Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys
I have had my Challenger for about 3 months and beginning to realize it has had a hard life... It has about 90,000kms (55,000 miles) and I believe the transmission needs to be replaced or rebuilt. The synchros seem bad in 2nd and 3rd - catches sometimes when shifting - doesn't matter if I shift slowly or fast. Any idea what a used one would cost or cost to rebuild? Where could a guy get either a new one or used? looked on ebay but only saw one used one for $3,000 plus shipping...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would do a transmission oil change first. Tremec transmissions are bullet proof, so I am not sold on you needing a new transmission. My old tremec in my trans am would grind 3rd gear and doing an oil change on transmission helped alot. Also temec transmissions do seem to grind when cold. At least from my experience that has been the case.

·
Registered
500 Posts
skip shift engaging from a 2-3 shift?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would do a transmission oil change first. Tremec transmissions are bullet proof, so I am not sold on you needing a new transmission. My old tremec in my trans am would grind 3rd gear and doing an oil change on transmission helped alot. Also temec transmissions do seem to grind when cold. At least from my experience that has been the case.
I had the fluid changed about 2 weeks ago hoping it was the issue. In the last couple of days it has gotten significantly worse. Oddly today I noticed that it is only bad on slow shifts and shifts smoothly on higher RPM shifts...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Not sure what area you are from but most likely, it is the bronze synchronizers. Even when new they may occasionally grind but that is normal. If it is tough to get into gear and grinds a whole lot, then just have a reputable shop rebuild it. Id suggest carbon coated synchronizers as it will really help the shifts become super smooth. You can call Liberty Gear or any other reputable place and they'll answer any other questions give them a call.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had the fluid changed about 2 weeks ago hoping it was the issue. In the last couple of days it has gotten significantly worse. Oddly today I noticed that it is only bad on slow shifts and shifts smoothly on higher RPM shifts...
What did the old fluid look like?
Was there metal in it?

One good way is to hold it in changing light and see if there are metal reflections in it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did the old fluid look like?
Was there metal in it?

One good way is to hold it in changing light and see if there are metal reflections in it.
The transmission shop I took it to is reputable. I told them what it was doing when I requested the fluid change - they didn't comment on the condition of the fluid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure what area you are from but most likely, it is the bronze synchronizers. Even when new they may occasionally grind but that is normal. If it is tough to get into gear and grinds a whole lot, then just have a reputable shop rebuild it. Id suggest carbon coated synchronizers as it will really help the shifts become super smooth. You can call Liberty Gear or any other reputable place and they'll answer any other questions give them a call.
No problems going into gear - just "Catches" sometimes and more recently grinding. Not all the time but more frequently now. I believe they are the brass? synchros...
Hard to believe it needs to be rebuilt...
Thanks for the info on Liberty Gear

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
No problems going into gear - just "Catches" sometimes and more recently grinding. Not all the time but more frequently now. I believe they are the brass? synchros...
Hard to believe it needs to be rebuilt...
Thanks for the info on Liberty Gear
I'm not suggesting it needs rebuilt. It is normal for it to grind going into second because of the brass synchronizers. It can be rebuilt where it is super smooth.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not suggesting it needs rebuilt. It is normal for it to grind going into second because of the brass synchronizers. It can be rebuilt where it is super smooth.
I don't believe any grinding of gears is normal and am worried it is damaging the gears. I spoke to the shop yesterday - taking it in and having the transmission opened up to see whats going on... Can't get it in until the first of September - stay tuned.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beginning to wonder if this is the clutch.
If the car is parked It is almost impossible to pull it out of gear before to start out (like if it was parked and left in reverse - hard to pull it out of reverse) like I am trying to pull it of gear without pushing in the clutch...
Starting to grind going into 4th
Pull out on to the road in 1st and burn it, quick shift to 2nd but it won'gt go into 2nd... (new)
Sometimes down shifting it seems to slow down even though the clutch is in

anyway - taking it in on the 5th...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey JimBiggs....check th link hemisaurus posted. I started having a lot of trouble getting the 2-3 shift at the track....figured it was tranny fluid so i changed that....improved but still got it once in a while. Because of this thread i went to the link and it lead me to my brake fluid....which is also the clutch fluid. Mine looked like used motor oil. So, i have been sucking out as much as I can with a turkey baster, replacing with new, driving and tracking the car and then repeating. Each time ive done it the fluid that I suvk out is clearer. And now that Ive done it several times my trans is back to shifting like it should....cheap and quick thing to check

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So 2nd and 3rd gear are toast. Also there is a gear that got so hot that it welded itself to the (input?) shaft so they can't pull it out of the case. If they can't get that shaft out without damaging it - I'm in for about $6000...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Damn at that much money I would be getting a built tranny from rpm

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hey Guys
I have had my Challenger for about 3 months and beginning to realize it has had a hard life... It has about 90,000kms (55,000 miles) and I believe the transmission needs to be replaced or rebuilt. The synchros seem bad in 2nd and 3rd - catches sometimes when shifting - doesn't matter if I shift slowly or fast. Any idea what a used one would cost or cost to rebuild? Where could a guy get either a new one or used? looked on ebay but only saw one used one for $3,000 plus shipping...
What year is your car? If it is 2008-2010, the Tremics had a very well documented (on this forum at least) Star Case issue. My rebuild + clutch was over 5k on my 2009. The brass synchros were so cheesy you can not even get them anymore. I had to upgrade to carbon fiber with added another 1500.00 to the original 3800.00 price. I have documentation if you need it. I am not sold on Tremec's. Mine shifts like an automatic now as I upgraded to a Hurst linkage with G & K mods and a pistol grip shifter. I have 2016-2017 owners hop in at car shows and they are amazed. No grinding, no finger crossing going from 2 to 3rd, just click around like an automatic.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts