Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

For those of you with a 6 speed manual transmission, remote start, and keyless go, what is the process when you start the car with the remote and want to drive. Do you just get in and go or do you have to press the keyless go button first? Also, is there anything you have to do when you turn the car off in order to get the remote starter activated?

·
Registered
528 Posts
You can't get the remote start with 6-speeds, unless you can fabricate it yourself. It would kind of dangerous if you forgot to take it out of gear before starting

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Well that's not true you can turn on the remote start in the 6 speed we just went over that yesterday the only problem is if you leave it in gear it will be engaged so I chose not to do that...
as for the push button yes the car needs to recognize the fob as long as it's between the pilars and front seat. the 2011 you just need the fob on your person to open the doors and push the button to start

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well that's not true you can turn on the remote start in the 6 speed we just went over that yesterday...
How does it get turned on? StarScan or equivalent? If it's a StarScan, will the dealer actually turn it on? Seems like a lawsuit in the making should someone get injured.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
How does it get turned on? StarScan or equivalent? If it's a StarScan, will the dealer actually turn it on? Seems like a lawsuit in the making should someone get injured.
we were actually in the tuning software from diablo if I remember correct...

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Well that's not true you can turn on the remote start in the 6 speed we just went over that yesterday the only problem is if you leave it in gear it will be engaged so I chose not to do that...
as for the push button yes the car needs to recognize the fob as long as it's between the pilars and front seat. the 2011 you just need the fob on your person to open the doors and push the button to start
Was that in a different thread? Can you please post a link to it??

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's actually quite simple to have the remote start in the 6-speed. Depending on whether you go with a factory one is a different matter. Most starters for manual transmissions have a fail safe which require the vehicle to be in neutral and the E-brake engaged before it'll start up - if 1 of these conditions isn't met, the remote start will not work. Some installers fail to include this which makes them dangerous but if you get an installer that knows what they're doing its no problem at all.

My question is more about the process after you have remotely started your vehicle. For those that have the push button go and an automatic transmission, if you have remotely started your vehicle, can you walk me through your process in order for you to drive away? Do you just get in, buckle up and go or do you need to press the keyless go button?

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Was that in a different thread? Can you please post a link to it??
I should of said that Steve and I discussed doing this yesterday sorry for the confusion. Happy New Year :)

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
It's actually quite simple to have the remote start in the 6-speed. Depending on whether you go with a factory one is a different matter. Most starters for manual transmissions have a fail safe which require the vehicle to be in neutral and the E-brake engaged before it'll start up - if 1 of these conditions isn't met, the remote start will not work. Some installers fail to include this which makes them dangerous but if you get an installer that knows what they're doing its no problem at all.

My question is more about the process after you have remotely started your vehicle. For those that have the push button go and an automatic transmission, if you have remotely started your vehicle, can you walk me through your process in order for you to drive away? Do you just get in, buckle up and go or do you need to press the keyless go button?
I do have this option on my Ram Truck a 09 when you use the remote start it will run for about 5 minutes it also turns on my heated seats, defroster, and ventilation system it remains locked so you have to unlock the vehicle to gain entry and then you need to hit the start button it also9 great in the summer as it turns on the AC
These are all safety precautions and theft deterrents no fob your not going anywhere also if you hit your remote start button before entering you can turn off the vehicle when it in this mode.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an 09 Ram with remote start as well so I am definitely familiar with that process. You mentioned in your post that you have to push the start button...do you have keyless go in your ram?

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I installed a remote Start set-up in my 2009 R/T 6 Speed. I used a Directed Electronics Model 991 ( P/N 5702P). I made a Magnetic Switch assembly that detects the status of the Transmission and is part of the Remote Start Permissive. In addition to the Transmission Netural switch there is a E-brake Permissive, a Clutch By-pass and a Hood closed switch. I set mine up such that the Windows have to be uo and the doors locked. I bought a interface Harness so I did not have to cut any wires. It was pertty much plug & play and a little programming

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Has anyone seen the recent 1,000 ways to die show. A guy just bought a new heavily modified manual transmission pick up. He had remote start installed against the advice of the shop. While showing off the remote start feature he started it while standing in front of the truck and it ran him over and crushed his skull. I would not install a remote start on any manual trans car.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone seen the recent 1,000 ways to die show. A guy just bought a new heavily modified manual transmission pick up. He had remote start installed against the advice of the shop. While showing off the remote start feature he started it while standing in front of the truck and it ran him over and crushed his skull. I would not install a remote start on any manual trans car.
LOL, People also die while driving cars. I'm surprised you don't stop driving as well.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I know someone that died also from his remote-start Supra.

The main issue is also that you have to park in neutral. Why the hell would you park in neutral?

Secondary issue is WTH do you do with a remote start?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know someone that died also from his remote-start Supra.

The main issue is also that you have to park in neutral. Why the hell would you park in neutral?

Secondary issue is WTH do you do with a remote start?
I always park in neutral....

People living in cold climates can start their car so it warms up for them before they drive. Similarly, in hot climates, you can cool the car down prior.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I made a Magnetic Switch assembly that detects the status of the Transmission and is part of the Remote Start Permissive.
I would love to know more about this switch of yours. I would only ever put a R-S on a stick if I had one of these and it was fool proof. Can you tell me more about how this works and what you used? Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Most remote start companies offer a manual transmission model now.

In order for it to work you have to:

1. press brake pedal
2. apply e-brake
3. release brake
4. send remote start command
5. remove keys from ignition/car stays running
6. exit vehicle and arm alarm.

After you arm the alarm the car will turn off. This is how it knows you are in neutral----if you are outside of the vehicle when it shuts off, it knows it isnt in gear. If you dont follow this procedure precisely, or if you introduce any extra steps it wont remote start. It works very well.

Rwamser: How is your switch assembly holding up? It was very detailed and had extra fail-safes but seemed like it was very well thought out.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I totally agree that to put a remote start on a Manual transmission car requires some care. The following is required A fool prof method to insure that the Transmission is in Netural. That the E-Brake is fully applied. That the Clutch is By-Passed . That a hood switch is installed. I have made my 2009 Challenger R/T 6 Speeed Remote as Fool Proff as I could. I have 2 Magnetic Switches that insures that the Transmission is in Netural with a LED Netural indicator on the Dash once I adjusted the Mag switches ( 1 1/2 years ago ) I have not had a failure( it just Works ). The LED on the dash blinks everytime I shift or is on when in Netural. The circuit is set-up such that if a wire breaks or I have poor contact the remote start will not work

1 - 18 of 18 Posts