Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Challenger RT Classic 6 Speed and recently installed a skip shift eliminator. I love it! I'm pretty new to driving a manual and I find myself a bit nervous about accidently slaping the car into reverse intead of going into 5th gear. Is it possible to do this?? I'd like to believe there is some kind of lockout of the reverse mode while the car is in motion. By installing the skip shift eliminator did I bypass any protection of that??? I just don't want to be on the highway and find out the hard way. Sorry if this is a silly question. Thanks.

2010 Hemi Orange Challenger RT Classic
6 Speed Manual
Super Track Pak
Electronics Conv. Group
Mygig Nav with Sound Group II
White Stripes
Mods: Katzkin Pearl White Leather * Skip Shift Eliminator

·
Super Moderator
15,552 Posts
There's a reverse inhibitor solenoid on the 6-speed Tremecs - in these two instances, you can't get into reverse:

*moving forward (as in driving, or rolling >3 mph)
*ignition off

In short, the only way you can get reverse gear with the engine / ignition on is when you're just about at a full stop/ slower than 3 mph.

Reverse gear is fully synchronized on these Tremecs, and when shifting in the 5-6 gate in motion at speed, Reverse is blocked by the solenoid as a safety device (and to protect the tranny's internals).

This is also described in the owners' manual as well

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a reverse inhibitor solenoid on the 6-speed Tremecs - in these two instances, you can't get into reverse:

*moving forward (as in driving, or rolling >3 mph)
*ignition off

In short, the only way you can get reverse gear with the engine / ignition on is when you're just about at a full stop/ slower than 3 mph.

Reverse gear is fully synchronized on these Tremecs, and when shifting in the 5-6 gate in motion at speed, Reverse is blocked by the solenoid as a safety device (and to protect the tranny's internals).

This is also described in the owners' manual as well
Ok... that makes sense. Does having the skip shift eliminator installed have any effect on this safty feature??

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that gives me some peace of mind... I honestly don't worry about too many things, but the idea of doing 55 on the highway and throwing it into reverse by accident is a little disturbing. Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
675 Posts
what exactly does the skip shift eliminator do? How does one benefit from it?

Purchasing a 2010 srt 6 speed soon and was curious

·
Banned
557 Posts
what exactly does the skip shift eliminator do? How does one benefit from it?

Purchasing a 2010 srt 6 speed soon and was curious
By default, the Challenger (and many other cars) have a "skip shift" feature built in that FORCES you to go from 1st to 4th when certain speed & RPM requirements are met. It's to help maximize fuel economy. :notallthere:

Truth be told, it's distracting and has made my butt cheeks pucker a few times as it nearly caused me to have a few accidents. For about $30 total, I bought a SSE from SpeedLogix and they shipped it to my door. Took about 5 minutes to install and now no more issues.

However, if you plan on (or already have a Predator tuner) I have heard you can also electronically bypass the skip shift feature as well. The tuner is around $300, but obviously offers other features.

·
Banned
675 Posts
By default, the Challenger (and many other cars) have a "skip shift" feature built in that FORCES you to go from 1st to 4th when certain speed & RPM requirements are met. It's to help maximize fuel economy. :notallthere:

Truth be told, it's distracting and has made my butt cheeks pucker a few times as it nearly caused me to have a few accidents. For about $30 total, I bought a SSE from SpeedLogix and they shipped it to my door. Took about 5 minutes to install and now no more issues.

However, if you plan on (or already have a Predator tuner) I have heard you can also electronically bypass the skip shift feature as well. The tuner is around $300, but obviously offers other features.
Thanks for the information. I will look into getting one :)

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
This is partially correct, the skip shift programmed into the ECU activates a solenoid that locks out the 2nd gear gate which in turn forces you into a higher gear, not necessarily 4th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts