Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WEll, i dont want to make a post like this, but i think my car has a lemon tranny.

when i picked up the car, it was a little notchy, which i let go because it was a new car.

after about 3500 kms it was the same, if not worse than before.

so at around 42-4500 kms i took it to a buddy at chrysler, and he said they have had cases come in like this, so its nothing major.

Now, the car has 7838 kms on it, i went to get the car washed last night just before i stored it for the winter. While on the way to the detailers, i noticed the trans a little odd, as it shifted harder than before, but thought nothing of it as it was freezing outside and car was not completely warm.

now i get to the detailers, but hes closed, so i say meh, ill go to the one by my place. This is where the fun begins.:werd:

on my way there, im at a light, nice and clear, no salt on the roads yet, nor any dirt. I give it a light first gear pull, and then a moderate 2nd gear up till 4900 rpm ( wheelspin ) i put it into 3rd and let it coast to the next light, at this point, the car pops out of third, and for the life of me, i couldnt get it into any gears AT ALL.

i shut the car off, and managed to get it into 6th, but that didnt help. luckily i was 500m away from work at this point and pushed the car to work ( with the help of my budies)

NOW. the next day, i get in the car to see whats up, and to my amazment, the car goes into gear fine, and shifts somewhat smooth.

at this point i had the car towed to chrysler to have them look at it, but i doubt theyll do anything as its going into gear now... pissoff..

so, any thoughts on to whats up? service tech already said they cant do much. basically told me to beat it till it blows.

any thoughts? :scratchhead:

BTW, the car is a 2010 Challenger R/T 6 speed..

·
Registered
225 Posts
im not sure if what im experienceing is a problem or normal for a new car. i have a 2010 r/t 6spd and shifting into 3rd it seems to catch something and occassionally hear a slight grind even tho the clutch is pushed in all the way. it doesnt happen all the time either, usually at low speeds. the car has about 3200miles on it now

·
Vendor
348 Posts
I have a "Pops out of 2nd gear" post a few down from this one :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
could it have anything to do with the skip shift?

maybe theres an issue with it popping out of gear and then since the conditions were now right the skip shift enganged and didnt let you put it back into third or second?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Just take your car into the dealership and tell them that you're having problems with putting the car into second gear. I did and my dealership replaced "every" syncro the car had - without even test-driving to verify. Just looking at the list of stuff they did and all the parts involved, I'd swear they replaced EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Isn't there some sort of technical service bulletin for these trannys popping out of gear? I remember reading it somewhere. There is some sort of test that can be performed on the transmission to see if it needs repair.

I went through the same problem with a ford dealership a couple of years ago. Mustang gt 5 speed manual transmission (Tremec) having a slight grind 1-2 and 2-3 shifts (sound familiar?). 1st time I was told everything was fine, no problems....yeah, ok. So I chalked it up as the tranny not being "broken in" since it only had about 1500 miles on it. About 6 months later I come across the technical service bulletin specifically for this issue, which had been in effect when I had previously brought the car in. Now I'm p.o'd and print a copy of it and set up another service appointment. This time I hand it to the service guy and tell him I'm still having the issue and that apparently there had been a fix this whole time. On another occasion I had to do the same thing with the front strut mounts (one of which had fallen apart in the tech's hand after he removed it). In the end, the work was performed and everything turned out fine, but not until they were "pushed" a bit. Also, both times I did ride alongs with the tech to show them exactly what I was talking about.

See if you can find a copy of the TSB for this issue, print it out and bring it to the dealership. If not, try another dealership or run a few more 4000-4500 rpm shifts through her until she finally gives out.....sounds like it's not far off. Good luck and I hope you get her fixed soon:thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
im not sure if what im experienceing is a problem or normal for a new car. i have a 2010 r/t 6spd and shifting into 3rd it seems to catch something and occassionally hear a slight grind even tho the clutch is pushed in all the way. it doesnt happen all the time either, usually at low speeds. the car has about 3200miles on it now
Right now i have EXACTLY the same issue with my 3rd gear!! I've been a little worried about, especailly since my car had already spent 3 weeks at the shop for a syncro issue with my trans. I guess you could say this is something i know about lol, when i bought my 2010 6-speed, with 7400 miles on the clock, 4rth gear was really hard to get into and would grind like crazy if the RPMs went much above 2000. I've been told that the 2010 Tremecs have had alot of Syncro issues, i would say that's probably what the issue is with ironchallengers transmission.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Mine can grind so hard that I have to back out of it and come back to third gear, but it only does it when I'm really getting on it and only occasionally. I thought they fixed the synchro issue on the 2010's with better materials, though. Maybe you got a really early 2010? Mine's a 2009.

HemiSam

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Sounds like you may be experiencing clutch bind? There is a Star Center case #K38556860, that has them remove the tranny, clean the grease off the shaft and clutch, and replace with a thinner, lower heat grease. 23 spline shafts have VERY tight tolerances, throw in thicker( Viper type) grease, and dust from friction disks, you get binding clutches. Probably the reason they have gone to 10 spline shafts on the 2011s. Triple cone synchros on 1,2,and 3 gears is another thing, but your symptoms really sound more like clutch bind, have them check the Star Center number, may just be the cure, good luck and make sure and let us know what happens, Mark

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey thanks for all the input guys,

Dealer said thay cannot go any further into repairs as they cannot see any problems from the road test as well as any TSB's released.

soo, with that said,

im picking the car up tonight, slappin her up on the hoist and pulling the trans. like they say, "if you want it done right, you gotta do it your self."

and while im up there i might throw in a better clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
What I'm starting to glean from several threads is the 2010 manual version may have more negatives than the 09's. Very strange considering they took action to "improve" the 10's. Damned funny many say I abuse mine and maybe I do but so far not a peep. Drive it like you stole it may indeed be good advice. No one ever had to tell me that :)

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ i think your right bud, and i do plan to beat the crap out of my car. but like i said, once i get the car back, id rather tear it apart my self, i think i have more knowledge than the chrysler techs looking at my car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
going to the dealership today and see what they have to say about it. will let you guys know what the problem is if any. thanks for the info

·
Registered
100 Posts
going to the dealership today and see what they have to say about it. will let you guys know what the problem is if any. thanks for the info
I'm really interested to hear what you find out, like i said mine does exactly the same thing with third gear. I'm not really driving mine right since the weather has gone completely down the crapper, so it still be while before i take mine to the dealer.

·
Vendor
348 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday. They too said w/o any TSB's it's tough to diagnose unless it was a continuous thing they could duplicate. They drove it and of course it was fine. I told them it has only happened 3 times in the past month and "folks across the forums are experiencing the same thing" lol.

This is a big enough issue that hopefully Mopar will issue a TSB on it. Question is how do we get them to recognize the issue quicker for a TSB???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts