Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody,

What is the word on the 6 Speed transmission on the 2015 and 2016 R/T's? I test drove a couple new Challengers and they sort of felt chunky. I test drove a use 2013 SRT which I think uses the same transmission and it felt pretty good.

Does the transmission "break in" like a pair of shoes and feel better after a couple thousand miles?

The reason why I am asking is because I would like to get manual mainly for the additional level of engagement in driving. My current car is a Cadillac and the auto is convenient and I can live with it in a luxury car but for something sporty like the Challenger I'd want a manual.

But here is the rub, there are no Challengers with M6's within 500 miles of where I live. It is going to be a pain to drive out just to buy one. There are hundreds of A8's around me. I looked at Texas it seems that there are maybe 20 M6's and about 400 A8's. In my state there is only 1 M6 and it is over 500 miles away.

So my question to you is, is it worth the hassle and lack of option/color choice to get an M6 transmission? I wasn't too impressed with the feel in the new cars. My friend had an old Mustang and the manual transmission kind of sucked, it felt like something out of a pickup truck , with that mustang I would've gone with an auto. The manuals on my old Porsche, my old Honda S2000 and BMW 3 felt smooth as butter and were awesome, but the Tremec doesn't feel in that league.

Also how is the reliability of the TR-6060 and the clutch? All the other manuals I drove were on small engine cars, Fiat Spider, Miata, S2000, old Porsche 911, and older 325, nothing with the torque of the 5.7 in the R/T. In the small cars I changed the clutches out at about 100K and they still had some life left. Is the clutch in the Challenger something that will need replacing at 60K or will it give 100K of service.

Everyone raves about the A8 and that would be way easier for me to get since it seems that 95% of what makes are automatics. What gives? Why are there so few manual Challengers out there?

Thanks,
Anchovy D

·
Premium Member
7,301 Posts
I think the Tremec and the dual disk clutch are very good. And it did take a little time for my 2009 to break in. My 2015 shifted even better than the 2009 and seemed broken in as soon as I got it.

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tranny is good so far, I have a 2014 and have had no issues so far. I did change the stock shifter to a Barton and this made the shifts feel more engaged than the stock unit. I did reuse the stock handle. The only issue I have is the second gear nibble when it's cold, but after it warms up its fine.

There are a lot of cars out there laying down some serious power on the stock units with no major failures and still on the stock clutch. The A8 is a sick tranny, shifts way faster than any manual. For me I like driving a stick shift car anything else just feels like a regular car.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
The TR6060 is a very good transmission. One of the best out there IMO. Very strong and reliable with a close ratio spread. The 1-2 shifts are a bit notchy when cold, which may be what your experiencing. It's not just the challengers, all cars with the TR6060 experience the same thing. It's totally normal.

·
Super Moderator
15,766 Posts
I think the Tremec and the dual disk clutch are very good. And it did take a little time for my 2009 to break in. My 2015 shifted even better than the 2009 and seemed broken in as soon as I got it.
By experience mirrors bwbike - I had an '09 notchy on 1>2 shift on cold drive off, but improved greatly by 13.5k

I have a '16 and it feels 'broken in' already and shifts more smoothly as if it has miles of use on in (I have 2.9K so far).

One thing the OP might do is widen the search or look for a dealer-to-dealer transfer. If you want a particular transmission, why compromise just due to local inventory at that point in time doesn't have one?

Or, order a car and get the color, transmission and options you want.

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
29 Posts
The TR6060 is a very good transmission. One of the best out there IMO. Very strong and reliable with a close ratio spread. The 1-2 shifts are a bit notchy when cold, which may be what your experiencing. It's not just the challengers, all cars with the TR6060 experience the same thing. It's totally normal.
Yes the 1-2 nibble is normal behavior of the TR6060 regardless of what vehicle it is in. It's more of a characteristic of the tranny than a issue. But once it's warmed up its smooth as silk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that is what I felt in the new 2015 and 2016 Challengers, it felt kind of chunky getting in to second gear. The other gears weren't bad. On the used SRT with 5000 miles that I test drove, the transmission was smoother. Maybe it was the pistol grip shifter.. Ha.

But I guess all signs point to M6 for me. How does a dealer transfer work? Can you still negotiate a good price? Seems like I'd get a better deal going directly to the guy who wants it off his lot and negotiating. Either way, I am going to be getting a manual.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my TR-6060. After 35,000 km or so (If my memory serves me right) it started to shift smoother. 75,000 km on it now and it's still great.

·
Registered
309 Posts
How does a dealer transfer work? Can you still negotiate a good price? Seems like I'd get a better deal going directly to the guy who wants it off his lot and negotiating.
Yes, you probably get a better deal buying directly from the lot that has what you want. Don't ignore the option of ordering exactly what you want, either. While you might get a slightly better deal on something that's already sitting on a lot, keep in mind that you're probably paying for extra options that you might not have really wanted.

Are you a Costco member? If so, try their buying program. They have pre-set pricing on most cars - I got a great deal on a Scat Pack (below invoice) by ordering it through their partner dealership.

·
Registered
14,496 Posts
How does a dealer transfer work? Can you still negotiate a good price?
They will just trade cars, your dealer gets from him the car you want and your dealer sends a car to him that he wants, not much to it and your dealer should still be able to give you a good price but he will have some added transportation costs so hopefully the car he finds is local. Still not a big deal but dealer will want to know you are serious before doing it and may want more deposit.

I also agree with ordering, this is the only way to go imho. Build your car on Truecar.com and let the dealers contact you. Delivery times now are only about 30 days and you get exactly what you want and nothing that don't want at a great price.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
930 Posts
Love, love, LOVE my Tremec-equipped Challenger.

Its a BIG transmission for big engines- its never going to have that disconnected, stirring-yogurt feel of Honda stickshift. You feel and hear it working, especially going into 2nd gear, but its fantastic. I strongly recommend a Barton shifter to enhance the experience. The clutch forces are surprisingly light, which is a big departure from the muscle-car era transmissions.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I agree with everything in this thread thus far but there are a few things not yet mentioned that you should also be aware of.

1) These transmissions/clutches make mechanical noises. The noises are noticeable in the cabin and normal for this trans setup.
2) The transmission has a skip shift feature which forces you to shift from 1st to 4th under certain conditions. Get a skip shift eliminator asap.
3) Changing the fluid is a pain in the a$$ because of a cross bar that blocks the drain.

As for clutch life, it really depends on you. If you know how to drive a manual transmission, and you are not a weekend racer, it should last beyond 100k.

Best of luck finding your ride.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Three of the four Challengers I had were 6-speeds and I had no problems with any of them. Plus the added benefits of no MDS and a better sounding exhaust plus a whopping 3 more horsepower.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
485 Posts
Love mine! If most of your driving is stoplight to stoplight, the A8 will be much easier. The M6 is an enthusiast only transmission, certainly not for everyone. You won't beat the time the same driver could get with A8 at a drag strip, but if you like control, the M6 is the one. You don't have to fool with different settings for your throttle response, you have instant throttle in every situation, from feathering the clutch to a full throttle stab. Also you have complete control of that wonderful exhaust note. Lastly, you have a real shifter rather than a plastic video game controller.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
279 Posts
18k Miles and no real issues even with my wife driving it sometimes. It a lil clunky at first and bites 1-2 in the cold.. Same thing everyone else said. Mine makes a lil noise when in neutral with the clutch engaged but I guess thats normal too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had 192,000 miles on the transmission and original clutch until piston rings in cylinder #1 let go. Never had an issue with either and thought that the clutch/transmission were the best mechanical systems in the car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd just build yourself the car you want and order it! That's what I did today :thumbsup: Jumping ship from Camaro-ville! And yes, M6.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
How does a dealer transfer work? Can you still negotiate a good price? Seems like I'd get a better deal going directly to the guy who wants it off his lot and negotiating. Either way, I am going to be getting a manual.
If you do go the dealer transfer route make it VERY clear that you want the car transported, not driven. And expect to pay extra for that.

Regardless of what you do, do not take possession of the car until you have checked everything, - inside and out including trunk, high speed and low speed, shifting, braking and be sure to check for dents because once you drive away they will not fix dents.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Mine makes a lil noise when in neutral with the clutch engaged but I guess thats normal too.

Yes, they actually make quite a LOT of little muttering/chattering sounds in neutral. Perfectly normal, but noticeable if you're not used to it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'll let you know either later today or tomorrow after it gets delivered. I have a 15 RT 6 speed being delivered to my dealership (i work there). I actually had to go out to a 500 mile radius on a locate to find the car I wanted, unless I went with the 16 and the lease program wasn't nearly a good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts