Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hit 600 mile marker today. Thought folks my be interested in my impressions.

Picked the car up 2 weeks ago. Since then I've done a number of daily commutes, around town shopping trips plus a number of recreational blasts :bigthumb:

Power delivery for the 45/50-70/75mph for overtaking is simply awesome. You need to push the accelerator past what seems to be a pre-defined point to give the auto transmission its wake up call to drop into a lower gear. Was a little frustrating at first, but once you get used to the pressure needed it quickly becomes instinctive and after a very brief delay (less than a normal manual shift) the low gear is smoothly selected and the car rapidly flies past the car in front :). Gear change rpms seems to be dependent on how much gas you've given it. The more you've pressed the pedal the higher the tranny will let the rpms rise before upshifting. 9 out 10 for overtaking speed power delivery.

Standing starts are great on dry, smooth surfaces. Great engine roar and very quick speed pick up. On greasy or bumpy pavement its clear the traction control takes over and take offs can be a little labored until your moving but then you're quickly back on the juice. 9 out of 10, good conditions, 6 out of 10 non-ideal pavement.

The handling is very impressive at all times. Steering feedback gives confidence with spirited cornering and the F1's have stunning grip. The stability control gives you the confidence of Michael Schumacher when you put the pedal down on a sweeping bend. The suspension handles bumps in tight bends extremely well for a big car. I've had a couple of moments when I hit an uneven section on one side of the car in a quick bend (50+) and the car took the bump with minimal sideways movement and no fuss or excessive twitch. I definitely have confidence that the car can handle these events very well, unlike the fixed rear suspensioned Mustang. All in all the programmers have done a great job with the traction control and stability control. I haven't yet turned off the TC or ESP yet, but I will once I've got better knowledge of the cars capabilities and limitations, or when I hit the track. All in all 8 out 10 for handling.

I was also keen to check out the car's poise in wet weather and am pleased to say that in pretty heavy rain (no standing water though) the car never got twitchy, took corners with great poise and most importantly is a pleasure to drive in the wet. Only thing to note is the TC does seem to intervene big time if you plant your foot, even at 50 mph. Which is great, since I feel it won't catch my wife out if she hits bad weather. So I give it a 9 out 10 in the wet with all the computer assistance on. Well done Dodge, the beast is nicely caged when needing to be :thumbsup:.

As for the auto transmission if you are in general gentle driving mode it is very conservative and upshifts to 5th quickly. However, if you start to drive more spiritedly it quickly gets the idea and will leave it in 3rd around a bend and the accelerator seems more direct again, giving back the feeling of a manual and the zip when you want it. Also, tried out the autostick a few times. Okay, the shifts are a bit clunky, but, and this is a big but, when you are in manual mode the accelerator feels much more direct. 3rd gear has ample power acrosse 30-90mph, more than sufficient for cruising in twistier sections. Wish the autostick was forward and back or flappy paddles instead of left/right which feels wrong. Also wish there was a mode selection for the tranny, even just a sports mode would have been nice to tighten up the accelerator and give more consistent higher rpm shifts. Transmission 6 out of 10 (but its still bloody good).

As I expected the car does feel a bit bulky around town due to its weight and traction restrictions on uneven pavement. But the exhaust and engine notes tone down well under 40mph hence the car cruises around nicely and it sure does get attention. It really feels like a car built for the open road....one with 150mph speed limits.

One final thing I think is cool is the awesome low frequency pop you get when the car shifts gear when accelerating hard.

Love it Dodge, truly love it. Now I just have to get the Nav fixed and hope its doesn't cut out again :) I'd love to hear others experience, especially on great driving roads (mountains, etc) that I don't have around here, sadly.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Great review I agree with pretty much everything you said.
I got my 392 last Saturday and only put 70 miles on it but it's been the best 70 miles of driving I've ever done. I absolutely love the sound of the exhaust, I turn the radio off just to listen to the acceleration sounds.
Definitely the nimblest car I've ever driving; the power to weight ratio makes me feel like I'm riding a bike rather than driving a two ton car.
Had a guy on a motorcycle honk and give me a thumbs up today, this car really does get a lot of attention. Definitely has incredible handling as well, never drove a 6.1 Chally but I'm aware that the steering ratio was a major issue in the older models. I have no problems with the new steering wheel, don't know why anybody would complain it's pretty nice.
The tranny seems pretty good in my opinion as it seems to shift pretty quick to me, and it flows rather than shudders. Haven't even been able to tell when the MDS kicks in as I haven't noticed a difference in power or sound while driving.
The 430N is giving me some issues as well, but not in terms of the Uconnect, mostly just the iPod compatibility with the iPhone 4. Got an old nano that works just fine for my own music.
I absolutely love my car, would not trade it for anything else.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Man I'm going to have to get out and start doing some driving I have put a total of 16 miles so far. Only one of my friends has seen the car so far and that was Chris at Hurst.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a question about the radio though. Is it still a 6 disk changer like in my Daytona or no? Since my music library on my computer is rather huge, I burn cd's as a data file and fit roughly 175 or so songs on one cd. My entire music collection that is on my computer fits on 5 disk's so I was just wondering if it's a multi changer still.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have a question about the radio though. Is it still a 6 disk changer like in my Daytona or no? Since my music library on my computer is rather huge, I burn cd's as a data file and fit roughly 175 or so songs on one cd. My entire music collection that is on my computer fits on 5 disk's so I was just wondering if it's a multi changer still.
Nope, only 1 CD drive, the MyGig will download all your CDs though so there really isn't a need for a 6 disc changer.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nope, only 1 CD drive, the MyGig will download all your CDs though so there really isn't a need for a 6 disc changer.
Ok Harrison, dont laugh or anyone else, but how does this Mygig thing work? I dont have an Ipod for that reason I stated in my post but do I now need one to download the music to it? Is there some wire that is connected somehow to another device or is the hard drive that smart where it'll just download the songs you want by typing them in on the screen of the radio?
My Daytona only has one slot for a cd also but it holds 6 disk's in it. Does it download the entire cd or can I just download certain songs from it? You know how sometimes a cd has maybe one or two good songs on it and the rest are garbage? It'd be a waste of space to have to download the entire cd for only a few songs. Damn, I'm gonna be out there all day with this car when I finally do get it, lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 430N will rip the entire CD to your myGig drive. You can however put the songs you want on a flashdrive or burn a CD/DVD with just the songs you want and have the myGig rip that. I've always been a CD guy myself..better audio quality..and I'm not convinced the myGig rips the songs at a high enough bitrate. I haven't seen any information on what format or bitrate it does rip them to.

Like others on the board I've had lots of problems with the 430N connecting with my iPhone 4. The uconnect works great but the iPod features are hit or miss. Sometimes I can use bluetooth streaming (sounds tinny though) and sometimes it has problems syncing so it sounds like it skips. Sometimes I can connect the iPhone 4 and use the iPod feature by connecting to the jack in the center armrest, sometimes it just gives me an error message. Very flakey...that really needs to get fixed.

I've got about 550 miles on my manual right now. The power is amazing and the engine really wakes up at about 3000rpm. There's no doubt this thing was made to GO! I would agree with earlier statements of handling. Pretty amazing how such a heavy car can feel so nimble and poised. I do have a gripe about the steering wheel though. I know they're going for the European car feel with the tight ratio but I think its a touch too tight and the wheel is just a little heavy. I traded in an Audi A4 S-Line on this and that car had some very impressive handling. The steering on the 392 is noticeably heavier and tighter. I think if the steering had been a little less tight the car would feel more nimble. Just my opinion.

On another note I've had a few problems with my manual trans grinding gears going into second. I think it might have something to do with the skip shift getting in the way. Gotta take her down to the shop and have them look at it. When I'm pushing the car, 2nd gear comes on naturally but then 3rd gear seems to tight a fit, like I really have to force it in there (queue the "that's what she said" jokes). When I'm driving nice, 2nd gear will grind unless I baby the pistol grip shifter into position. Its just not natural. I've only ever owned manual transmission cars and this is the first one that's giving me shifting issues. I hope it just needs a little tweaking.

All in all though, the driving experience is amazing! Tons of power when you want it and the engine is just sooo smooth.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ok Harrison, dont laugh or anyone else, but how does this Mygig thing work? I dont have an Ipod for that reason I stated in my post but do I now need one to download the music to it? Is there some wire that is connected somehow to another device or is the hard drive that smart where it'll just download the songs you want by typing them in on the screen of the radio?
My Daytona only has one slot for a cd also but it holds 6 disk's in it. Does it download the entire cd or can I just download certain songs from it? You know how sometimes a cd has maybe one or two good songs on it and the rest are garbage? It'd be a waste of space to have to download the entire cd for only a few songs. Damn, I'm gonna be out there all day with this car when I finally do get it, lol.
You can upload songs to the hard drive with a flash drive, but otherwise you'd have to download the whole CD, not just a select song from the CD. There's a button on the side of the Nav unit that you press which takes you to a menu where you can choose to upload the CD.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm at 990 miles and I can't stop driving the damn car lol. I have a small issue with the clutch that I need to have looked at on Tuesday.

·
Registered
421 Posts
You can upload songs to the hard drive with a flash drive, but otherwise you'd have to download the whole CD, not just a select song from the CD. There's a button on the side of the Nav unit that you press which takes you to a menu where you can choose to upload the CD.
Thanks for the answers everyone. Flash drive I can do since I've got them. Now the start of another week is here, hopefully I'll have a new toy by the end of this week to play with.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mariner, I do most of my driving in AutoStick. It enhances the driving experience, and the engine is a lot more responsive! This is my second Challenger, so I'm already used to working with it, although the 392 does react a bit differently. A friend of mine has already done the SRT Track Experience (I go in October) and he told me that they recommend using the AutoStick whenever possible.

I've also been told by my service tech that we should turn off the traction control during spirited driving, because you will wear down those Brembo's in a big hurry if you leave ESP engaged. Use your discretion, however, and always drive safe!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
A friend of mine has already done the SRT Track Experience (I go in October) and he told me that they recommend using the AutoStick whenever possible.
... except when at the SRT Track Experience!

I went twice and was basically told each time to leave the car in "D" and NEVER to disengage the traction control. Hmmm! Maybe they've changed their procedures...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm at 990 miles and I can't stop driving the damn car lol. I have a small issue with the clutch that I need to have looked at on Tuesday.
What kind of clutch problem??

I noticed that mine groans a bit when I begin to release it slowly, such as when reversing.

It's my only concern so far except the price of gas.

Anyone else have any issues with the clutch?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't want to beat a "dead horse" guys, but have any of you guys dumped the clutch on your stick cars from a dead start? Just wondering if the wheel hop issues have gotten any better with the '11 models as opposed to the "09 and "10 cars. THANKS!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts