Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short: I can't shift into 4th gear (manual transmission) very well. If i move slow and smoothly it grinds, if I slam it, it still makes a horrible clunk sound but it'll get in there. Almost as if you are trying to shift it without the clutch and trying to match the RPM's. Also, I dont know if its always been there but I now hear a whining sound when accelerating in first and 2nd gear. Lastly when in 2nd gear and allowing the car to slow on its own from the engine, it makes a horrible growling sound (and no its not the beautiful hemi sound).

What I have read is that this might be the synchros being destroyed. Now I do drive the car like it was built to be driven but by no means do I drive it enough to be broken within 14000 miles (current odometer). I was worried my clutch was going out, but how can that be? I drove a 5 speed dodge ram and put 100,000 miles on that thing and the clutch was fine! I drive this new car much better than I treated my truck.

Recently the temperature has dropped from 80's to 30 degrees at night which I have also read can have an impact but I should not be having this stern 4th gear problem, regardless of weather.

Have any of you had this problem and found a solution? Any advice is greatly welcomed, I will be visiting the dealership tomorrow. I am just worried they might say its the clutch and not cover it :(, in which case I'd have to sell this car if it cant handle the way I drive it, which isnt that rough.

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
334 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts