Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to bring my R/T 6-speed into the dealer for the input shaft grease issue.

Does anyone know if the shifter needs to be removed in order to drop the transmission?

Reason I ask is I have some electronics wired with routing under the center console and don't want that to be an issue with the Technician.

Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not the voice of authority but I think that is almost certainly required. The shifter handle is banded to the boot and trim. The wouldn't need to pull the console but they are probably going to have to pop off that trim and undo the two bolts holding the shifter to the tranny to pull it down.

·
Super Moderator
15,059 Posts
The console top must be removed and the tunnel cover removed (the rear mount on the shifter is attached to the tunnel cover panel). There's a rubber "mat" over the tunnel cover that must removed to access the nut on the rear stud.

The front forks of the shifter are attached to the top of the trans case.
To gain access to remove the tunnel cover, console top must be removed for that...I'd recommend removing the shifter handle to avoid damaging it on the R & R.

Beyond that, the shifter can remain on the trans as its lowered from the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alrighty, I know what I have to do now before bringing her in, thanks.

Keeping fingers crossed my dealer can get this covered under my Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I beg to differ.

You should be able to get the trans out with leaving the center console intact. All the linkage can be accesed from under neith the vehicle.

There is 1 through bolt and 2 pins. Remove them from the underside of the vehicle and the shifter and center console can all stay in the car. According the the Chrysler repair manual that is how it is done. It does NOT tell you to remove the center console or the shifter. Just says put trans in first gear to access the through bolt. And then remove the pins.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I beg to differ.

You should be able to get the trans out with leaving the center console intact. All the linkage can be accesed from under neith the vehicle.

There is 1 through bolt and 2 pins. Remove them from the underside of the vehicle and the shifter and center console can all stay in the car. According the the Chrysler repair manual that is how it is done. It does NOT tell you to remove the center console or the shifter. Just says put trans in first gear to access the through bolt. And then remove the pins.
Thanks for that info. I was thinking this might actually be possible. It makes more sense really, much faster for a Tech to drop the tranny this way.

I think you just saved me a bunch of work. :)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Had a picture showing that (don't need to remove top/shifter), but couldn't get it from phone to lappytop to post it, so X2 on no worries! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts