Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard about Dodge repairing the 2nd gear synchros under warranty? I have an 09 SRT with 22k miles and it keeps getting more difficult to shift into 2nd gear. I heard that the newer TR6060's have upgraded carbon fiber synchro rings. Would they replace the trans or rebuild it? I would like to learn more about this problem before I talk to my dealer. Any info will be helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did you have a skip-shift eliminator or Predator tune installed? If not, it just might be the skip-shift engaging and trying to force you to 4th gear. I'm pretty sure you can force it through, but I have no idea if doing so regularly would cause this issue.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Good point by shadowmelder. It is one of the most annoying "features" of the 6-speeds and really a safety hazard IMO. In case you aren't familiar, here is what the manual says:

1–4 Skip Shift
There are times when you must shift the transmission directly from first gear to fourth gear instead of from first gear to second gear. This is to help you get the best possible fuel economy from your vehicle. This occurs when the engine coolant (antifreeze) is higher than 106°F (41°C), vehicle speed is greater than 19 mph (30 km/h) but less than 21 mph (34 km/h), and the transmission is in first gear, and the accelerator is at 1/4 throttle or less. The “1–4 Skip Shift Indicator Message” will be displayed
during these times.

When the “1–4 Skip Shift Indicator Message” is displayed, the shift mechanism will only allow shifts from first gear to fourth gear. After you shift the transmission to fourth gear, you can press the clutch in and shift to another forward gear.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just had all of my sychros replaced at 14K miles. It took them over 5 weeks to do it though. I demanded they replace the tranny but they refused.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did they use the upgraded tremec synchro bands? I don't want them to put the same junk parts back in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed a skip shift elim. the same day I got my car! It does go into 2nd a little better when it warms up, when its really cold, I prefer to skip right to 3rd.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Did they use the upgraded tremec synchro bands? I don't want them to put the same junk parts back in.
I don't know to be honest. I asked them if they were putting newer better parts in or the old '09 synchros and they said they didnt know, everything in their inventory is supersceeded and they have no knowledge if they are newer or not. I have the paperwork in front of me and it says.

-Replaced rings from:
1st - 2nd
3rd - 4th
5th - 6th
-Bearing 2nd/3rd gear
-Replaced input/output shaft seal
-Bearing shaft input
-replaced Shaft-transmission

Thats the jist of it. 2nd gear feels harder to get into than it did in the past but whatever. I hired a lawyer and financially reminded Chrysler that they shouldn't take my 1 year old car and make me wait 5 weeks for one synchro ring to come in. Best of luck to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts