Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

So I bought a 6-speed 2011 SRT-8 last week. The car is arriving in 8 days. When I test drove a car at the dealer, they did not have any 6-speeds in stock, so I tested a car equipped with the 5-speed slush box. I essentially bought the car without knowing how the manual transmission felt. Never owned an auto in my life, and wasn't about to start.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can expect in regards to throw, take up, overall smoothness and ratios as compared to the auto?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Auto's will beat you at the track, but you will be having a hell of a lot more fun :thumbsup:

Most notable thing I've found with my 6sp...
When the motor "sounds" like it's in it's cruising sweet spot... your speedo will be in the 80-90 range :eek2:
55mph in 6th is barely above a fast idle.

Just something to keep in mind if in 6th gear in Cop happy area's... "you are very likely going much faster than you think"

Overall... you made the right choice.
Have a blast :thumbsup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi all.

So I bought a 6-speed 2011 SRT-8 last week. The car is arriving in 8 days. When I test drove a car at the dealer, they did not have any 6-speeds in stock, so I tested a car equipped with the 5-speed slush box. I essentially bought the car without knowing how the manual transmission felt. Never owned an auto in my life, and wasn't about to start.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can expect in regards to throw, take up, overall smoothness and ratios as compared to the auto?

Thanks,

Rob
Don't worry, you made the the right choice go to this link GWE CHALLENGER with Jay and Ralph http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/page5/

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Definitely the right choice. You will LOVE it, especially compared to the auto, and especially since you already like manual trannies.

Biggest thing I noticed on the R/T (don't know if it's like this on the SRT) is the clutch feel. It's light, really light for something engaging ~400HP, 400 ft/lb trq., but it does the job well. Nice thing the wife's not afraid to drive it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely the right choice. You will LOVE it, especially compared to the auto, and especially since you already like manual trannies.

Biggest thing I noticed on the R/T (don't know if it's like this on the SRT) is the clutch feel. It's light, really light for something engaging ~400HP, 400 ft/lb trq., but it does the job well. Nice thing the wife's not afraid to drive it.
You let your wife drive it?? Kudos, my friend, you are a better man than I. ; )

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Auto's will beat you at the track, but you will be having a hell of a lot more fun :thumbsup:

Most notable thing I've found with my 6sp...
When the motor "sounds" like it's in it's cruising sweet spot... your speedo will be in the 80-90 range :eek2:
55mph in 6th is barely above a fast idle.

Just something to keep in mind if in 6th gear in Cop happy area's... "you are very likely going much faster than you think"

Overall... you made the right choice.
Have a blast :thumbsup:
Yeah, Runner, I got that distinct impression just testing the automatic. My cruise control will no doubt be getting a workout with all the CHiPs on the freeways of LA. Thanks for the tip!

R

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
* Throws are fairly short and the shift effort is low

* Pedal effort is very light (hydraulic clutch)

* Close ratios (rpm drop is consistent gear to gear)

* Highway cruise in top gear has you ~ 1,500 rpm

* Recommend skip-shift eliminator (search threads on this forum)
- dongles run ~ $15-$19
- Diablo Predator tuner (more $$) also disables this function
- SSE will prevent the 1>4 forced shift at 19-21mph from 1st gear take- off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts