Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Flyboy

I have an '09 RT, 6-spd manual with 112,000 km (about 70,000 mi) on it and have never been happy with my 6060 tranny. It is always very notchy getting into 2nd gear but especially when cold and it has been like this since I drove it off the showroom floor 7 years ago. There is frequently also a "nibble" going into 3rd gear. Sometimes pausing in neutral for a second or two during shifts will allow the synchro mechanism to work better, but this is not acceptable. European and Asian cars that I have rented are almost universally butter smooth. Why can't Tremec be this good even on a car with much more power and torque? Overall, I really like my Challenger, but the tranny is a constant pain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm the OP and just wanted to post a follow up for those following at home. I ended up getting the manual RT at a dealership out of state and have now put about 1800 miles on it in the last few weeks. I am so happy that I made the effort to hunt down a 6 speed.

The shifting on the Tremec is pretty good. It is a bit notchy getting into second when cold but once warmed up, it shifts really well. It isn't as sweet and smooth as my old S2000 or 944 but it is much better than my friend's late 80's Mustang.

AvidPilot, sorry to hear about your problems with the 6 speed. Your experience was what I was initially worried about. The manual transmissions on a lot of American cars that I've driven have kind of blown compared to the Japanese and European cars that I've tried. It seemed like manual transmissions are just an afterthought to Detroit and they don't put much effort into them whereas the automatics get all the love.

I am really pleased with the Tremec in my Challenger and am really loving having a manual back in my life. Also I've driven all over, city, highway, traffic jams, etc. and haven't yet come across the shift block thing where it blocks 2nd gear and forces you into 4th. That is the other thing that peeved me after reading about it but honestly it hasn't done it to me yet. I don't see this being an issue. I see that there is a cheap mod to prevent the solenoid from blocking second but seriously if it hasn't occurred in nearly 2000 miles of driving, how bad can this 1 to 4 thing be?

Do you guys ever get forced into 4th? Just the thought of it gets happening gets me insane but does it really occur "in the field"? or is it just some theoretical thing they do to get past emissions or mpg standards?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It is very real and happens if you shift around 19-21 mph (as it is designed to do), never noticed the rpm.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm the OP and just wanted to post a follow up for those following at home. I ended up getting the manual RT at a dealership out of state and have now put about 1800 miles on it in the last few weeks. I am so happy that I made the effort to hunt down a 6 speed.

The shifting on the Tremec is pretty good. It is a bit notchy getting into second when cold but once warmed up, it shifts really well. It isn't as sweet and smooth as my old S2000 or 944 but it is much better than my friend's late 80's Mustang.

AvidPilot, sorry to hear about your problems with the 6 speed. Your experience was what I was initially worried about. The manual transmissions on a lot of American cars that I've driven have kind of blown compared to the Japanese and European cars that I've tried. It seemed like manual transmissions are just an afterthought to Detroit and they don't put much effort into them whereas the automatics get all the love.

I am really pleased with the Tremec in my Challenger and am really loving having a manual back in my life. Also I've driven all over, city, highway, traffic jams, etc. and haven't yet come across the shift block thing where it blocks 2nd gear and forces you into 4th. That is the other thing that peeved me after reading about it but honestly it hasn't done it to me yet. I don't see this being an issue. I see that there is a cheap mod to prevent the solenoid from blocking second but seriously if it hasn't occurred in nearly 2000 miles of driving, how bad can this 1 to 4 thing be?

Do you guys ever get forced into 4th? Just the thought of it gets happening gets me insane but does it really occur "in the field"? or is it just some theoretical thing they do to get past emissions or mpg standards?
I picked mine up last Saturday after going through the exact same searches as you for a manual, with a piece of wondering if I should just get the a8 with all the praise it gets. Ended up with a 6mt optioned out exactly how I wanted it, vehicle was 500 miles away, and I couldn't be happier either. It is slightly notchey on the 1-2 but as you stated it gets better as the car warms up. I've previously had a bunch of imports with 6 speeds, (2 g35's, a few maximas, and an m3) The g35 honestly wasn't great at all. The shifter was good, but the clutch was terrible. It was like an on/off switch with no engagement point. I experienced this more on my 07 g35S (new model) than my 06 coupe (first body style) but the coupe wasn't great either. They also had terribly loud throw out bearings that made them almost sound like a diesel if the clutch wasn't depressed at a stop. My m3 had a great clutch, but terrible shift lever. The gears were fine, but the stock lever was tremendous and rubbery...a short throw really did that car wonder.

The reality is a third pedal may be more of an after thought on imports than it is with domestics, as the majority of those cars I just mentioned don't even offer a manual anymore.

As far as the 1-4 skip shift it happens only if you accelerate very easily from first, and shift at around 3k or bellow. Its honestly not as bad as everyone makes it out to be either. If I'm accelerating and shifting that slowly it usually means I'm in lazy mode anyway, so that saving of 2 shifts doesn't really bother me lol. It's maybe gotten in the way and caught me by surprise once.

I'd also like to add something regarding imports vs domestics. I could be way off here, but I think its just the nature of the beast, literally. Most american cars that are manual are big, burly, overhead valve torque monster v8's. The imports consist more of high reving, lower torque 6's and 4's. I would imagine transmissions would have to be a little beefed up to handle the former, which helps play a part in how the fell.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
haven't yet come across the shift block thing where it blocks 2nd gear and forces you into 4th. That is the other thing that peeved me after reading about it but honestly it hasn't done it to me yet. I don't see this being an issue. I see that there is a cheap mod to prevent the solenoid from blocking second but seriously if it hasn't occurred in nearly 2000 miles of driving, how bad can this 1 to 4 thing be?

Just wait until you're in a tight situation, like turning left at an intersection from a stop, and you try to shift and get locked out. Those few seconds it takes to figure out WTF is wrong could be the longest few seconds you'll spend all week.

Just get the Skip Shift Eliminator and forget it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah Rocco, I was thinking about that because all the american cars with manuals I drove were V8's with torque and the imports were mostly four cylinder and a couple six cylinders. I thought maybe the transmissions on the imports were more refined because they cared more about manual or they didn't need to be so beefy to handle the torque.

I also felt the same as you with everyone raving about the 8 speed auto, "was it worth it to put the extra effort into getting a manual 600 miles away?" Needless to say, I feel that it was and would do it again. Funny thing is you've got the car I was initially looking for, an Ivory RT. Couldn't find any Ivories anywhere within 1000 miles, closest thing was a white one in Miami about 850 miles away. So I gave up on Ivory, I ended up getting a sublime RT.

Czechman, I have the Skip Shift Eliminator website bookmarked and was all set to get one as the first order of business after reading the reviews, posts and manual but after driving it a lot and not encountering any skipping, it is now a low priority item for me. I'm sure that once it happens to me I'll pull the trigger tout suite. After reading the posts I was expecting it to happen whenever driving around the neighbor hood, navigating a parking lot or in bumper to bumper traffic. But 2K miles so far in all sorts of conditions and not a peep from the Skip Shift. PS - That black redline RT in your sig looks fanastic. I'm not normally a fan of black cars but that car just pops with that mirror finish and the red striping, it really looks good.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I also felt the same as you with everyone raving about the 8 speed auto, "was it worth it to put the extra effort into getting a manual 600 miles away?" Needless to say, I feel that it was and would do it again. Funny thing is you've got the car I was initially looking for, an Ivory RT. Couldn't find any Ivories anywhere within 1000 miles, closest thing was a white one in Miami about 850 miles away. So I gave up on Ivory, I ended up getting a sublime RT.
LOL thats funny, I actually almost got a sublime. I ended up not because it was a frigging base base RT AUTOMATIC. I love the sublime, but it didn't have a roof, no stripes, 5 inch screen nothing. I almost settled because I needed to get a 15 for the lease program I got, and the rest were blacks and one red. When I went 500 miles out I found this car in kentucky and I'm in NY. I love the sublime, and honestly if the one I was getting had some breakout on the exterior (at least a modern hood stripe) I prob would have gotten it, but I'm also glad I didn't settle because things like unonnect 8.4 and audio package were important to me. Still wish I could have gotten STP though. Now that I have the Ivory I will admit I do love it, but I think sublime fits the personality of this car. My first choice was actually b5 blue....but no luck finding those optioned out correctly either.

As far as the manual goes I would absolutely do it again. How I convinced myself was going over my past purchases. From 18 (when I started in this business) till now at 32 years old I've bought and leased about 14 cars. A pretty even mix of them were auto and manual, probably tipped a little more in favor of the auto due the nature of a few of the cars not even having a manual option. The one thing I was certain was every auto I got I always ended up wishing I got a stick. Never once did I get a stick and wish I got an auto.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gentlemen ... re the skip shift issue .... the car will prevent the driver from shifting from 1 into 2 or 3 and allow only a shift from 1 to 4 only under a specific set of conditions, one of which I understand is engine temp at full normal (i.e. 100 degrees C). I drove my RT 6 spd for a long time before encountering this issue and when it happened i thought something was wrong with the tranny. A talk with the tranny doctor at the local dealer and a quick look at the owner's manual proved it is an intentional part of the car's design - to help it get better fuel mileage and therefore avoid the gas guzzler tax. However, I found it really annoying - I don't want my car deciding how/when I can shift so I ordered and installed an aftermarket skip shift eliminator. Cost was $25. It is simply a 250 ohm resistor that plugs into the side of the aft end of the transmission where a wire exits and goes to the computer that controls the skip shift implementation. A dealer's mechanic and I installed the resistor in about 5 minutes when the car was on a hoist for an oil change. Have never had the problem since. Simple fix. No complications, Works well. ... Avid Pilot

·
Registered
3 Posts
The TR6060 is a very good transmission. One of the best out there IMO. Very strong and reliable with a close ratio spread. The 1-2 shifts are a bit notchy when cold, which may be what your experiencing. It's not just the challengers, all cars with the TR6060 experience the same thing. It's totally normal.
I have the M6 in my 13 R/T. When I bought the car, I noticed that 2nd gear nibble when cold, after reading many comments, it is normal for this tranny, when she warms up, it smooths out. I changed out the fluid and refilled with Royal Purple Synchromax. Installed the Barton Shifter, skip shift eliminator and deleted the clutch delay valve. I also added the pedal commander, now it redlines very quickly in sport plus mode. I love this tranny, its a beast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a little over a year, and about 5k miles on my 2018 R/T 6M. I have no issues or complaints. I have not once experienced the forced “skip shift” from 1st to 4th. Guess it must be the way I drive. I actually enjoy the notchy feel of the shifter other have complained about. Clutch, in my opinion, is very well matched to the car, and easy to drive compared to other manuals I have driven. I also own a 2009 Mustang GT with a 5 speed manual. Not nearly as enjoyable as the Challenger. Mustang kind of has an import type of feel to it. Very light clutch, and Shifter feel. I went into this wanting an auto, but found this car for thousands of $ off. After the test drive, I had no desire to even take an auto for a ride. I am happy with my decision.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Coming up on 8 years and 120,000 trouble free miles on my '12 R/T w/M6 trans, almost all of these miles were on the highway as I do a lot of road trips.
It has always shifted smoothly for me, even when new, and use of AmsOil ATF in the trans has allowed it to continue to perform flawlessly IMHO. Do get the skip shift eliminator to get rid of that retarded 1-4 jump when shifting, it is downright dangerous if you are in traffic. Also, removal of the clutch delay valve in the line to the slave cylinder will make a difference as well.
Love having no MDS crap to deal with and the resultant sweet exhaust note!

Reactions: CountZ
21 - 31 of 31 Posts