainly is! There's not much will stay with a well driven one on a twisty, dry, road. I do enjoy upsetting bikers :) when they can use insane top speeds. Or even if they do, come the twisty bits, I'm soon back :)

Mine develops its power with revs - screaming its nuts off in 6th (which is 1:1) and low diff ratio at motorway speeds - but it gets there damn quick. Which means when I started using a manual Challenger over here last year in the UK (rather than the auto rentals I'd been enjoying in Texas for a couple months), I did end up rather sideways quite a few times as torque overcome grip rather easily on our greasy November roads - some right foot recalibration now mostly complete :)

To the original poster - try holding it facing up a slope on the footbrake, switch off, place it in first, foot off the clutch, apply the parking brake, then release the foot brake.

Car will roll back against the brake/engine. Now depress the clutch and try to get it out of gear - if its a pain to get out, then that suggests the clutch disc is sticking on the input shaft splines - I've never had another car do that in 30 odd years of driving manuals. Cleaned and lubed them as I described earlier, and that doesn't happen now - and the shift is a lot nicer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
119K on my '12 R/T M6 and it still shifts like butter, only issue is the aforementioned "sticky" shifting encountered by others, mine does that but not very often. I only encounter that when it has been driven for a very long time on the highway and everything is good and warmed up, and I go to leave after being parked for a short amount of time.
I also installed 1-4 skip shift eliminator years ago along with doing the clutch delay valve mod taking out the little rubber goody to clear the line, shifted much better for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts