Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone has done or investigated swapping in a 6-speed from an R/T in place of the A8. Yes, I know the A8 shifts fast and all that, that's not part of the discussion. I'm looking at it from the "more control" viewpoint.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
Doable? Sure...anything is doable with enough time, effort, and money.

Feasible? No, not for anyone that has a limited budget and only a certain amount of free time.

Practical? Not even close.

If you were rich beyond rich and bored out of your skull and just wanted to see if you could do it, sure, go nuts. Otherwise I can’t see it being worth it...especially on an A8 equipped car.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,512 Posts
Just off the cuff this is what hardware you would need:

trans and shift assembly
pedal assembly and clutch sensor
rear diff with a 3.7 or 3.9 to 1 ratio
flywheel
center console and bezels
master clutch and reservoir as it shares fluid with the brakes
trans cross member and mount
driveshaft (might have to be custom as rear cradle is different part number between manual and auto)

Software wise you would need HP tuners to change the trans settings in the PCM, heck you can just copy the calibration from a manual vehicle. You will also need alfaOBD to change the BCM configuration such as chassis type (autos are 44 and manuals are 77) and re-initialize the ABS so it takes the change. You will need to modify the push to start setting so you don't press the brake but the clutch to start. You will also have to change settings so PRNDL don't show on the cluster. Basically you would need to copy the changes of a manual setup. If you have remote start you might have to remove its module.

Seems easier to swap a manual for an auto rather than the other way around. I guess you can sell the auto trans to recoup some of the cost as they fetch more money than a manual trans....but you will devalue the car.

The A8 is an awesome trans and quick but I love my manual trans...easy to tune the engine, driving is 100% driver skill, burnouts are way easy, you can rev the engine any time you like, and it is a great anti-theft device. :)

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Just off the cuff this is what hardware you would need:

trans and shift assembly
pedal assembly and clutch sensor
rear diff with a 3.7 or 3.9 to 1 ratio
flywheel
center console and bezels
master clutch and reservoir as it shares fluid with the brakes
trans cross member and mount
driveshaft (might have to be custom as rear cradle is different part number between manual and auto)

Software wise you would need HP tuners to change the trans settings in the PCM, heck you can just copy the calibration from a manual vehicle. You will also need alfaOBD to change the BCM configuration such as chassis type (autos are 44 and manuals are 77) and re-initialize the ABS so it takes the change. You will need to modify the push to start setting so you don't press the brake but the clutch to start. You will also have to change settings so PRNDL don't show on the cluster. Basically you would need to copy the changes of a manual setup. If you have remote start you might have to remove its module.

Seems easier to swap a manual for an auto rather than the other way around. I guess you can sell the auto trans to recoup some of the cost as they fetch more money than a manual trans....but you will devalue the car.

The A8 is an awesome trans and quick but I love my manual trans...easy to tune the engine, driving is 100% driver skill, burnouts are way easy, you can rev the engine any time you like, and it is a great anti-theft device. :)
and what about MDS, what is to be done with that in this franken-Hemi?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,512 Posts
and what about MDS, what is to be done with that in this franken-Hemi?
You can leave the lifters in as running the manual calibration deactivates it. Although I would pull them out along with the MDS solenoids but if you go through that trouble might as well swap the cam for a non-MDS as well. Not saying it is a worthwhile job...I think you highlighted it well. I was just giving the tech details of what is involved.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Well, they did call automatics back then "Slushbox"

A Guy

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
On a semi-unrelated note: I once invented a drink I call the Mad-Slushee. It’s easy to make, just buy an X-large Slushee from a local convenience store and grab a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 from the local liquor store and mix them together.

Oddly enough trying to match the flavors of the two disparate drinks turns out to taste worse than mixing different flavors of the two.

NOTE: make sure you don’t have anything important to do the next day, as all it takes is one Mad-Slushee to ruin 2 consecutive days...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Reactions: mcm95403

·
Registered
16,479 Posts
Ah that complicates things as the bellhousing is different but you might be able to use a set-up from a Jeep. There was a thread that asked this not too long ago. Wonder if anyone has actually done the conversion like some have done on the magnum?
I think FCA built a few M6 V6 cars in 2010 as test mules but obviously never made it to production. Wonder if those cars are still around.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
728 Posts
now is a good time to trade if you feel the need for a manual Challenger. Easier also.
parrott

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
My right side door speaker has been making crackling noises when I traverse bumps.

One way to address this is to identify the wiring connection spot that is compromised and cut & splice the wire to remove the weak spot.

Another way to address it would be to replace all 4 shocks & struts, all four tires, and the right side door with new OEM replacement parts and components.

Both routes to the solution are possible, but only one route makes any sense to take. The other route is impractical and prohibitively expensive, and yet it doesn’t yield a demonstrably better result.

If this analogy feels contrived, that’s because it is. Yet its validity remains intact... 🤔

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,512 Posts
Not true there is a uber cheap solution...leave the radio off or muted. Or you could swap the speak into a different charger with better suspension and use that charger as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Not true there is a uber cheap solution...leave the radio off or muted.
The head-unit’s powered up/down status doesn’t matter to my Crux BEECR Bluetooth/Handsfree device. It bypasses the car’s headunit and accesses the amplifiers directly. So the car stereo can be turned off, and the speakers can be playing, or crackling, just as loudly as if it were turned on.

Reactions: ChallyTatum
1 - 20 of 25 Posts