Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have the same crappy shifter and grinding as my 2011 srt?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Shifter knob has changed since 2011. Grinding is a result of driver error/ missed shifts.

·
Super Moderator
17,237 Posts
the shift quality and feel is far better than the early years

I owned an '09 (new) and had the 1st > 2nd nibble, improved a lot by 14k, but still was there on cold drive off

my '16 drove like a fully broken transmission on day 1.

stock shifter is better than the '09 - '14 but aftermarket shifter is still a big improvement

had a modded (by Larry K) Hurst in the '09 (all that was available then) and a Barton in the '16

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
335 Posts
Not sure about the Hellcats, but my '21 RT has a very noticeable notchy feel when shifting 1-2. Not sure if it'll improve with more kms.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
While I look forward to upgrading to an aftermarket shifter, my 21' Scat M6 does not have, to me, an objectionable shift mechanism.
I can run it pretty good. I think the CDV does more to hurt the feel from the factory. And it will be going bye bye as soon as I can get to it.

Reactions: NoNeck

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
288 Posts
Not sure about the Hellcats, but my '21 RT has a very noticeable notchy feel when shifting 1-2. Not sure if it'll improve with more kms.
Yeah, I was never fond of the 1-2 shift. Barton helped a bit, skip shift eliminator helped a bit and removing the CDV helped a bit. The only thing that really worked for me was to almost pull it out of first, engage the clutch and slide into second. It’s done much faster but pulling it out of gear as the throttle is pulled back and almost using the clutch to engage the next gear. This experience cured me from ever really looking at another manual and going auto instead, especially with a powerful engine.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mine has a hurst with the restrictor removed and skip shift eliminated and i still get that 1-2 crap. It sure isnt driver error. Ive been rowing cars for 50 years. Ive was just wondering if dodge ever addressed it. Im sure not the only one thats complained about it. Im thinking on a hell cat and you would have way to much more to pay attention to on a 1-2 shift with 700 hp to baby a shift. I know an auto is the real way to go but finding used sticks is easier and there cheaper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The crappy shifting isn't a Dodge issue. This is an issue in the Camero and the Mustang as well. They all used the same transmission. I called Tremec and found that the issue is in the synchros and they have a kit that can be installed to cure this but the cost is on us, the owners. None of the manufactures considered this worthy of a recall and none would did anything about it.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
The crappy shifting isn't a Dodge issue. This is an issue in the Camero and the Mustang as well. They all used the same transmission. I called Tremec and found that the issue is in the synchros and they have a kit that can be installed to cure this but the cost is on us, the owners. None of the manufactures considered this worthy of a recall and none would did anything about it.
There was a class action suit against Ford last year on the MT82 and MT82 D-4 but has been partly dismissed.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe my 2008 zo6 had a tremec and it shifted MUCH better then my challenger or the other 6 speed challengers i drove. Ive drove a couple other zo6s and never thought to myself "this thing doesnt shift well" hands down better then my srt even with the hurst shifter

·
Registered
24 Posts
The version of the Tremec 6060 used in the Corvettes was a different version and they were lucky enough to not have the bad shifting issue. I have found that if I drive the car with gentleness on the acceleration and shift easy until the transmission has warmed up the shifting issue is much less of an issue or is not even noticeable. If and when I need a transmission rebuild this upgrade to the syncros will be on the list of items to get fixed. When I bought this car (2009 SRT8) it had 3k in miles and this was very noticeable at that time. Now 10 years later and 9,000 miles later it is still present, just not as bad. Tremec reported that I could change out the transmission lube and replace it with Dexron III ATF or Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and that may help the shifting some. I did not do this as I just don't drive my Challenger at all following multiple back surgeries. The ride is too painful for me so my pride just sits in the garage under it's cover. I agree with everyone that this should never have been allowed to go for as long as it has without there being a recall program to fix this problem but since the bean counters have seen fit to ignore this I will not buy another car with a Tremec transmission installed at the factory. Very disappointed the big 3 for allowing this to continue and then act like we are the problem and don't know how to shift. I was an over the road truck driver for 25 years so I think that I qualify as knowing how to shift.
Here is the link that Tremec sent me for the upgrade kit to fix the shifting issue.

Good morning Terry and thank you for contacting TREMEC
The hybrid synchronizers can be purchased through a few of our distributors. I would recommend that you contact Dederich’s Motorsports Tremec Transmissions and Performance Parts | Dederichs Motorsports as they should have them for you.
Thank you

Darin Stocker
Customer Service Representative
___

TREMEC

GEARED FOR THE FUTURE

46643 Ryan Court

Novi, MI 48377

Phone +1 (248) 859-6318

[email protected]

www.tremec.com

·
Vendor
13,244 Posts
you know I race with one and yes I did break one, and a differential twice, but I have a hard time understanding most people's disgust with the Tremec, I particularly like it,

with a Barton shifter, modified throw and kick a$$$ Ram clutch with an aluminum flywheel, I'm pretty proficient with it and don't miss gears

and on some track might shift as many as 15 to 20 times, as I prepare to run RA in 4 weeks for the first time, actually practicing shifting while watching a very good on track video in the car

have driven a very large number of manual transmission Challengers ranging from 5.7's to Hellcats, and my opinion on the transmission has not changed, for the most part, it rocks, very few failures, and except for my mistake on a road course, will sustain 950 whps,

there is a difference between drag racing and road racing, drag racing is very violent from a dead stop, what I do is not, however the stress of upshifting and down shifting can be every bit as demanding

my friend Stephan Williams from Mod2Fame has broken two of them recently, making over 1100 whps with twin turbos and roll racing and he knows this, have told him, he can be very abusive on the equipment but its the nature of his game

my friend Stephan

·
Super Moderator
17,237 Posts
I believe my 2008 zo6 had a tremec and it shifted MUCH better then my challenger or the other 6 speed challengers i drove. Ive drove a couple other zo6s and never thought to myself "this thing doesnt shift well" hands down better then my srt even with the hurst shifter
the shifter layout is different for the C6 Vette - Challengers have the remote shifter - external of the transmission case vs. the top mount internal shifter. Vipers also used a different case with a top mount shifter layout, and similarly Mustangs (Shelby) did this as well. There's many variants on the TR6060, depending on the application and chassis its going into

The remote shifter adds some more working length to the shift rod and the shifter linkage itself. So that changes the feel of the shift vs. the internal shift mechanism style cases.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
vettes have a transaxle so the linkage would be much longer. youd think that would add problems not cure them.

·
Super Moderator
17,237 Posts
the Vette layout has a torque tube and the shifter is mounted on the torque tube with shift rods going into the transmission at the rear.

Ours have a shifter that is mounted on rubber bushings - two of the bushings are on trans case and one is on trans tunnel - so if the driveline shifts, so does the shifter. On the 'Vette the shifter is bolted to the driveline - no deflection in the linkage

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im no transmission expert but id think a longer linkage would do more determental toward smooth grind free shifting then rubber mounting with a short linkage. One things for sure my z06 sure shifted smoother then the srt and ive never came even close to missing a gear in the vette.

·
Registered
16,206 Posts
Somebody posted this picture and it says a lot with regards to the bad shifting.

How can the clutch smoothly engage and disengage when the input shaft is dry as a bone and rusted up like this?

First thing I'd do is to pull the trans and see if yours looks like this. These shafts need a thin coat of a good grease for the clutch to work right, never going to shift properly like this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have an '11 SRT 6 spd. Never had a problem. Shifts smooth and easy...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I road race my Challenger through the summer, I've done the CDV delete, Barton shifter and full synthetic trans fluid, and I still get that 1-2 nibble, although not as bad. I've got nearly 70k km on the odometer now, so I suspect this is as good as it's going to get. I do recall reading somewhere about a possible slight mis-alignment between transmission/shifter/trans tunnel that was solved by a urethane trans mount. Don't know if that would make a difference or not though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts