Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hopefully going to finally get a challenger since my current car lease is almost up. I am crossing my fingers that I can afford at least an 09 srt but the wife has been out of a teaching job since last year. My questions is, is the 6 speed really the only way to go in the SRT?

·
Registered
557 Posts
6 speed is more fun...auto is quicker.

Whatever floats your boat. Buy it for YOU, not anybody else.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
This is going be exciting, first thread on this. Going to make popcorn, be right back.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
1,987 Posts
I agree, get the 6 speed unless you are drag racing or drive in traffic all day long. The clutch is feather light, the linkage smooth and the pistol grip perfect.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I Love my Autostick...Nuff said

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
this has been done before but since you ask 6 speed all the way the fun factor has it hands down and you get a nice kick in the pants feeling hit the gears :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
6 speed is more fun...auto is quicker.

Whatever floats your boat. Buy it for YOU, not anybody else.

To the point. Agreed completely. I would add that the manual will return better sustained hiway fuel economy and the automatic will be more plesant to operate in traffic jams. If you are a "senior" operator your left knee may prefer one less pedal. This "senior" operator will play hurt as long as he can......:lol:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Do yourself a favor - test drive one of each, then decide what's best for your driving environment as well as your own preference. I've had nothing but manual transmissions in my fun cars since 1983. I went with an auto in my SRT8 for a whole bunch of reasons - but I drove both trannys first. I like the auto stick - provides some enhanced enjoyment yet maintains the convenience of an auto. Worked for me - but drive both, then decide what's best for you.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I got the auto. The 6 speed just doesn't work in NJ traffic. Would love to have one of each though. The autostick is there too if you miss having the manual.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think my avatar says it for me. As for LA traffic, it gives me something to do while stuck in
it.

·
Super Moderator
14,135 Posts
I have the autostick and realy like it for the following reasons:

*Can use auto for heavy traffic.
*Has autostick feature for "clutchless fun."
*Slightly faster and consistent 1/4 mile times.
*Wife can drive it (on second thought...:icon_rolleyes: ).

Like everyone said, its all a matter of personal preference. Test drive both the manual and auto before you decide.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
The 2011 Challenger SRT8's auto and manual are running identical 1/4 times. I say you need a stick to fully enjoy any musclecar. You have more control and the autostick does not give you the feel of control when driving in the twistys. When driving the autostick at the SRT experience I really disliked the lag when down shifting and upshifting when entering and exiting a turn.

What are you going to use the car for. Daily driver, weekend driver, long trips with family, etc.? You get the idea. Get the autostick if the car is a daily driver. Personally if the car is a daily driver and you have to have child seats in the back for them I would buy a 4 door SRT or RT Charger. No matter what anyone says loading car seats and young kids in a two door car is a pain.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy :bigthumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2010 DY SRT 6 speed and love it. Test drive both. I feel that stick is more fun but auto is nice to have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This will be a daily driver but I had a 5 speed supercharge cobra with 4.10 gears so I was a shifting machine. When I drive to work here in Dallas I am on the road at 6 in the morning so traffic isnt bad at all. I loved my 5 speed in the cobra was a ton of fun

·
Banned
863 Posts
This will be a daily driver but I had a 5 speed supercharge cobra with 4.10 gears so I was a shifting machine. When I drive to work here in Dallas I am on the road at 6 in the morning so traffic isnt bad at all. I loved my 5 speed in the cobra was a ton of fun
Go with your heart. If you were a shifting machine in the cobra, you should get the manual in this beast.:thumbsup:
If you loved the stick then, you will still love it now.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Stick has a higher fun factor playing around and at the track. I would say the auto is better at the track; however, my 300C SRT8 had an annoying factor of occasionally going all the way to low gear when placed in drive. This happened to me twice at the drag strip and cost me round losses as it bounced off the rev limiter and me trying to figure out what was the h^&* was going on.

As long it is a Challenger you can't go wrong.:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts